Poidog's 70g Tech Tank Build

rattyE36

I saw my garden eel once.....I think he needed a deeper sand bed. I'd be very surprised if he's still in my tank somewhere! I got mine from the same shipment that your's came in. Good luck with your's I'm sure you will have much more luck with your's than I had with mine!

Wow! That Mandarin looks really nice. I love how they move. Looks like a helicopter or something. That's the fish that got me into this hobby.

poidog

Alright! I had some time to take some shots for a quick photo update :)

Since the last update please welcome some new additions: Fredrick the Choati Wrasse (eating Rods and pellets), and Eric & Patrick the Helfrichi Firefish (named after me and my husband, haha). If you remember Patrick #1 died mysteriously, so this is Patrick II

Corals!

Blasto

Rainbow Lobo

WWC Northerlights Monti

ORA Phil's Granulosa

Tyree True Undata

Jason Fox Aquaman

Tierra del Fuego

Sno-Cone Prostrata

ORA Hawkins

ORA Borealis

Yellow Brick Road Monti

BlakeT

Everything looks great and the choati looks like he's in great condition! Any chance we could get an updated FTS?

And your pictures look great, but for some of the closeups setting your aperture a little higher would help you get a deeper depth of field so the picture will have more in focus.

youngreef

I saw your tank last night..beautiful tank..I like the yellow blackdot goby..
he is cool...stays in the hole..I may get one some day...
thanks

poidog

Everything looks great and the choati looks like he's in great condition! Any chance we could get an updated FTS?

And your pictures look great, but for some of the closeups setting your aperture a little higher would help you get a deeper depth of field so the picture will have more in focus.
Thanks Blake, I'm still learning the camera so I'll give that a try! Thanks. The close ups are with a macro lens so it is a bit tighter.

I saw your tank last night..beautiful tank..I like the yellow blackdot goby..
he is cool...stays in the hole..I may get one some day...
thanks
That would actually be a blue spot jawfish. And his name is José :)

bennyblanco

Wow nice and nice! Can I be first in line if you frag that frogspawn?

I have a little pearlberry frag that is starting to take off! Can't wait to gets to be that size!
Brett

Yes. I found it in San Diago. Haven't seen one as intensely colored before.

That is the ORA Pearlberry. Thanks!

poidog

Those are just diatoms that just bloomed up when the jawfished moved a bunch of sand last week. I'm just waiting for them to die off, should only be another week or so before they fad away.

poidog

Ok, so since I'm sick, I don't feel like doing too much of anything else... so how about a little narrative of what is going on lately. :)

I've been struggling with low Ph now that our heat has been on since October. I was hitting 7.6 at night and 8 during the day and that was with using kalk in my ATO! I know that this is "bad" but it's harder for the corals to extract the calcium out of the water so growth would be slower (except the palmers blue milli grows like crazy!). I knew there was just too much CO2 in the air and consequently in my tank. So to combat this I got a CO2 scrubber from Bulk Reef Supply. All it is is soda lime balls put in a DI canister with an airline from the canister to the silencer of my skimmer. This way the air reacts with the soda lime before entering my skimmer resulting in air that is almost CO2 free being interjected into my tank. Just 12 hours of running the scrubber held my PH at 8 during the night, I'll find out what it goes up to during the day today. So far, very happy with this very easy fix!

<insert picture of scrubber>

Next up, Fish. Here is my current stock list
3 ocellaris clowns
3 green chromis
2 helfrichi firefish
1 blue spot jaw fish
1 Choati wrasse
1 sharknose goby
1 ORA Blue Mandarin

Here is the current coral list:

montis:
ATL Appleberry
Tyree Setosa
UWW Sunburst
Jason Fox Aquaman
Yellow Brick Road
Tyree True Undata
WWC Northern Lights

acros:
ORA Hawkins
Sno-Cone Prostrata
Candle light
Tierra del Fuego
Vivid Rainbow Delight
Greg Carrol's Ultimate Efflo
ORA Stoli
Jason Fox Unknown
ORA Blue Voodoo
ORA Borealis
DFS Super Blue Tenuis
Tyree Mother of Pearl
ORA Pearlberry
DFS Real Deal Echinata
ORA Phil's Granulosa
ORA Joe the Coral
Palmer's Blue Mili
Tyree Lime in the Sky
Aquadelight
ORA Blue Iris
ORA Red Planet
Fire Ice echinata
ORA Ponape birdsnest
ORA purple stylo

LPS:
Cherry Corals Malibu Beach acan
Rainbow acan
Indonesian frogspawn
Rainbow lobo
Red/Blue blastos
ASD Royal Watermelon Chalice
WWC Situation Chalice
aussie color splash lobo

poidog

Sorry for the broken pictures at the beginning of the thread. I don't know what happened, but they were deleted (somehow) from my online hosting account. I have fixed the ones where I could find the picture to re-upload.

poidog

By request here is an update and photos of the equipment running the tank.

I have a JBJ artica 1/10 chiller hooked up to cool the tank during the warmer months and for when the MH heats the tank too much

Here is the sump. I have the return going into a 100 micron sock in the first chamber. The first chamber has a marineland utility pump 900 feeding the BRS carbon reactor (hung above - upper left) which returns into the 3 chamber. The SRO XP-1000SSS skimmer is hooked up to the CO2 scrubber through the silencer. This elevates the O2 in the tank and keep the PH stable between 8.1-8.4. There are 2 Ebo heaters also in the first chamber.

Second chamber is the fuge consisting of sand, rubble, chaeto, and a mini-jet 400 for circulation. It is lit by an AI nano LED.

The thrid chamber has the float switch for the ATO which is ran by a aqualifter pump and the RKL. The return pump is the SRO Water Blaster 1000. This was the best pump and the most SILENT I could find and test. It is very much worth the extra price tag.

CO2 Scrubber, ATO reservoir with Kalk, and carbon reactor

Tank circulation is done by an MP40 and MP10 hooked up to a battery back up. All electronic controls, temp, and PH are managed with the RKL.

Lighting is by a Giesemann Infiniti 24" 250w MH 4x24w T5 fixture. Giesemann makes the best MH fixture you can by IMO. I have retrofitted it with 3 moon light LEDs that reside in the front T5 housing. The moonlights are wired in seamlessly and you don't even see them.

T5s only on