Nuisance Algae ID Help

#theMatrix

I got that couple months ago. Its not cyano nor diatoms. But has similar traits to both. All it really is its a bloom of some sort and eventually it died out. Wether it starved itseld or the other algae out competed it.

And actually, im getting it now. What i think caused it both times.

Was rust dripping into my sump. So both rails that were drawers have been removed in my cabinet.
Btw jon it gets worse...it covers the glass and looks like dust bunnies? On the glass and on the rocks builds bubbles and hair like strands

madjoe

Premium member
Good luck im fighting something similar but mines never on glass . I did a 4 day black out and it stayed away with no light but 1 hr after i turned lights back in i saw signs of it not as bad but enough to piss me off so right away i dosed chemi clean im hoping now that its not as bad the chemiclean will work . I did a double dose of chemiclean before my black out and it didnt even put a dent in it . So like i said im hoping the black out weakend it and the chemiclean has a chance this time

RicoReef

I had the same thing happen 2 weeks i removed most of it with a brush added some purigen and more cleaners to the crew they took care of the rest and bam!!! all gone

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

anarchy

I'm dealing with this now. Mines only on the glass and overflows, but bad cyano on the rocks. Cyano is now at a stand still. Doesn't grow more but doesn't go away

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help! I guess I will continue to vacuum the sand, get a cleanup crew, and watch the food going in.

I scraped a lot of coralline algae of the front and sides of my tank. I think that released a lot of nutrients into the tank that caused this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Paulip

If it doesn't look like a plant. It might as well be cyano. Cyanobacteria is a whole phylum.

I recently tried chemiclean for some weird growth. It worked well. Somewhat glad I did it while the growth was moderate. Dying cyano releases toxins.

rockhead

Are you still running t5s if so may want to think of replacing the bulbs , I had the same thing changed my bulbs and tried vibrant from UWC and it's almost all gone, just my 2cents

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Hello Everyone,

We had been asked to come on this forum and answer a few questions about Vibrant for a few users here in different threads. We thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion thread about Vibrant, how it was created, what is it, how it works, etc. Then there will be a place for people to ask questions, where they will be kept together so people can come back and read then.

I think most, or a lot of people have heard of or have seen Vibrant by now, but have no idea what it is. What is a "liquid Aquarium Cleaner"? What does, "Brightens and Cleans Aquariums in as little as 12 hours mean"? A lot of people instantly think, that's snake oil. No product can do that! As time has gone on and people have seen users actually getting amazing results with Vibrant, those words have slowly faded away. There are always going to be the doubters, but that is ok. Everyone has there way of doing things and we are more then ok with that. Vibrant is not a product that replaces good aquarium husbandry and upkeep, it is a product that works very well along with a well taken aquarium.

So where did Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner originate from?

Vibrant has been available to the public for almost a year now and had been in the works two years prior to that. We teamed up with a group of scientists to actually create something that will rid algae from aquariums. We tried hundreds of different things and different combinations of things before we found something that actually worked liked we wanted it to without harming anything that we keep in our aquariums. This product was solely used by us to make sure our clients aquariums always looked perfect. We build, install and maintain aquariums all over our home state including many aquariums that are in public spaces and are always in the public eye. After the creation of Vibrant, we would go on a service visit, service the aquarium, come back two weeks later and the tank looked just like we had been there the day before. People noticed this, and started asking us about how we keep our aquariums so clean?! Our answer was, we make our own liquid aquarium cleaner. The next question would always be, do you sell it? Which we replied, no, we do not. As more and more people started asking and the demand kept growing we thought, maybe the public would like this product too. So after some legwork, at the beginning of 2016, we started offering Vibrant to the public.

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar - This is used as the preservative
3.5% Other Ingredients (RO/DI Water)

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Dosing Instructions -

For a very well taken care of, clean aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once every 2 weeks.
For a dirtier aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once per week.
If you are battling Bryopsis or Turf algae, dose 1ml of Vibrant two times per week.

There is no need to discontinue the use of any mechanical or biological filtration while using Vibrant.
Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates.

Vibrant works differently in every aquarium. Some people see almost instant results and some people will have to do multiple treatments for it to kick in and take over. If the first dose knocks it out, great! If not, follow the dosing schedule and sooner than later you will have a clean Vibrant aquarium also :)

What algae strains does Vibrant rid and how fast does it work?

