out with the old (RKL) in with the new (APEX gold)

superchargedgp

so I come home yesterday and everything in my tank is off. WTF??? yup you guessed it, reef keeper took a shit. 2 PC4 shorted out and the display got corrupted. After 2 hours of powerstrip swaps, and plug in timers the tank is back up again. Myreef 2.0 was useless as usual. that was a last straw, took that crap tossed it into a box and threw it in the garage. So now I have Apex gold coming in tue or wed from BRS. any quick notes and tips on the set up? especially light cycle and dosing kalk with aqualifter.
thanks

Spartanman22

I have an RKE on my current setup and purchased an Apex Gold for my upgrade. Not a fan of the RK so I feel your frustration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Nice pick up on the gold! On the Energy bars, make sure you plug in low wattage electronics into the relay outlets. Do not use the TRIACs for dosing pumps or ATO pumps as they will some times stick in the on position!

Last edited:

JLee1469

I have a RKE and RKL and haven't had any issues. I understand programming is limited and not as intuitive as Apex but surely is a good value. Sure beats power strips and timers any day.

superchargedgp

Nice pick up on the gold! On the Energy bars, make sure you plug in low wattage electronics into the relay outlets. Do not use the TRIACs for dosing pumps or ATO pumps as they will some times stick in the on position!

Yeah. Same way as reef keeper i use 4 and 8 for doser and ato