Pics from my old sps tank

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks for the picture repost [MENTION=454]maidia[/MENTION].

[MENTION=502]sullyman[/MENTION] Bob, would you reminisce and describe your system a little for of that are too young in reefing to know it back in the day?

Last edited:

sullyman

Thanks Mai, I'm always worried that the pics may get lost. I never got copies for myself. Rick has a couple kids now and I'm sure that keeps him busy, great guy.
Menard I'm not sure how it happened, the corals were close together a long time, maybe a turf war ended up with that hybrid, the yellow polyps were coming in on more branches. I wish the corals weren't so stressed when you fragged that one, it's one I'd like to see grown out more.
I set that tank up for sps, mainly acros. It is a 190g tank that had good lighting and a ton of flow. I used a reef flo Barracuda for the return, and had 3 tunzes pushing water, one aimed at the front of the tank, 2 mounted to wavy sea occilators on either side near the top back of the tank. The random and powerful flow was a big key. The final touch was the 10 bulb ATI power module(T5s), after swapping out the lighting to it the corals really took off and the colors popped.
I ran a PM calcium reactor, a Bullet 2 skimmer, and after a conversation with Menard I added another reactor with magnesium, things just took off after that.
The system included 20g frag tank that was feed by the barracuda, it drained into a 30g fuge that also was partially feed by the barracuda after the water flowed through my chiller.
I'll start looking through my pics to find some of the set up more, that will take awhile to get but make it easier to grasp.
Matt at sho tank worked with me and the results were great. I asked him to add 2 valves on the return so I could run GFO and purigen in PM media reactors as needed. Be patient as I can't stay online that long at a time but I will get more pics up.
Thanks everbody, glad you like what you see, I do miss it.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks for sharing Bob. I'll do everything I can to ensure photos are never lost from Chicagoreefs. The site is here to stay and backups are both onsite and offsite :D

maidia

Team CR
Thanks Mai, I'm always worried that the pics may get lost. I never got copies for myself. Rick has a couple kids now and I'm sure that keeps him busy, great guy.
Menard I'm not sure how it happened, the corals were close together a long time, maybe a turf war ended up with that hybrid, the yellow polyps were coming in on more branches. I wish the corals weren't so stressed when you fragged that one, it's one I'd like to see grown out more.
I set that tank up for sps, mainly acros. It is a 190g tank that had good lighting and a ton of flow. I used a reef flo Barracuda for the return, and had 3 tunzes pushing water, one aimed at the front of the tank, 2 mounted to wavy sea occilators on either side near the top back of the tank. The random and powerful flow was a big key. The final touch was the 10 bulb ATI power module(T5s), after swapping out the lighting to it the corals really took off and the colors popped.
I ran a PM calcium reactor, a Bullet 2 skimmer, and after a conversation with Menard I added another reactor with magnesium, things just took off after that.
The system included 20g frag tank that was feed by the barracuda, it drained into a 30g fuge that also was partially feed by the barracuda after the water flowed through my chiller.
I'll start looking through my pics to find some of the set up more, that will take awhile to get but make it easier to grasp.
Matt at sho tank worked with me and the results were great. I asked him to add 2 valves on the return so I could run GFO and purigen in PM media reactors as needed. Be patient as I can't stay online that long at a time but I will get more pics up.
Thanks everbody, glad you like what you see, I do miss it.
No problem Bob. Now I have the pictures save on my PC and Photobucket. If you need them I will email to you.
Speaking SPS, we need your experience to share with us.
How is your back as of today?
Thanks.

sullyman

Thanks guys, I'm still having trouble walking, sciatica pain rom my back(herniated discs at L4and L 5). I've seen 4 surgeons and the consensus is no surgery at this time, they don't see surgical solution.
It was feeling pretty good but my left hip was shot so I had it replaced, that made my back worse, but I have 2 new hips now. If I can get my back to calm back down, I might start moving again, working on it.