Vibrant is a true beast and we have not yet come across a algae that Vibrant can not beat out. Below I will list a general timeline of how fast Vibrant works on frequent algae strains that cause issues in reef aquariums.

Cloudy/hazy Water- 1 dose
Diatoms - 1-2 doses
Cyanobacteria - (Yes, it will outcompete another bacteria) 1-5 doses
Dinoflagellates - 2-5 doses
Bubble algae - 3-8 doses
Hair Algae - 3-5 doses (depending on species of hair and how bad the infestation is)
Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)

There are a lot of factors that come into play for how fast it rids a certain algae strain in one persons tank verses another. The cleaner and the better your aquarium is maintained, the faster you are going to see results. It will clean neglected tanks also, it just takes more time as the bacteria population has to grow to consume and outcompete the algae. Generally it is very fast acting and people see very positive results after their first dose, some as soon as a few hours later.

How Does Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner work?

This is the tricky part to explain. There are a few different strains of bacteria that play different roles in ridding the algae. One of the strains, works to convert No3 and Po4 into biomass, which then is easily removed via protein skimming and or water changes. Some of the biomass will also be consumed by live corals. This strain is also very good at going after organic settlement and reducing it significantly. Here is where it gets harder to explain, the function of one of the other bacteria is to actual go in and cling to the algae and consume them turning their waste then into biomass also which is then utilized by the corals or later removed by protein skimming or water changes. The beautiful thing is, this is not like using some crazy algaecide that just leaves a bomb of nutrients in your tank as the algae die leading you on a downward spiral of issue after issue. Once your algae issue is gone, you can stop dosing vibrant or you can simply use it as part of your routine maintenance to keep your tank looking nice and clean all the time.

Vibrant Disclaimer-

Vibrant can be very deceiving. It can make your aquarium look so clean that you will think you can skip your regular routine aquarium maintenance of water changes, filter cleanings, etc. We highly recommend that you do not skip these but that you use Vibrant in conjunction with your normal aquarium routine for a happy, Vibrant aquarium.

How do we use Vibrant?

We use Vibrant in all of our aquariums and all of our clients aquariums. We take very good care of our tanks so generally we follow the dosing schedule of 1ml per 10 gallons every two weeks. We generally start using Vibrant on new aquariums a couple weeks after setup as we find it does not actually mess with the cycling of the aquarium, but it sure does make it look better during it :)

I am sure I have missed a lot of things people would like to know so lets use this as a questions/discussions thread. Hopefully we can get some users to chime in as well with how it has worked for them and how they like it.

Thanks,
Jeff
Owner- Underwater Creations, Inc.
www.uwcmn.com

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/3258828/&share_tid=271428&share_fid=1020&share_type=t&share_pid=3258828

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Are you still running t5s if so may want to think of replacing the bulbs , I had the same thing changed my bulbs and tried vibrant from UWC and it's almost all gone, just my 2cents

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Hello Everyone,

We had been asked to come on this forum and answer a few questions about Vibrant for a few users here in different threads. We thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion thread about Vibrant, how it was created, what is it, how it works, etc. Then there will be a place for people to ask questions, where they will be kept together so people can come back and read then.

I think most, or a lot of people have heard of or have seen Vibrant by now, but have no idea what it is. What is a "liquid Aquarium Cleaner"? What does, "Brightens and Cleans Aquariums in as little as 12 hours mean"? A lot of people instantly think, that's snake oil. No product can do that! As time has gone on and people have seen users actually getting amazing results with Vibrant, those words have slowly faded away. There are always going to be the doubters, but that is ok. Everyone has there way of doing things and we are more then ok with that. Vibrant is not a product that replaces good aquarium husbandry and upkeep, it is a product that works very well along with a well taken aquarium.

So where did Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner originate from?

Vibrant has been available to the public for almost a year now and had been in the works two years prior to that. We teamed up with a group of scientists to actually create something that will rid algae from aquariums. We tried hundreds of different things and different combinations of things before we found something that actually worked liked we wanted it to without harming anything that we keep in our aquariums. This product was solely used by us to make sure our clients aquariums always looked perfect. We build, install and maintain aquariums all over our home state including many aquariums that are in public spaces and are always in the public eye. After the creation of Vibrant, we would go on a service visit, service the aquarium, come back two weeks later and the tank looked just like we had been there the day before. People noticed this, and started asking us about how we keep our aquariums so clean?! Our answer was, we make our own liquid aquarium cleaner. The next question would always be, do you sell it? Which we replied, no, we do not. As more and more people started asking and the demand kept growing we thought, maybe the public would like this product too. So after some legwork, at the beginning of 2016, we started offering Vibrant to the public.

