Poison Dart Frogs - my build and general info

jrpark22000

Premium member
yep, sorry. Veterinarian specialized in dendros. They can help to treat some of the skin problems and other issues. There is also at least one well known on dendroboards who you can send a deceased frog to for an autoposy to determine what to treat your remaining frogs for. Vets are actually options for frogs where as a vet visit for a 16” tang just isn’t feasible. When the frogs cost $30-$100 each a vet visit can save you money if you have a few frogs.

Oh and for frogs, you don’t stick them in the freezer to euthanize them. Use Orajel on the belly and they go out as it going under for surgery.

scotty

they make inserts for the back of most regular sized tanks too. like mangrove roots, or just a huge amazon stump. I was gonna do it for a while until i came back to salt for a discus tank.

jayjigga

In chicagoland yeah, but I don't have any references on which ones are worth a crap.
I never did the vet thing, but I also stuck with the same breeder towards the latter part of the hobby. When I was a noob, I mixed vendors which doesn't help narrowing the issue, and I never took the time to QT. If you have the resources, great, but otherwise I say do your due diligence and dust the food and buy from reliable breeders.

madjoe

Premium member
I haven’t told the wife about this part yet. One of the numerous obstacles still ahead of me.
I wouldnt tell her lol. Let her find out after the fact then play dumb. Its harder for her to say get rid of em then it will be for her to say dont get em :)

jrpark22000

Premium member
... I never took the time to QT. If you have the resources, great, but otherwise I say do your due diligence and dust the food and buy from reliable breeders.
Thanks, I was thinking similar. Instead of getting a frog here and there, try and get them all at once from the same reputable breeder and QT them in the display. Going forward I'd then need to support a QT setup.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I wouldnt tell her lol. Let her find out after the fact then play dumb. Its harder for her to say get rid of em then it will be for her to say dont get em :)
The wife really is understanding and usually never says no. The "no" will come in when she would need to take care of the stuff while I travel. To get minimize the fly problem, I've been thinking about a large acrylic box or storage unit with acrylic drawers to house the cultures. Leave air holes in the top for ventilation, but put diatomaceous earth on the bottom of the box to kill any escapes. I’d then only need to worry about the ones that escape from the terrarium.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I never did an expensive mister system, just the cheap diy of a humidifier on a timer; worked awesome! After doing SW for a bit, I would totally incorporate the plumbing knowledge and just build your own tank to where it'll fit your needs. OP might even come out cheaper than the pre-fab exo.
I dug back in to the topic and this was the general consensus (including one example) for why I chose a mister over humidifier.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/81309-mistking-humidifier.html

Two different pieces of equipment for two different uses..
Do you put Oranges in your Apple Pie?
Ideal situation have both..
Mistking to wash down and water plants and remove waste from glass
Humidifier to help with humidity and control moisture in areas where plain misting does not reach. and add cool effects to the Tank

I also see mistking has put our a $100 starte kit and would prefer it over the exoterra monsoon system.

http://www.mistking.com/Starter-Misting-System-MKMSN.html

caragol

I'm out... :/ No live breeding of food cultures with me. Keeps me from having dwarf seahorses too. Always thought it would be cool though.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Agreed, live food cultures really suck. It's even worse that there is not an easy local FF source in case you lose your cultures. The closest I found is joshsfrogs in MI. They can overnight or next day you a culture, but that is serious $.

jayjigga

Agreed, live food cultures really suck. It's even worse that there is not an easy local FF source in case you lose your cultures. The closest I found is joshsfrogs in MI. They can overnight or next day you a culture, but that is serious $.
Completely agree. I'd have to see how you're envisioning this acylic box of nasty, but if you haven't FF before, they get everywhere and cocoon on anything inside the culture. They basically suffocate themselves till they can't get to the food or cocoon anymore and that's usually why my cultures died. If you've got the funds, disposable containers are the best. If you're like me, you'll stack em till they're disgusting and then spend an hr salvaging the containers. Only bright side about waiting a while is that everything dries out and dumps pretty easy (my little secret).

Mistking for that price, is definitely the way to go, and I agree, to have both would be ideal. I manually sprayed cause I didn't splurge for the Mistkings, but I did drool :)

Tethered_Limbs

likewise, but with most hobbies thats not the case. the majority of ppl who start reefin dont even make it through the first year/crash

jrpark22000

Premium member
Completely agree. I'd have to see how you're envisioning this acylic box of nasty… Only bright side about waiting a while is that everything dries out and dumps pretty easy (my little secret).

Mistking for that price, is definitely the way to go, and I agree, to have both would be ideal. I manually sprayed cause I didn't splurge for the Mistkings, but I did drool :)
I think you are missing my intent. I’d keep the FF cultures in the disposable containers. I’d then keep the disposable containers in the acrylic box. Instead of just putting them under a sink or on a shelf where escapees are free to multiply, I’d keep the DE on the bottom of the box to try and kill as many escapees as possible. I know it won’t be perfect, just trying to limit how many flies are hopping around. I’ve also kept honey bees (still have the empty drawn out boxes,) so I’ve had to learn to deal with wax moths. I had to get creative to deal with them as they get bloody efing everywhere. I fully expect the FFs to be as bad. Thanks for the tip on reusing the containers. I might be able to use my wax moth experience to keep the empty containers out of harm’s way while they dry out using paramoth.

I won’t know for sure until I get it setup, but a mistking or monsoon and the water feature might be able to keep the humidity up w/o the humidifier. Only time will tell.

How’d you get over the drooling problem? I still tend to drool each night, but it is partially related to the beer:alcoholic:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Exactly Erik. Hopefully I can scare a few with this thread. Dendroboard is full of frog build threads that are abandoned within 1.5 years. Can't say if they owners still have the frogs or if they bailed. Hard to say it’s a coincidence...

madjoe

Premium member
I didn't have issues with flies getting out of the breeder cups it was mainly the frog cage I didn't build one I bought and I wasn't exactly fly proof lol. at the time I was a zoo I had salt water tank freash water tank 2 huge iquanas , sugar gliders , a corn snake , veiled chameleons, and the dart frogs. talk about busy with maintaince. I had to stop going to the animal expo my wife and I would want to buy everything shes just as bad as me with pets she loves animals and fish . do it up right and post some pics im excited to see this come together