OT - Anyone know Mitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerusso316

I have attended every backer show for the last 6 years.I was at the last show. It has a million dollar advertising budget. It was a goast town. People come to frag swaps for a deal. Big vinders don't give vary many deals. Small hobbiest (10$ frags)are the band that gets people in the door. Small tables are like the band at a bar..... They bring people through the door. You never charge the band. Run the band off ( just like boyd did). Your event will flop. I don't have 150$ to gamble, much less 475.Few vinders, no fragers, nobody cares about speakers. I think the CMAS members are going to end up paying for this vinue. I love Bob..... I just think he is falling into the same trap Boyd did. This is the trap.
The big vinders don't like too many hobbiest fragers. The big vinders buy most of there items. There profits are limited because of their expense. The hobbiest can lower there prices and still make 100% profit. Sooo the big vinders put pressure on the leadership to limit the small hobbiest. There by consentrating the cash at the swap. This is what Boyd was famous for.
Last year(spring) Bob said come one come all. We had the best frag swap in CMAS history, in the worst economy ever. I told him " this is why everyone is here, so many tables."
The desire to be bigger is not always the best idea. Big fish hatcheries fail monthly. Basment breeders keep pluging away. We keep cost down. And keep giving people what they want.
" Well Mitch the vinue is charging that much for a table". Way to take the bull by the horns there leadership. You work for the membership and if the members want a swap ..... You bloody well ought to have one.
I support our leadership. But my voice will be heard also. If the will of the people is not heard.... The people will find a leader that will do their will. I will be renewing my membership. I will be at the next meeting. I will vote. I belive my 60 contacts will vote also.
This change of events should have been posted for input from members befor its execution.
Just my 2 cents..... I will shut up now

SkullV

I have attended every backer show for the last 6 years.I was at the last show. It has a million dollar advertising budget. It was a goast town. People come to frag swaps for a deal. Big vinders don't give vary many deals. Small hobbiest (10$ frags)are the band that gets people in the door. Small tables are like the band at a bar..... They bring people through the door. You never charge the band. Run the band off ( just like boyd did). Your event will flop. I don't have 150$ to gamble, much less 475.Few vinders, no fragers, nobody cares about speakers. I think the CMAS members are going to end up paying for this vinue. I love Bob..... I just think he is falling into the same trap Boyd did. This is the trap.
The big vinders don't like too many hobbiest fragers. The big vinders buy most of there items. There profits are limited because of their expense. The hobbiest can lower there prices and still make 100% profit. Sooo the big vinders put pressure on the leadership to limit the small hobbiest. There by consentrating the cash at the swap. This is what Boyd was famous for.
Last year(spring) Bob said come one come all. We had the best frag swap in CMAS history, in the worst economy ever. I told him " this is why everyone is here, so many tables."
The desire to be bigger is not always the best idea. Big fish hatcheries fail monthly. Basment breeders keep pluging away. We keep cost down. And keep giving people what they want.
" Well Mitch the vinue is charging that much for a table". Way to take the bull by the horns there leadership. You work for the membership and if the members want a swap ..... You bloody well ought to have one.
I support our leadership. But my voice will be heard also. If the will of the people is not heard.... The people will find a leader that will do their will. I will be renewing my membership. I will be at the next meeting. I will vote. I belive my 60 contacts will vote also.
This change of events should have been posted for input from members befor its execution.

FishBeard

I agree with what you are saying, but seriously Mitch, I have NO doubt that if you dropped coin for a full table @ $150, you would make your money back in the first 2 minutes of the event! I know more people that pride their Booyah clowns than people gloating about their ORA "masterpieces"... We have a fantastic group of local breeders putting out amazing captive bred fish in the area that rival all those big fish hatcheries that are paying $475 for tables if they choose to attend...

BigKev23

Well said, Mitch!!!

BADGUS

I don't see the sense in crying about the cost of 1/2 a table.You will get your money back in a few mins,plus there are Vendors from across the country that will be attending,it's been ages since Chicago has put on a show of this magnitude,why not take the opportunity and make yourself known for a small fee.This is the first time anything like this has been attempted since i've been in the hobby and we should support Bob's efforts instead of complaining about the little details.

Kerusso316

First. I don't need some event to promote my bissness. If I need that....I will use a proven format like Backer, or a banner on that big site. Second all I really need is word of mouth from great people. Third, for that event to work you need people. To get people there you need fragers and venders. I called a lot of venders today..... It ant looking good, very few have committed. I sure hope CMAS did not pre pay for the venue. Fourth, a friend brought this to my attition today. If we do sign up, how do we cover the price of a booth/table...... We pass it on to the members with higher prices. What if we( fragers and venders) don't show up...... CMAS eats the cost of the venue. Once again the members pay. this is a fleeceing eather way you look at it. I'll bet the farm, attandence will not be over 500. 18$ a ticket. I hope I am wrong. I love this club. But I love the people in more.

Fish_wiz2

First. I don't need some event to promote my bissness. If I need that....I will use a proven format like Backer, or a banner on that big site. Second all I really need is word of mouth from great people. Third, for that event to work you need people. To get people there you need fragers and venders. I called a lot of venders today..... It ant looking good, very few have committed. I sure hope CMAS did not pre pay for the venue. Fourth, a friend brought this to my attition today. If we do sign up, how do we cover the price of a booth/table...... We pass it on to the members with higher prices. What if we( fragers and venders) don't show up...... CMAS eats the cost of the venue. Once again the members pay. this is a fleeceing eather way you look at it. I'll bet the farm, attandence will not be over 500. 18$ a ticket. I hope I am wrong. I love this club. But I love the people in more.
Well spoken Mitch, your reputation is beyond sustainable just by word of mouth. I mean, who doesnt like beautiful and affordable clowns from a great breeder? :D

I do not know how you think he will make his money back in two minutes.How much money do you think he makes off a fish? I think he would have to sell at least 20 or more fish at a swap to start making money.It takes him over six months to get his clowns to a size where he can sell them. I think his time ,electrical bills, heating bills, water, food and salt plus the cost of the table i don't think he will make his money back in two minutes.Plus what he would pay for a spot here he can save that money and use it to get a table at three other swaps where he can get his name out to people that do not know about him.I think he will make a lot more money out of state swaps. local people can get his clowns anytime so they will spend their money on out of town vendor at the swap where they can buy stuff at good prices and no shipping cost They can buy from local vendors on this site any day.

uote=BADGUS;39116]I don't see the sense in crying about the cost of 1/2 a table.You will get your money back in a few mins,plus there are Vendors from across the country that will be attending,it's been ages since Chicago has put on a show of this magnitude,why not take the opportunity and make yourself known for a small fee.This is the first time anything like this has been attempted since i've been in the hobby and we should support Bob's efforts instead of complaining about the little details.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.