My roots

Ok. This is where I started in the water-box hobby about 3, almost 4 years ago now. Got some junk off of CL, yada-yada. Had 7 tanks at more than one point. Now I am down to 3.

10gallon - Proven L144 Pleco pair and fry.

20 high - Community planted.

20 long - Cherry shrimp/community

Emergent plant grow-out boxes

If you would like to know more, feel free to ask me. :)

Herbie

Banned
Wow. I really I knew more about success with plants. I had guppies for many years but can never keep plants for more than a year.

Since you know plant growth: what sort of bulb should be growing my fuge. I think the "full spectrum" cfl I have sucks. (Home Depot)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Smitty

Premium member
Those are some beautiful tanks...when I kept fw tanks, I couldn't keep plants alive long neither. Good job.

DanSreef

Premium member
Nice looking FW tanks. I think keeping the live plants was the biggest challenge I had when I had them. Either they would waste away... or the fish would dig them up and ruin them. In many ways there is nothing better than a really nice planted tank! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Great looking tanks!! On the planted did you have to run some type of equipment? I miss FW now
Thanks man. The only equipment I have is I usually run 2 filters that are just big enough for the tank, and I run a DIY yeast CO2 reactor on one of the tanks. Other then that, it is all in what kind of maintenance you want to do on a daily and weekly basis. When I am on top of my game, I replenish the CO2 2x a week, add fertilizers to the water column every other day, and do a 50% water change once a week. Other then that, not much. You definitely don't need as much equipment for a planted tank as you do a reef tank.

Wow. I really I knew more about success with plants. I had guppies for many years but can never keep plants for more than a year.

Since you know plant growth: what sort of bulb should be growing my fuge. I think the "full spectrum" cfl I have sucks. (Home Depot)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
For that, I have had the best success with the 6,500K bulbs from HD. Something like this in something like this. Those reflectors are great and cheap too. I use 2 of them on my 20high with 15watt bulbs and it grows plants like a beast.

Those are some beautiful tanks...when I kept fw tanks, I couldn't keep plants alive long neither. Good job.
Thank you. :)

i like the 20 high, classy stuff
Thank you. :)

Nice looking FW tanks. I think keeping the live plants was the biggest challenge I had when I had them. Either they would waste away... or the fish would dig them up and ruin them. In many ways there is nothing better than a really nice planted tank! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you sir. :)

Tethered_Limbs

yea i gotta 20h in my basement that id like to not spend a lot of cash on to make nice. if it comes out half as nice as yours......

You should make a new thread on how to " DIY Yeast CO2 "

I want to try a 5gal or 10gal..
I could do that. Look for it later today. It is really easy.

yea i gotta 20h in my basement that id like to not spend a lot of cash on to make nice. if it comes out half as nice as yours......
Just takes some maintenance. You can do it pretty cheap now. Plants don't cost nearly as much as coral does.

tinman

your tanks want me to keep my fw and have it as fw :)

your driftwood looks awesome ..where did you get it from ? ?