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar - This is used as the preservative
3.5% Other Ingredients (RO/DI Water)

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Dosing Instructions -

For a very well taken care of, clean aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once every 2 weeks.
For a dirtier aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once per week.
If you are battling Bryopsis or Turf algae, dose 1ml of Vibrant two times per week.

There is no need to discontinue the use of any mechanical or biological filtration while using Vibrant.
Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates.

Vibrant works differently in every aquarium. Some people see almost instant results and some people will have to do multiple treatments for it to kick in and take over. If the first dose knocks it out, great! If not, follow the dosing schedule and sooner than later you will have a clean Vibrant aquarium also :)

What algae strains does Vibrant rid and how fast does it work?

Vibrant is a true beast and we have not yet come across a algae that Vibrant can not beat out. Below I will list a general timeline of how fast Vibrant works on frequent algae strains that cause issues in reef aquariums.

Cloudy/hazy Water- 1 dose
Diatoms - 1-2 doses
Cyanobacteria - (Yes, it will outcompete another bacteria) 1-5 doses
Dinoflagellates - 2-5 doses
Bubble algae - 3-8 doses
Hair Algae - 3-5 doses (depending on species of hair and how bad the infestation is)
Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)

There are a lot of factors that come into play for how fast it rids a certain algae strain in one persons tank verses another. The cleaner and the better your aquarium is maintained, the faster you are going to see results. It will clean neglected tanks also, it just takes more time as the bacteria population has to grow to consume and outcompete the algae. Generally it is very fast acting and people see very positive results after their first dose, some as soon as a few hours later.

How Does Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner work?

This is the tricky part to explain. There are a few different strains of bacteria that play different roles in ridding the algae. One of the strains, works to convert No3 and Po4 into biomass, which then is easily removed via protein skimming and or water changes. Some of the biomass will also be consumed by live corals. This strain is also very good at going after organic settlement and reducing it significantly. Here is where it gets harder to explain, the function of one of the other bacteria is to actual go in and cling to the algae and consume them turning their waste then into biomass also which is then utilized by the corals or later removed by protein skimming or water changes. The beautiful thing is, this is not like using some crazy algaecide that just leaves a bomb of nutrients in your tank as the algae die leading you on a downward spiral of issue after issue. Once your algae issue is gone, you can stop dosing vibrant or you can simply use it as part of your routine maintenance to keep your tank looking nice and clean all the time.

Vibrant Disclaimer-

Vibrant can be very deceiving. It can make your aquarium look so clean that you will think you can skip your regular routine aquarium maintenance of water changes, filter cleanings, etc. We highly recommend that you do not skip these but that you use Vibrant in conjunction with your normal aquarium routine for a happy, Vibrant aquarium.

How do we use Vibrant?

We use Vibrant in all of our aquariums and all of our clients aquariums. We take very good care of our tanks so generally we follow the dosing schedule of 1ml per 10 gallons every two weeks. We generally start using Vibrant on new aquariums a couple weeks after setup as we find it does not actually mess with the cycling of the aquarium, but it sure does make it look better during it :)

I am sure I have missed a lot of things people would like to know so lets use this as a questions/discussions thread. Hopefully we can get some users to chime in as well with how it has worked for them and how they like it.

Thanks,
Jeff
Owner- Underwater Creations, Inc.
www.uwcmn.com

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/3258828/&share_tid=271428&share_fid=1020&share_type=t&share_pid=3258828
Yeah, just replaced half of the bulbs recently. Added a purple + back in after a few months to see if the reds in my PC Rainbow would come out again but half the bulbs are new. I'll look into changing the others out too just to see. Can't hurt.

What's with other product you mentioned, Vibrant? Have you had any experience with it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#theMatrix

Ive been keeping tabs on it on r2r but wasnt sure it would be a necessity.

There was a product similar to it used for ponds. I was able to get it in powder form that would be diluted in RO and then driped to the reef. But even still i wasnt sure if i would try it.

When i had access to it. It was similar reviews as the ones on r2r. Also claimed it was safe on fish and it was the bacteria that cleaned the water and alage. Seems like vibrant may have ran with the same idea