My Bio Plastics experience

ultimatemj

Interesting "details" at the end of the link Marine Depot posted:
Biopellets are often marketed as a nitrate and phosphate reducer, but that's only partially true. There are different organisms that will feed on nitrate versus the ones that feed on phosphates. Biopellets tend toward the reduction of nitrates by boosting the organisms that feed on them. Phosphates will naturally reduce by a certain amount in relationship to the reduction of nitrates. That is somewhere around a 16:1 ratio, whereby a reduction of 16 parts of nitrate will see a reduction of 1 part of phosphate.

With biopellet systems, we're reducing nitrates at a level faster than we can reduce phosphates. Nitrates will often become undetectable when using solid carbon dosing such as what we are accomplishing with biopellets. The remaining phosphates, then, become food for cyanobacteria if it is not skimmed from the water column.

It is imperative that the hobbyist remove phosphates from the system at a level that matches that of the nitrate reduction. This can be accomplished via water changes, but it's certainly not the most effective or simple method. While biopellets can replace the need to run GFO in a system, GFO is a considerably more effective phosphate reducer. However, by over-skimming (or boosting effective skimming via the direction of reactor outflow to skimmer intake), many hobbyists have found it unnecessary to continue the use of GFO in a system with biopellets.
The emphasis is mine :)

Irsug1

Premium member
Hey guys, jumping in here. I am running the manufacturers suggested amount of 3ml per gallon and I still have undesirable nitrate & phosphate levels in my tank and its been almost a year. How do you all feel about going over the manufacturers suggested amount? Would I be asking for trouble? Thanks

SkullV

Hey guys, jumping in here. I am running the manufacturers suggested amount of 3ml per gallon and I still have undesirable nitrate & phosphate levels in my tank and its been almost a year. How do you all feel about going over the manufacturers suggested amount? Would I be asking for trouble? Thanks
Never go over. What reactor are you using? What skimmer? What size system? Maybe start a new thread, not sure if Craig minds though.

ultimatemj

Agreed, new thread for Irsug1's specifics...

That said, the take away from the article for me was "Need even more skimming ability than you would without BP"...or at least, you better have "an effective skimmer".

Cet98> I don't see any cyano in your tank; what skimmer are you using? Was it "big" to begin with?

Last edited:

Tank2379

that's a good point Eric and another reason perhaps to run BPs at a lower than suggested dosage....my SPS colonies look great imo and show no signs of slowing down with regards to growth. the colors have remained the same as well. perhaps a happy medium with BPs is finding the right amount to maintain low enough nutrients to retard the growth of HA but enough to maintain a healthy ecosystem....

again, just my take... :p
They have awesome color because you're running those awesome T-5 on your tank :playful:

cet98

I would not suggest running more than the recommended dosage...I see you have started a new thread so I will comment more there... :)

Cet98> I don't see any cyano in your tank; what skimmer are you using? Was it "big" to begin with?
I run a SWC 120 Cone skimmer rated for up to 90gal so I would consider it sized just right for my system :)
as I mentioned in my first post, I now run it wet which was suggested by Julian Sprung... :)