Poll - What do you do to maintain pH Swings?

How do you maintain your pH Swings (especially after lights out)?!

• Dose Kalk at night

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dose Alkalinity 2-Part portion at night and Calcium during the day

• Other.. Please post a note about what it is and the results!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
As I am always interested in learning new ways to better manage different things in our Reef tanks, I was curious to see what everyone does and their results to maintain a steady pH!

1. Reverse lighting schedule for fuge, frag, or other secondary tank
  2. Dose Kalk at night
  3. Dose Alkalinity 2-Part portion at night and Calcium during the day
  4. Dose Alkalinity and Calcium 2-part both at night
  5. Other.. Please post a note about what it is and the results!
  6. pH, I don't care!

[MENTION=1277]jrpark22000[/MENTION] [MENTION=454]maidia[/MENTION] not sure if I set up the poll properly! Feeling noobish..

Last edited:

ColaAddict

6. Don't care about pH. Been doing SPS for awhile and stopped caring about pH years ago.
Only care about Alk, Mag, Cal. If those are fine, then pH should be fine. Maybe if you are using calcium reactor you keep eye on pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
6. Don't care about pH. Been doing SPS for awhile and stopped caring about pH years ago.
Only care about Alk, Mag, Cal. If those are fine, then pH should be fine. Maybe if you are using calcium reactor you keep eye on pH.

Do you dose during the day versus at night or evenly throughout a 24 hit period?

anarchy

I don't do anything about it yet. If it drops too low then I'll get the co2 absorbing media and connect it to the air inlet of my skimmer. Believe it's called a co2 scrubber.

I'm running a cal reactor but when I was dosing manually I would do it usually in the morning after testing.

Here's my apex graph

willtheld

[MENTION=2612]anarchy[/MENTION] I've used the co2 scrubber on a 55g I had a few years back. To be honest I didn't see it do much. Maybe a few points at best. My tank shot up though when I opened the windows making me think there's more oxygenation happening outside the slimmer, probably at the overflow and filter socks.

wrasse

The day to day PH swings seem common; I watch out for the big swings, usually caused by excess CO2.

When the house is closed up tight my PH will drop.
When I have people over my PH can drop.
When the stove is on my PH will drop.

To fix it
open a window.
Have some house plants in the fish room.
Something green growing in the sump.
CO2 scrubber, change the media.
Add some more O to the water, air pump, surface agitation, more flow to the overflow.
( I never tried this one) add an air line hooked up to the skimmer that goes outside.

The biggest thing is probably just try to keep it stable and what can work for your set up.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I just received my BRS dose pumps yesterday and set up my initial Cal and Alk dosing to happen only when the main lights are off.

Here is my pH chart showing the dip the morning of the 27th versus the morning of the 28th. Maybe nothing significant, but more stability is never a bad thing!
View attachment 14132

Sorry the picture came out so small.. here were the readings..
6AM on 27th - 8.03
6AM on the 28th - 8.14

Last edited: