Necessary to dose essential elements?

Dkipp7

If using a good salt like reef crystals or Red Sea Pro is it necessary to dose elements? I have a sps dominant 40breeder and do 5-10gal water change every week. Also what would be the better salt to use reef crystals or red sea?

mlott132

If using a good salt like reef crystals or Red Sea Pro is it necessary to dose elements? I have a sps dominant 40breeder and do 5-10gal water change every week. Also what would be the better salt to use reef crystals or red sea?
I would go with Red Sea.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

DanSreef

Premium member
Do you test for Calcium, Alkalinity....etc....? If you find your tank depletes these...then you will want to dose. Weekly wc will help....but may still need dosing to keep up. It will all depend on what corals you have and how much they consume. I have used Red Sea Coral Pro and had good luck with it.

Dkipp7

I dose 2 part every day. All my levels stay constant.
Calc-490
Alk 9-10
Mag-1360

I am only wondering if i need to dose essential elements, or if whats in the salt is enough with doing small weekly water changes.

Top Water

What works for one tank may not work for another . I Have tried it all and found it better to keep to the basic simple for many personal reasons based on my experience. The less you mess the less to go wrong. Reef crystal and a regular routine will pay off over a period of years , this doesn't mean you won't have issues time to time don't know anyone that never lost a fish or coral

labas39

I use both kalkwasser and a calcium reactor; I add nothing else to the tank. I test magnesium and potassium and they're always good. I don't test for any other trace elements.

I would assume that iodine would be the next trace element and I recall reading an article from Randy Holmes-Farley stating that there's no proof dosing iodine for SPS helps anything.

Dkipp7

Great, thanks for the info guys!

Heres a pic of my tank as of today. Not the best pic

Last edited:

Dkipp7

I use both kalkwasser and a calcium reactor; I add nothing else to the tank. I test magnesium and potassium and they're always good. I don't test for any other trace elements.

I would assume that iodine would be the next trace element and I recall reading an article from Randy Holmes-Farley stating that there's no proof dosing iodine for SPS helps anything.
Td, do you use any type of coral food for your sps? Also, would you say to use reef crystals or red sea pro salt? Im only asking because I've seen your stuff and its amazing!

maazreef

Great, thanks for the info guys!

Heres a pic of my tank as of today. Not the best pic

Just depends on how much your corals are consumimg. Your levels will tell you everything. I have to dose mag and calcium 2 times a day to keep levels accurate. Just like they said earlier, "what works for one tank may not work for others". I tried getting away with only a water change but that was not enough.

Your tank looks great though. I love your grandes. That and a gig is next on my list of add ons. GL!

labas39

Thanks for the compliment!

I've used Reef Crystals for years and like it. I recently bought Kent's because I read it's higher in potassium and it was on sale. I haven't finished my Reef Crystals yet so I haven't started the Kent. I never used Red Sea.

I tried AcroPower and Fuel and stopped because I never saw a difference.

I'm with John, the simpler the better. I have an ATS, skimmer but don't run bio pellets or dose carbon.

Bommie

Im on my second bottle of instant ocean reef accelerator ....restores calcium and trace elements, I have notice a difference in all coral (more color on sps and zoas open more). I figured I'd give it a try since it was on sale...I like it.....I would suggest try dosing trace elements and see what happens...cheers!

Dkipp7

Thanks for the compliment!

I've used Reef Crystals for years and like it. I recently bought Kent's because I read it's higher in potassium and it was on sale. I haven't finished my Reef Crystals yet so I haven't started the Kent. I never used Red Sea.

I tried AcroPower and Fuel and stopped because I never saw a difference.

I'm with John, the simpler the better. I have an ATS, skimmer but don't run bio pellets or dose carbon.
Ya i try to keep it as simple/natural as possible. I run auto top off,skimmer,fuge w/ mangroves and chaeto. I dont run any carbon or pellets either.

so i wont dose any elements and just do my two part.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
The more you incorporate into your tank regimen, the more points of possible failure there are. As long as you are doing regular weekly wc's then I would not dose anything other than the basic's (Ca/Alk/Mg). There always seems to be some new miracle trace product that comes out and a whole bunch of folks buy it and after 3 days they say how much more pe or color they have...then everyone else buys it. And then after a month everyone says that they didn't see any noticeable or had only minimal results. IMO, don't waste your $ and why add something that could potentially harm/crash your tank... After being one of the sheeple and trying all the latest snakeoils I now follow the tried and true mantra....K.I.S.S.
If someone, someday, truly creates something of value it will ripple through the hobby and you'll hear about it. Until then....