• $20 Fee - Nice Paly, higher payout/prizes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $30 Fee - Nicer Paly, high payout/prizes

• $30 Fee - 'Premium' Paly, decent payout/prizes

• Total voters

DB9181

Well Well Well... Where has the time gone? We are nearing the last 2 weeks of the Official ChicagoReefs.com Spring 2013 Paly Grow-Out Contest - I've had a great time hosting it, meeting each of you, and seeing the progression of not only your frags but also your tanks over the last 3 months.

I think its time to look forward at selecting a possible Paly Colony for the Summer Grow-Out so that we don't have unnecessary down-time.

I am not necessarily stating that I will be the person running the next grow-out, I do enjoy participating in them, but I do not mind 'hosting' another one. I also now have a 20L Grow-Out tank, so it would be easier to hold ~40frags, instead of them having to be in my (or someone else's) display tank.

Typically we like to keep the registration fee between $15-$20 with ~$10/participant going to prizes/payout. In the past we have gone slightly higher to get a 'premium' paly, but that is up to the community as a whole -The issue with a $30 Registration fee is the possibility of less members participating. We also tend to like to receive the grow-out colony from a Member of our Community verses a vender/online but are open to either (online typically comes with a shipping fee which affects total payout).

Generally, we need a mature paly colony with at least 30 polpys - We had ~32 participants for the Spring Grow-out, so 35-40+ heads is best to ensure everyone that wants to participate can, and we have room for potential lose of a couple heads during fragging. Price typically sits at no more than $10/head. This is where receiving a colony from a member can have its benefits. IE: The group gets a great colony frag for sometimes 1/2 the cost, and the member receives $150-$300 for their colony :) It's also helpful if it is a Paly that everyone does not already have, as more members are likely to partake in the festivities.

Thus, I am search for thoughts, suggestions, and leads for a potential colony for the next grow out ;)

capysolo

I'm in for the next one. I'd love something a little more colorful... The one we have is so similar to the devils armor i have (i think)... Something along the lines of scrambled eggs. I have a nice colony of those and they look fantastic in my tank.

It's fun! I think mine would be farther along if i hasn't had to move the tank a few weeks ago. Plus the tank was kinda neglected for weeks before that, with all the packing and moving. Oh well.

jayjigga

Zoas are always a tougher fragger than palys, but it's definitely a possibility. I'll see if I have anything I want to share with everyone else... :spy: *mumble" I hate sharing... *mumble*

tkh

Wow Jay, those Chong Bongs are gorgeous!! I'm down for another, this one was fun :) Just hoping I figure out my zoa issues before then... But come to think of it, so far my palys seem ok? Maybe I just cursed myself, lol.