Planning a new system- sneak peak

tinman

Dang .. those pieces and the tank are so very beautiful. not sure how i missed this thread till now.

Nice work buddy.

MMreef

Quick video with my phone, watch in HD

[video=youtube;7bWt5dpM6-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bWt5dpM6-A[/video]

steveo9043

It's a lot of reading and I didn't see it on the first couple pages but with the minimalistic rock scape what are you doing for extra bio filter? Bunch of rock in the sump? K1? Anything? Lol

I'm working on a 4ft 120 and want to do an open scape like yours.

MMreef

It's a lot of reading and I didn't see it on the first couple pages but with the minimalistic rock scape what are you doing for extra bio filter? Bunch of rock in the sump? K1? Anything? Lol

I'm working on a 4ft 120 and want to do an open scape like yours.
6L Siporax in sump.

steveo9043

6L Siporax in sump.
Any chance you can explain setup more? Been googling and can't find much on reef tanks.

How did you come to 6L?

Is it just in the center section of your sump where usually the fuge is?

Low or high flow?

Does it need light?

Sorry for all the questions just can't seem to find the info.

I've read that it should go after the skimmer.

MMreef

Any chance you can explain setup more? Been googling and can't find much on reef tanks.

How did you come to 6L?

Is it just in the center section of your sump where usually the fuge is?

Low or high flow?

Does it need light?

Sorry for all the questions just can't seem to find the info.

I've read that it should go after the skimmer.
Siporax is a media instead of LR for bacteria to colonize. It is suggested to use 1L for 25gal. I keep it in my return section with slow flow, no light. It needs to be kept clean of any detritus, so it doesn't become nitrate factory. I use filter socks on my returns, also being in last section of my sump , no dirt gets there. I keep it in a box made of eggcrate, i take it out once a while and rinse it with saltwater from WC. I only use minimal amount of rock in my tank as you see, also there was no LR at all, it is all ceramic rock. Never had any problems with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. It works if done correctly. There are many successful reef tanks using this method, unfortunately mostly outside USA, for some reason people here want to compare them to bioballs that are nitrate factory and don't work in reef set up.

Here you can see my sump set up

ultimatemj

Nice looking tank!

I'm a big wrasse fan, but wow the Flame Angel is really hot!

Say on the Siporax....I spy the doser...are you "feeding" it with alcohol? And are you monitoring redox values?

Thanks,
M.J.

steveo9043

Siporax is a media instead of LR for bacteria to colonize. It is suggested to use 1L for 25gal. I keep it in my return section with slow flow, no light. It needs to be kept clean of any detritus, so it doesn't become nitrate factory. I use filter socks on my returns, also being in last section of my sump , no dirt gets there. I keep it in a box made of eggcrate, i take it out once a while and rinse it with saltwater from WC. I only use minimal amount of rock in my tank as you see, also there was no LR at all, it is all ceramic rock. Never had any problems with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. It works if done correctly. There are many successful reef tanks using this method, unfortunately mostly outside USA, for some reason people here want to compare them to bioballs that are nitrate factory and don't work in reef set up.

Here you can see my sump set up

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try this out.

This is the stuff right? Seems like $19 Per/L is the best price when buying individually. 10L for $150 is a great price but don't need all 10L