Need a Return Pump (mine broke)

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Came home from work tonight to find my return pump not working. This is the second Jaebo DC12000 to die in about 1.5 years, so I'm ready to go with a more reputable pump. Right now, my tank is running with my pump that I use for water changes with a hose going over the top. My biopellets aren't going, GFO isn't going,etc.

So....I need to buy this thing and have it running by Friday. Who sells these bigger pumps locally? I'm thinking Ecotech M1, Reef Octopus DC, or Waveline DC. Thoughts?

superfish

i heard a lot of jebao DC pumps break quickly. however their Jebao DCT line seems doing better. i have 4 of the DCT 15000, they all been pretty good.
plus DCT is lot cheaper

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I ended up doing the Ecotech M1 with overnight ship. The tax savings make up for the extra shipping cost, plus, I don't have to drive to the burbs.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
You'll like the M1; however, depending on how many splits you have on the return line, you may find you need to go to the L1 for more flow. Either way, I love mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spartanman22

I have the M1 on my setup and love. The thing is dead silent you can't even tell it's running. I have mine feeding a reactor and UV, but the UV is pinched WAYY off. So really more just like a one reactor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I run a biopellets reactor and a GFO reactor off of my return. I don't really like a lot of flow going through my sump, so I think the M1 will be fine. I was running my Jaebo DC12000 at half power anyway.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I run a biopellets reactor and a GFO reactor off of my return. I don't really like a lot of flow going through my sump, so I think the M1 will be fine. I was running my Jaebo DC12000 at half power anyway.
Then you'll love it.

+1 to it being incredibly quiet also

beetlenut33

Premium member
M1 is a nice upgrade. I have a DCT pump and have my fingers crossed it doesn't breakdown on me.

Unrelated question, what do you use to attach the front panel to your stand? I need to engineer a front panel for my stand and I am trying to find hardware for it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm not too stoked about the upgrade because, after all, it's just a return pump. It just gets water from the sump to the tank. Plus, the Jaebo was dead silent too.

Regarding the panels, the doors have a small piece of angle aluminum that the rest on. Then they are held in place by countersunk magnets in the door and stand.

rockhead

I'm not too stoked about the upgrade because, after all, it's just a return pump. It just gets water from the sump to the tank. Plus, the Jaebo was dead silent too.

Regarding the panels, the doors have a small piece of angle aluminum that the rest on. Then they are held in place by countersunk magnets in the door and stand.
Just buy 3 dct 12000 for the price of the m1 and you'll be good for years

rockhead

I've been running the 9000 blue model for almost 2 years at 3/4 speed and supplying my cal reactor and media reactor and very happy with it

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I've been running the 9000 blue model for almost 2 years at 3/4 speed and supplying my cal reactor and media reactor and very happy with it
I was happy with the 12000 until one stopped working after about a year and the next stopped about six months later. I just can't trust them and as boring as return pumps are, they need to be reliable. I'd loose a lot more in coral $ than the cost of a new pump if it were to die when I'm out of town.

Hopefully the pricey M1 will be reliable.

madjoe

Premium member
I was happy with the 12000 until one stopped working after about a year and the next stopped about six months later. I just can't trust them and as boring as return pumps are, they need to be reliable. I'd loose a lot more in coral $ than the cost of a new pump if it were to die when I'm out of town.

Hopefully the pricey M1 will be reliable.
Man that sucks im running 1200 now and had bad luck with the powerheads as of late i hope mine stays good let us know how the nee pump is

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Man that sucks im running 1200 now and had bad luck with the powerheads as of late i hope mine stays good let us know how the nee pump is
Yeah, I still run 2 Jaebo powerheads but I've had three stop working in the past. Powerheads aren't as concerning to me because when they stop working, your tank doesn't crash. I've gotten pretty good life out of the powerheads for the most part.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Depending on how much electricity your old pump used to draw, you may have a slightly nicer monthly bill. I know I did!