Possible Summer Grow out Paly - Thoughts???

Paly/Grow Out Cost

• I would NOT be interested in this grow-out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DB9181

Alright I happen to come across what i thought was a pretty unique/cool paly. I was able to possibly secure a 20 polyp colony if we are interested. This would be a 'premium' grow-out, and with only 20p be limited to the first 20 individuals (please do not PM/Post you want a spot right now...this is just a feeler via poll).

These are an 'exclusive' to this particular vendor (please don't ask as of now) called "Neutron Bombs" - fast growers and love high light.

View attachment 15566

There are a couple options, basically higher or lower payout.... really only $5 difference, I would personally vote for the extra payout.

Please use the poll function to express you're thoughts...

BigKev23

They look cool, but I don't see how they will keep that coloration without blasting them with light.

tinman

They look cool, but I don't see how they will keep that coloration without blasting them with light.
+1
exactly what i said i chat .

these kinda palys ted to change their color/pattern based on the light we give them.

DB9181

True - That would have to be taken into consideration when deciding to join - I am waiting to hear back about a specific PAR range its currently kept in. I know myself I could keep it at over 350 PAR if needed. Even the current Gobstoppers look pretty different (brightness/vividness) based on light... I had them growing fine in the corner at under 150par, but faided, etc.

richiet

Not a fan. Definitely wild caught, the other half of the rock has a different wild colony. Makes it a little sketchy to do a lot of fragging for a grow out. Not everything a vendor sells is premium even though he calls them fire

pasphotography

I know who has those!!!. i was thinkin of buying those when I saw them. haha. Different is Better!!! we need zoas no one has!

scotty

I have orange / yellow "painted" ones like this. They just don't look real they are too cool. And don't love a ton of light. I'm very in if this is the frag.

edsbeaker

OK, after a couple days of thinking I've decided to be brave enough to offer my opinion. So here goes! :fie: When I saw that you would possibly have to limit the grow out to less than 20 people, I just felt that a lot of people, me included, would be disappointed if they couldn't participate. You had 32 people in the last grow out. There is obviously a lot of interest from the CR community to be involved, so maybe look for a frag that would allow this. That way it's open to all. It seems to me that sometimes the polyp isn't ALL that matters, it is the fun of the challenge. Why limit that to only 20?

EDIT: You can always buy that frag and divide it up on your own. It does look pretty cool.

jayjigga

OK, after a couple days of thinking I've decided to be brave enough to offer my opinion. So here goes! :fie: When I saw that you would possibly have to limit the grow out to less than 20 people, I just felt that a lot of people, me included, would be disappointed if they couldn't participate. You had 32 people in the last grow out. There is obviously a lot of interest from the CR community to be involved, so maybe look for a frag that would allow this. That way it's open to all. It seems to me that sometimes the polyp isn't ALL that matters, it is the fun of the challenge. Why limit that to only 20?

EDIT: You can always buy that frag and divide it up on your own. It does look pretty cool.
Marilyn, this thread is specifically a feeler for this specific polyp. If people want to do chong bongs, we'll have enough for everybody. I'm actually digging the idea of multiple growouts...have a cheapy nice polyp, medium, and a high end maybe? That way we can involve more people without subjecting them to a price tag.

edsbeaker

Marilyn, this thread is specifically a feeler for this specific polyp. If people want to do chong bongs, we'll have enough for everybody. I'm actually digging the idea of multiple growouts...have a cheapy nice polyp, medium, and a high end maybe? That way we can involve more people without subjecting them to a price tag.
Thanks for clarifying, Jay. Sounds good!

DB9181

Up exactly what jay said -there are some that are "collectors" and want a high end/different paly, while others wants a mind range - due to the price, less people would be interested in a "high end" -I attempted to secure a larger colony of these, but 20 was the most I could get (and even that was hard as the vendor didn't want to give that much of his colony up) Jay and I are working on some different avenues for the grow-out, ie: multiple grow outs because not everyone is always interested i the same polyp, cost, etc so no matter what, someone is going to be "out" /not participate. Again, this is just a "feeler" thread -I did not want to make the polyp decision soley on my own, rather I would like to do what the majority of the community wants. If we can get 15+ members interested I have no proble purchasing this colony and doing a smaller grow-out, along with a larger one.

BigKev23

I like the idea of multiple growouts. I voted incorrectly as I thought we were just figuring out a price point. I do not wish to pursue this polyp.

DB9181

Also, nothing says (as of now) that you can only do one grow out at a time - I dont see any reason you couldnt participate in all of them as each is their own polpy/contest, etc

The idea of multiple grow outs just gets more members active - I, for example, already have a colony of Chong Bongs, and other members may as well, therefore stopping them from participating if that was the only grow-out going on.

CoralN00b

Dan and Jay, you guys are definitely on the right track and I think this is awesome!

I had unfortunate luck with my tank on the last grow out so I am looking forward to these. I will definitely join multiple ones. Thanks for doing this guys.

tkh

Multiple grow outs are fun, just don't have too many simultaneous ones going on, in my opinion at least! Either way, and despite buying potentially an expensive snack for my mystery predator, I'm in regardless of the polyp! :) I enjoy the competition as much as the ultimate reward of having a new colony to enjoy.