overflow too loud

i mean really loud. i have a 90 gallon pre-drilled tank with the drilling on the bottom. one hole in eack of the back two corners. just water tested thlde tank after re-sealing. no leaks so far ! i have a ehiem 1260 return pump in my sump. the suction on the overflow stand pipe is causing a whirlpool over the overflow and the suction is really loud. sucking in lots of air as well. did i mention it was loud. please help if you can.

ColaAddict

Research Durso overflow. You need to vent that air out to silence it. Research Durso standpipe on you tube to get instructions on how to do it.

ColaAddict

It's the exact same thing. The pipe inside the overflow box works the same as the pipe in your built in overflow. Youtube DIY Durso Standpipe

anyone ever do this like i have to...without an overflow box? where should the water level be on the standpipe while in operation? is it the same as if i had an overflow box middle of the T?

BADGUS

The way it is now will work just fine,put a valve under the drain pipe before it dumps into your sump,you can dial it in with the valve.

Don't use a valve! What happens when a snail gets stuck in there? Unless you are going to put something on the pipe to stop everything from going down the pipe but water and even then you risk it

ColaAddict

anyone ever do this like i have to...without an overflow box? where should the water level be on the standpipe while in operation? is it the same as if i had an overflow box middle of the T?
You can also buy a custom overflow to hide the pipe, but you will have to empty your tank and seal it in place. The lenght of the pipe depends on how high you want your water level to be, the longer the pipe the higher your water level. Maybe you can do your pipe so you can adjust the height and water level.

mrmadlones

You can put a oversize pvc cap i top just make sure that the water can still go underneath and into the drain .. that quiet mine down alot ..