Negligent care in Fish Store

ninjamyst

Premium member
Yes it's your responsibility I qt and dip everything that is coming to my tank. It's your tank that can go bad not the lfs and to even ask is it your responsibility is concerning I've always worked hard to have a great tank and take nones word that is pest or problem free. I value my time with everything I mean everything and all the time I have in my tank at one point tanks it's not worth risking. But that's just me and how I am not judging you just putting my 2cents on how I see it
That's great that you QT and dip everything. But most of us don't. I don't see what harm can come out of a LFS that provides healthier fish and has a better QT process. Even if it's not 100% guaranteed, it's better than reckless negligence.

SteveV

One of my first mistakes was buyng a tang from Petco. Didn't QT long enough and within 2 days my 120 G had ich. Did a complete Hypo.. What a major pain. Petco was negative and wasn't at all supportive. Learning experiance! I agree with most of what all of you are saying, QT everything.. I am not a copper guy... I do hypo if I see anything.. Not sure how effective that is???

One of my first mistakes was buyng a tang from Petco. Didn't QT long enough and within 2 days my 120 G had ich. Did a complete Hypo.. What a major pain. Petco was negative and wasn't at all supportive. Learning experiance! I agree with most of what all of you are saying, QT everything.. I am not a copper guy... I do hypo if I see anything.. Not sure how effective that is???
I actually prefer Petco over any other LFS in the area. They do not keep their fish in copper water except if they are being treated. And their suppliers do not either (Quality Marine or Apet). This does not mean what they sell is disease free by any means. And their tanks are not well maintained to say the least. Also, Hypo is only effective against Ich. And are you confident that you can tell Ich from other diseases? I personally cannot.

SteveV

I am still relatively new so NO I am not 100% sure on the ich. Just got back into the hobby after 25years. Had the typical white spots on 2 tangs bodies. Those are gone but I still see a few spots on the gills of two fish. Been feeding garlic soaked food and turned on UV. While I am not convinced it will go away I am praying I don't have to do a complete breakdown.. BUMMER! Coral, tons of LR. Plus I hate to put 3 tangs + other fish in a 55g for 8-10 weeks even thou they are small. 1 1/2-2" each.

I am still relatively new so NO I am not 100% sure on the ich. Just got back into the hobby after 25years. Had the typical white spots on 2 tangs bodies. Those are gone but I still see a few spots on the gills of two fish. Been feeding garlic soaked food and turned on UV. While I am not convinced it will go away I am praying I don't have to do a complete breakdown.. BUMMER! Coral, tons of LR. Plus I hate to put 3 tangs + other fish in a 55g for 8-10 weeks even thou they are small. 1 1/2-2" each.
If you don't add ANYTHING, it will get flushed out in about a year. Either your fish will develop immunity or die. And there is some research which says that a given Ich strain becomes infeasible after 11 months or so. If you are dealing with Ich and nothing else, I would leave them in. A lot of fish in a small, uncycled tank with copper is a recipe for disaster. I realize this goes against common wisdom, but it's not easy to run a proper hospital tank for 8-10 weeks. Don't stress them out trying to catch them and then put them in a harsh environment. You will end up killing them that way. And you will be doing A LOT of work. If you haven't lost any fish and you have situation under control, leave them in. And wait one year before you add anything. I am not just talking about fish, I really mean everything. Not even a snail. That's key.

SteveV

Thanks Kevin.. Even if I QT a newbie need to wait 11 thats not going to happen. I will leave them alone.. Do you have any experiance with teh "natural" medications that help the fish slim coat?

Thanks Kevin.. Even if I QT a newbie need to wait 11 thats not going to happen. I will leave them alone.. Do you have any experiance with teh "natural" medications that help the fish slim coat?
There is no medicine that is worth a damn that you can use in your display tank.

I had a incident with Ich before, when I added a new clownfish it must have of been a carrier because it ended up killing off another clownfish. I noticed the yellow tang had it and It recovered on its own. Make sure you feed your fish well and clean water changes help. I did not want to poison the water in my system with something I did not trust 100% If your fish are very healthy they can fight off the disease naturally. I agree with the natural recovery method and try not to stress out your fish. I have a big system so it is hard to catch the fish without destroying everything I built so it depends on the situation. If you can separate the fish that got your tank sick that would be good but I learned the carrier can also recover too if you nurse them back to health. I hope this will help new reefers from making a big mistake.

gonebad395

That's great that you QT and dip everything. But most of us don't. I don't see what harm can come out of a LFS that provides healthier fish and has a better QT process. Even if it's not 100% guaranteed, it's better than reckless negligence.
So another place should do your work for you? Or should said store go to the ocean and catch there own fish? A lot of us think you not qting and dipping your coral is reckless negligencence to the othe fish and coral in your tank. Maybe stop acting like your tank insnt your responsibility and a stores to blame. The sense of entitlement is sickening no one owes us anything you are the last line of defense to your tank if it's your choice to be lazy and not qt ya get what ya get

Happy reefing

And remember the best part of this is we can agree to disagree��

Last edited:

ninjamyst

Premium member
So another place should do your work for you? Or should said store go to the ocean and catch there own fish? A lot of us think you not qting and dipping your coral is reckless negligencence to the othe fish and coral in your tank. Maybe stop acting like your tank insnt your responsibility and a stores to blame. The sense of entitlement is sickening no one owes us anything you are the last line of defense to your tank if it's your choice to be lazy and not qt ya get what ya get

Happy reefing

You are quick to judge that people who don't QT are not responsible and are not doing enough for their tank. Just because you QT does not make you a better reefer than the rest of us and puts you in an ivory tower.

