Need help - Swapping our stand on established tank

faisal629

Hey guys, I posted this question in my build thread but don't think anyone's looking is there lol

My 60G cube has been set up for almost 3 years now, fast forward a week ago I noticed the inside of the stand "rotting" which terrified me. It's worse then it looks:

I knew immediately I needed a new stand. I ordered some t slot and made my stand and now I'm trying to see what's the best way of doing this stand swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faisal629

I want to also use this opportunity to clean out my sump, skimner, reactors.

Thinking of borrowing a small tank or use a brute to drain my display out and hold my rock, fish, corals for 2ish days with a heater and power head...anyone try this?

In these 2 days I want to give the sump, skimmer, reactors a vinegar bath, scrape the DT clean.

I plan on redoing my plumbing.

I will have a 44 gallon brute I can use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faisal629

Plan is to remove all the live rock, coral & fish into a 20 gallon tank or brute using some tank water mixed with fresh saltwater. The will be in the temp tank for about a day max.
After which I want to use the remaining water left in the tank to vacuum the sand (1-2"), I want to leave 1" of water above the sand still in the tank to keep the bacteria alive.

After which I will:
-Un-do all plumbing & electrical
-Remove sump (& clean)
-move DT off stand, replace old stand with new
-Put DT on new stand & add water and livestock back (keeping water line under overflow line)
-Add electrical stuff (lights, pumps, heaters)
-add Sump
-do all plumbing (flush new plumbing before hooking return back to DT)
- Connect return

would you do anything differently?

dvanlier05

I would not worry about the old sand and just go new. 3+ years, who knows what could be in it. With a temp tank you should be fine. Just try to keep temp and salinity consistent. Good luck

faisal629

I pondered on that for some time, to keep old sand or not too, after much digging around I found while its the option most people go with I want to keep my old sand, its 3 years old, has lots of worms, critters & beneficial bacteria .
heard some reefers moving multiple times while maintaining the same sand...ill deff clean it like no tomorrow and remove all the dirty water and possible even toss another 5-10 gallon of fresh saltwater to re-rinse.

Ill keep you guys posted on how it works out for me.