Negligent care in Fish Store

jrpark22000

Premium member
I completely agree with all of the above topics except for the OP topic. I've never been to Xotic and can't speak into their care, they're just too far from NWI to make the trip to date.

That said, who among you doesn't bargin shop? Anyone who does, how does an LFS reduce cost to get your bargins? Reduce their loss and cost by reducing QT. I'm not throwing stones while living in a glass house. Know if your LFS is doing a full 8 + week QT and if not, you must do it yourself.

Onto the OP topic [MENTION=2073]beetlenut33[/MENTION], I am researching it.

madjoe

Premium member
Its the store that dont give up lol. Went from global to exzotics and this is third location . Pretty sure no jail time for dead fish but if nobody buys from them eventually its gotta go under . I went over month ago and wasnt impressed with any part of it

I completely agree with all of the above topics except for the OP topic. I've never been to Xotic and can't speak into their care, they're just too far from NWI to make the trip to date.

That said, who among you doesn't bargin shop? Anyone who does, how does an LFS reduce cost to get your bargins? Reduce their loss and cost by reducing QT. I'm not throwing stones while living in a glass house. Know if your LFS is doing a full 8 + week QT and if not, you must do it yourself.

Onto the OP topic [MENTION=2073]beetlenut33[/MENTION], I am researching it.
I think Xzotics was unfairly picked on. Most of our LFS in the area are selling diseased fish. You just don't know it because copper masks problems. Although execution is lacking, I actually feel like they do more for their animals than other stores. But my money will continue to go to LiveAquaria and Petsolutions who source their fish from reputable distributors. According to Kevin Kohen, "knowing who collected, transported, and held the fish prior to export is the key to quality specimens."

#theMatrix

They were saying the quality of liveaquaria would go downhill if petco got liveaquaria. Seems it ended up the other way and liveaquaria may be shipping better quality to stores.

But as i see Some petcos are shutting down saltwater systems in their stores. And others are getting better. But they still charge wayyy more then a reef specialties store

madjoe

Premium member
I think Xzotics was unfairly picked on. Most of our LFS in the area are selling diseased fish. You just don't know it because copper masks problems. Although execution is lacking, I actually feel like they do more for their animals than other stores. But my money will continue to go to LiveAquaria and Petsolutions who source their fish from reputable distributors. According to Kevin Kohen, "knowing who collected, transported, and held the fish prior to export is the key to quality specimens."
Now thats funny

Hello, I understand everyone's frustration and we would like to apologize for everyone's negative experiences at the shop. We do care about this hobby and want to grow this hobby because of how much we believe in it. I am also not here to make excuses or point fingers, we accept all of your responses with gratitude. Feel free to contact us through here, Facebook, telephone, etc., we don't like to hide from negative responses because it is counter active. Once again, thank you all for responses and caring/being apart of this hobby. Hopefully your negative experiences will be over shadowed with new positive experiences in the near future.

Thank you for your time.

fit

For what it's worth. I have only good experiences at xzotic. I have not noticed any disease imported.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Kamreefer

Aquatica and Reefwise are top notch luckily i live close enough to both. Their tanks are pristine never seen a dead fish in the tanks of both and fish are always healthy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unk

Got alot of stuff from reefwise. They are amazing. I got a pair of golden dwarf eels from them.

Spartanman22

I do almost all fish shopping from Reefwise and Aquapros. IMO Reefwise has the best quality fish in the area, AP generally has the best prices. I can guarantee you every LFS within the area has some sort of pest in their setup's, and as a hobbyist I accept this fully. Imagine how hard it would be to run their business while maintaining a thorough and comprehensive QT protocol. They would need multiple stages of QT systems to account for continual inventory changes, and they would have to sit on their fish much longer. I think it'd be awesome if you could have fully quarantined fish coming out of an LFS like RW or AP, but then that $75 Wrasse just became $150 because of all the added costs. I know RW runs a large UV sterilizer on their system. They deal in highly expensive and rare fish. An LFS that doesn't keep healthy systems doesn't get into that game, and if they do they end up losing a lot of money quickly. I'll trust stores like RW, but I'll also always QT my own fish, as IMO every hobbyist should. Also, at this point I think RW is starting to rival LA in terms of rarity in fish. So, I'm sure they are overlapping on some of the suppliers.

I've also ordered from LA before and had fish come in with diseases as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

opie77

Ive had good luck with Aquatica. I have a pair of clowns that I got from them over 6 years ago. Same with Aquapros. Nice fish, just a long drive.