Edit: And please don't claim "I am not judging you" an "we can agree to disagree" when your posts are so condescending and judgemental.

Last edited:

gonebad395

Hey you handle your fish they way you think they deserve to be handled and I'll keep doing it my way. And my ivory tower is more light grey��. Remember this is a public forum and a lot of us will have different views. I'll tell ya I learned along time ago leave your feelings at the log in screen. Sorry I ruffled your fins.:mario:

But I will tell you there is a ignore link it's the third one down on my profile page under my picture feel free to hit that link anytime. No wammy no wammy no wammy STOP!

Last edited:

SteveV

I agree with Ninjamyst. I like many thought the quality of fish would be better and it would not be nessasary to QT. We have learned the hard way. I am slowly building my tank, cash is tight so when mistakes end up being costly it hurts even more. There is so much conflicting information on the sites it makes the hobby even tougher.. Does anyone with a half a brain think many of us get into this hobby to harm fish? Really? With that said, I am still enjoying the hobby and look forward to creating more relationships with many of you. The sarcastic and BS remarks are not needed!

madjoe

Premium member

Happy reefing

Oh daym u gonna hate me ive added four fish in last week not one was qted and not one was acclimated. Lol funny thing is i have two qt tanks running but one is housing all my brothers fish and coral and the other one is holding another guys fish . Smh cant even use my own qt lol

gonebad395

I agree with Ninjamyst. I like many thought the quality of fish would be better and it would not be nessasary to QT. We have learned the hard way. I am slowly building my tank, cash is tight so when mistakes end up being costly it hurts even more. There is so much conflicting information on the sites it makes the hobby even tougher.. Does anyone with a half a brain think many of us get into this hobby to harm fish? Really? With that said, I am still enjoying the hobby and look forward to creating more relationships with many of you. The sarcastic and BS remarks are not needed!
10 gallon tank small heater hob filter would help you out greatly lets say 40 bucks. Sick fish 40 bucks kills all your fish 200 bucks. Just do your self a favor and spring for it. Hell come to nwi and I'll give you the stuff.

gonebad395

Oh daym u gonna hate me ive added four fish in last week not one was qted and not one was acclimated. Lol funny thing is i have two qt tanks running but one is housing all my brothers fish and coral and the other one is holding another guys fish . Smh cant even use my own qt lol
Lmao joe

beetlenut33

Premium member
I visited Exzotic Aquatics last night to purchase some PE mysis shrimp. They were completely out of stock of PE mysis shrimp. I believe I did see a microwaveable meal in the freezer though if anyone is interested.

Overall, the fish seemed to look better, but I still saw sick/dead fish in their display tanks. One tank had two dead fish lodged in a rock. A second tank had a powder brown tang which had significant damage to its gills and could barely swim. I saw other fish in other tanks with ich.

Waked out dissatisfied once again and without any frozen PE mysis shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonebad395

So don't go back find a new store if you constantly let down and disappointed with them seem to be the only logical avenue left

10 gallon tank small heater hob filter would help you out greatly lets say 40 bucks. Sick fish 40 bucks kills all your fish 200 bucks. Just do your self a favor and spring for it. Hell come to nwi and I'll give you the stuff.
A mandarin in a 10 gallon tank with hob filter is a death sentence. Ditto for most wrasses. A Copperband would have no chance. Maybe tangs can endure it for few weeks, maybe. Add copper in that environment, it becomes difficult for most fish. Not to mention ammonia and nitrite which would be present at detectable levels. There is nothing humane about this. All you are doing is protecting your investment at the expense of new additions. And unnecessarily killing many of them before they can make it in to the display tank. Don't be so quick to judge. If fish can talk, they will most likely disagree with you.

gonebad395

A mandarin in a 10 gallon tank with hob filter is a death sentence. Ditto for most wrasses. A Copperband would have no chance. Maybe tangs can endure it for few weeks, maybe. Add copper in that environment, it becomes difficult for most fish. Not to mention ammonia and nitrite which would be present at detectable levels. There is nothing humane about this. All you are doing is protecting your investment at the expense of new additions. And unnecessarily killing many of them before they can make it in to the display tank. Don't be so quick to judge. If fish can talk, they will most likely disagree with you.
Lmao I offered you a tank to help you start and learn the process of QT not one time did I post that I used a 10 gallon tank in my qt. I use a 20 long and also a 40 breeder. Don't be so fast to act like you know my set up and please read what I post not read into it. I offered you a qt set up because I read you are still building your tank. But hey man you know what's going on so we will leave it at that chow.

madjoe

Premium member
Lmao I offered you a tank to help you start and learn the process of QT not one time did I post that I used a 10 gallon tank in my qt. I use a 20 long and also a 40 breeder. Don't be so fast to act like you know my set up and please read what I post not read into it. I offered you a qt set up because I read you are still building your tank. But hey man you know what's going on so we will leave it at that chow.
Chit i had 8 fish in a 10 gal qt with copper and all alive still in new homes . Man i might make new friends with that statement. Lol and i wont shop for salt water at petco either oh with only a air stone smh