Petco on Halsted/Clark

SkullV

Back in today to pick up some cat stuff for my fiance and I noticed a pretty nice angler ($29.99). Too bad it's tank mates were a dead Ocellaris clown and a 6" Rectangle Trigger with fins full of Ich. I'm guessing the clown was thrown in there for angler food and the trigger killed it.

sarahwoods

I seriously hate Petco. I don't even buy supplies for my cat there anymore because the fact that they do saltwater so poorly pisses me off! I don't want to give them any business. I really would love to see them go out of business or at least stop carrying saltwater fish and especially inverts. I had to go in there the other day to buy fish food because my LFS was out of the dry food I feed my fish so I had to get a small container of temporary food from them. I seriously was so mad at how horrible their coral looked and how every fish had Ich that I emailed their corporate offices. Not that they will do anything about it....but I had to say something!! Corporate Monsters! Grrr!

Christina237

Couldn't it also be a matter of the breeders making a point to stop selling to places like Petco? I mean Petco can sell them if they want but perhaps the breeders boycot? Unless they aren't getting the stuff from reputable breeders...

m.miller1547

The petco on 95th is simply bad. I live four blocks away and used to work there. They don't care at all. The fish lady thinks the fish look bad because they are sad and need homes. Unforunetly she's ignorant to basic care requirements. I've personally spoke to several mNagers. They do what coorperate says. Toooooo bad. Don't be a sucker. Don't buy anything.

sarahwoods

The petco on 95th is simply bad. I live four blocks away and used to work there. They don't care at all. The fish lady thinks the fish look bad because they are sad and need homes. Unforunetly she's ignorant to basic care requirements. I've personally spoke to several mNagers. They do what coorperate says. Toooooo bad. Don't be a sucker. Don't buy anything.
+1

Yesterday I was getting my phone worked on at the Sprint store on Clyborne and they told me it was going to be a while so I went into Petco which is right next door to kill some time. Talked to the "fish expert" lady in there a little... honestly I acted like I didn't know much about saltwater because I was just trying to entertain myself by figuring out what she was going to tell me. (I know, I know....not too mature of me...but hey, I was bored). Anyways so I asked random questions about certain fish like "How big of a tank does this fish need?" and "What kind of food can I feed this fish?", did you know that you can put a yellow tang in a 20 gallon tank? Oh also, Mandarin Dragonette Goby's will eat pellets! She gave me SUCHHHHH bad information!

Bwidner

Tech Mandarins will eat pellets, its just not easy to get them to start doing so...Petco's are not bad solely because of corporate, everything is up to the store managers discretion, I had a petco in Albuqueurque that had the best looking and healthiest SW fish selection in the city(better than any of the 3 very nice LFS), and if they tested your water when you bought the fish it fell under their 14 day live guarantee that they would honor(I had a lion fish just die after a week in a 100g tank when it was the first fish in there, brought it back got a new one and it was alive and happy 5 years later when I sold off the tank and moved to chicago). They all have discretionary budgets, they can all use that to store use some of the light fixtures, UVs, protein skimmers etc, in addition to building and buying stuff out of the store. While corporate should provide all this from the start, the store manager can build themselves a decent SW section by learning/training employee's and using some of their budget(instead of using it for the bottom line to help their bonus).

Corporate is the big guy at fault......the local manager is the one who sees these animals suffer every day and doesn't care when they could make it better.

sarahwoods

Tech Mandarins will eat pellets, its just not easy to get them to start doing so...
Wow, did not know that! I don't think that was the case with the skinny mandarin I saw at this particular petco but that is really cool to know! I would pay a LOT of money for a Mandarin who would eat pellets or even frozen mysis or brine shrimp! :)

m.miller1547

Tech Mandarins will eat pellets, its just not easy to get them to start doing so...Petco's are not bad solely because of corporate, everything is up to the store managers discretion, I had a petco in Albuqueurque that had the best looking and healthiest SW fish selection in the city(better than any of the 3 very nice LFS), and if they tested your water when you bought the fish it fell under their 14 day live guarantee that they would honor(I had a lion fish just die after a week in a 100g tank when it was the first fish in there, brought it back got a new one and it was alive and happy 5 years later when I sold off the tank and moved to chicago). They all have discretionary budgets, they can all use that to store use some of the light fixtures, UVs, protein skimmers etc, in addition to building and buying stuff out of the store. While corporate should provide all this from the start, the store manager can build themselves a decent SW section by learning/training employee's and using some of their budget(instead of using it for the bottom line to help their bonus).

Corporate is the big guy at fault......the local manager is the one who sees these animals suffer every day and doesn't care when they could make it better.
Why don't the mangers take more care? They simply don't meet the needs of basic sw livestock or reptiles. Some of the employees have great hearts and care, but the guy in charge; who should care the most is losing tons of profit. There is soooo much room for improvement. I have offered them guidence on basic setup and care as a customer. I even bought and donated two 48" pc bulbs. :( I'm done ranting.