Used to get good fish from Reef City when Mark owned it.

gonebad395

Never been to xcoticaquatics but will say kudos to them coming on here and acknowledging the bad and letting us know they are going to do something about it. Believe me there are others that have nothing but excuses and hide from any bad and that why a few aren't around any more. Now for the parasitic fish you are going to have that any where and I mean anywhere what you do with it is your choice as in ,don't buy the fish,buy the fish and qt it yourself or buy it and dump in the tank yourself. Everyone on this forum is cheap if ya don't believe me look at the great deals in our exchange and I mean great deals and they will sit untill the seller drops a crap load of money off of it or he gets lowballed to death that equals cheap. We all look for deals as stated above and we all want great prices from local fish stores and not qting them is one of the ways a store can give us a good deal. Don't like it it's a free market don't spend your money there.

As for the reefwise and the aquatica statements I agree in the area these guys have the best I've seen for a long time but don't think they don't have there problems also because I've seen it there too. As I said it's your responsibility to qt or not qt your fish just as it's your responsibility to dip your coral or face having pest there are limited places in the area that deal in our hobby and most are top notch.

Last edited:

lakereef

Most stores do not QT their fish. And they do not use reputable distributors with good QT procedures. If you don't see any Ich, it's because they use non therapeutic dose of copper. Trust me when I say most fish stores around here are selling diseased fish whether symptoms are visible or not. You are far better off getting your fish from LiveAquaria or Petsolutions who use reputable distributors.
I also had issues getting diseased fish and clams from liveaquaria. Even after contacting them about it they had very little to say besides sorry for your inconvenience. I only had the clam in quarantine for 3 weeks, which wasn't long enough as it ended up killing all 12 of my clams in my display. Talk about a painful lesson. It is frustrating and sad to think there's little we as customers can do. Are we just to avoid buying from any store where we've received a pest? I would have no places to go as they all seem to have some issues. Is it really the stores fault when they are just one stop in the supply chain? Can we blame wholesalers?

Why aren't we told where the fish came from or even what supplier it was from? The more information we're given the better decision we can make on whether we want to spend our hard earned money on a new critter. Who wouldn't want to buy a fish or other critter that has a proven record it was raised or caught in a sustainable manner and treated/handled appropriately for disease prevention. I know I would gladly pay double as I usually end up paying that anyway when the first fish dies of disease. That's even assuming evenone is using QT which I know many do not.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Why aren't we told where the fish came from or even what supplier it was from? The more information we're given the better decision we can make on whether we want to spend our hard earned money on a new critter. Who wouldn't want to buy a fish or other critter that has a proven record it was raised or caught in a sustainable manner and treated/handled appropriately for disease prevention. I know I would gladly pay double as I usually end up paying that anyway when the first fish dies of disease. That's even assuming evenone is using QT which I know many do not.
Reefwise usually tells you which region the fish is from. Maybe if you press them more, they will tell you the supplier.

My biggest issue with our LFS in the area is that they use copper dosed water. This practice is toxic to fish and this does nothing but pass the risk to the consumer. Yes, I agree that we should practice QT. But is it really our responsibility to treat every damn fish that we buy? And receive fish with compromised organs due to this practice? It's unethical and questionable business practice. I will not support them anymore.

gonebad395

My biggest issue with our LFS in the area is that they use copper dosed water. This practice is toxic to fish and this does nothing but pass the risk to the consumer. Yes, I agree that we should practice QT. But is it really our responsibility to treat every damn fish that we buy? And receive fish with compromised organs due to this practice? It's unethical and questionable business practice. I will not support them anymore.
Yes it's your responsibility I qt and dip everything that is coming to my tank. It's your tank that can go bad not the lfs and to even ask is it your responsibility is concerning I've always worked hard to have a great tank and take nones word that is pest or problem free. I value my time with everything I mean everything and all the time I have in my tank at one point tanks it's not worth risking. But that's just me and how I am not judging you just putting my 2cents on how I see it

Yes it's your responsibility I qt and dip everything that is coming to my tank. It's your tank that can go bad not the lfs and to even ask is it your responsibility is concerning I've always worked hard to have a great tank and take nones word that is pest or problem free. I value my time with everything I mean everything and all the time I have in my tank at one point tanks it's not worth risking. But that's just me and how I am not judging you just putting my 2cents on how I see it
You are completely missing my point. Keeping fish in non therapeutic level of copper dosed water is toxic to fish and masks diseases. It prevents disease breakout but it is awfully tough on their organs. It causes long term illness. It is designed to pass the risk to the consumer. It is unethical and poor business practice. It is not my responsibility to deal with illnesses caused by our LFS. And there is no reason to.