Project Erebor

yman182

I read up on the herbie and don't think I will have any issues using the 1" drain as the backup drain and one of the 3/4" returns as the siphon. I can then use the second 3/4" return as an actual return.

Thanks for bringing up the herbie idea Reeflogic.

Reeflogic

I read up on the herbie and don't think I will have any issues using the 1" drain as the backup drain and one of the 3/4" returns as the siphon. I can then use the second 3/4" return as an actual return.

Thanks for bringing up the herbie idea Reeflogic.
Awesome! You wont regret the set up, just make sure you don't skimp out on the gate valve! Get a quality one, which I am sure you will, seeing everything else you are getting is top notch!

yman182

On to Lighting. Here is what I have so far...

So I think I may have figured it out...below is what I am thinking.

3x - BridgeLux BXRA-40E0950-B-03 - $22.92

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=05W7386&CMP=AFF-CJ-3952736-Newark+Product+Catalog&mckv=|pcrid|20115735381|plid|&source=CJ

18x - CREE XT-E Royal Blue - $55.59

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/cree-xt-e-royal-blue/

6x - CREE Exotic True Violet LED - $29.82

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/exotic-true-violet-led-405nm/

4x - CREE Exotic Turquoise - $10.80

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/exotic-turquoise-495nm/

24" Makers Heatsink - $99.96

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/makersled-designer-heatsink-kit-professional-grade-anodized/

1x Hanging Kit for Makers - $12.00

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/hanging-kit-for-makersled-heatsink/

3x Meanwell LDD-700HW LED Drivers (To power the CREE LEDS) - $21.99

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/meanwell-ldd-700hw-led-driver/

1x 180w 48v 3.75A DC Power Supply (For Meanwell Drivers) - $31.50

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/180w-48v-3-75a-dc-power-supply/

1x Inventronics 75w Driver -700ma (For Bridgelux) - $75.95

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/inventronics-75w-driver-700ma/

1x Steve's LED PWM to 1-10v controller - $44.99

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Aquarium-Controller-Interface-Harness-for-Steves-LEDs-Drivers-harness.htm

1x Neptune Light Controller - $99.99

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2370/

Optics (Wide) - $55

Grand Total = $560.51

Not sure if I should do that or just go for a Reefbreeders Photon32 setup.

SO MANY CHOICES

Reeflogic

None of the links are working for me, it may be on my end lol. I wanted to read through some of your choices!

Reeflogic

Try now....
Hey Yury,

I'm adding some photos for my fixture under my build thread, so I don't hijack your build! Please look over there to see the MAKERS equipment. I think you should consider them over the Steve's and BRS controllers. Just a thought! I initially purchased the DIM4 from ledgroupbuy and ended up sending it back, I didn't want to build a box for it and from the looks, it appears to be just like the Steve version. The MAKERS controller is pretty slick and retros right on the side of the heatsink. Photos will be posted shortly!

|
|
|
v

yman182

The reason I was going to use the Neptune controller is because it will be able to hookup to my apex unit and I will be able to control it using my reef controller.

Reeflogic

The reason I was going to use the Neptune controller is because it will be able to hookup to my apex unit and I will be able to control it using my reef controller.
I have mine through my neptune as well. But the way I use the MAKERS controller is:

Sunrise = 2 hours 8 am -10 am, eases into daily light.
Day = 10 am to 7 pm at roughly 65% intensity (with a 2 hour 10% increase from 1 pm to 3 pm)
Sunset = 2 hours 7 pm to 9 pm
Night mode channel 1 is at 5% (white / OCR / 1 channel of Royal Blue) & channel 2 is at 10% which are my violets and RB's (I have a third driver on channel 2 that was to be used for moonlighting, but it's not currently active)

I use my neptune to power this on and off at 7 am and 10 pm, night time runs from sunset to sunrise, so for an hour before and after sunrise and sunset I get a 5% + 10% mix of very low light that I don't want running all night, just a few hours per day.

Then, finally, the reason i have not set up my 6th driver for moonlights, is I had a moonlight controller that cycles the full moon phase for each month and I just retro fit it into a single cree RB, slightly off centered in my heatsink, which powers up at 9:30 pm and off at 8:30 am. This gives my tank a full light cycle and no need to buy an extra apex controller!

This is MY personal way of doing things, your set up may allow for more specific features and settings, but I'm very happy with my lights so far!

yman182

What do you find the benefit is of having the Makers controller do the dimming instead of using the dimming module from Neptune to control the dimming function?

Reeflogic

Well, I haven't actually read much into the neptune version, but the key for me is A.) Price and B.) ease of use

The controller from Steves site is similar to the DIM4 from ledgroupbuy, its basically a green board that has to go somewhere! I didn't want to run wiring all over the place and make a special box to house the DIM4, so I called Milad back up with ledgroupbuy and he said the Makers version would be out soon, it was only $50 bucks, is plug and play, no hard wiring needed and no additional power supply needed. They hook up to the Makers drivers / controllers with a Din cord and can daisy chain for as many drivers as you have / need. So I felt getting $50 bucks back for an easier to install and use product was the way to go.

Like I said, that neptune controller might do way more than the Makers version, and I would probably like it better if it did, especially if you can get it hooked up to a PC. I still play with my intensity %'s every few weeks and really still learning the ins and outs of LED, such as coral placement, etc. If you plan on doing a purchase from ledgroupbuy, do yourself a favor and email or call Milad with any questions, the guy is an LED God.

yman182

Thanks for the input. I will have to look more closely at the Makers controller. What bugs me about them is that each driver and 2 pots is 60 bucks! I emailed him last night...still waiting for a response!

Reeflogic

Thanks for the input. I will have to look more closely at the Makers controller. What bugs me about them is that each driver and 2 pots is 60 bucks! I emailed him last night...still waiting for a response!
Yeah, that is my only complaint about ledgroupbuy, is they seem to be VERY busy and it takes sometimes a day or two to get back with you haha, have patience! ;) Overall, I had a very good experience with LGB and would use them and recommend then in the future.

Reeflogic

Sorry to keep pestering you with questions, but what array of LEDs did you end up getting?
No problem man! I was scouring LED threads when i purchased mine, so I know the feeling! Ask Milad, i drove him nuts haha. I used the following for my 36" heatsink

32 RB - Cree royal blues
16 CW - Cree cool whites
16 HV - Hyper violets
4 OCW - Ocean coral whites, which are a green, turquoise and red 3up combo

Channel 1 have a string of 16 CW and 1 string of 16 RB and the 4 OCW
Channel 2 I have a string of 16 RB's, a string of 16 HV and an empty 300 driver (room for upgrades I guess)

At some point I want to rewire the drivers and have all white on channel 1 and all blue / purple on channel 2. that would make my intensity settings on the controller easier, I wouldnt have to tweak each individual string / channel as much to get the desired look / par. I need to get a par meter at some point, I think I was frying my corals for a few weeks.... These things are strong.

I also read and read and read about the lack of UV in LEDs and have come to the conclusion that supplementing with a few retro T5's would be nice, so I ordered some and will be adding them onto my heatsink very soon and running some ATI coral plus bulbs. I got the idea from a RC member Psteeleb, if you have never seen his videos , check out youtube (same name). All I can say is Holy Sh*#.

Duc1098

I had the same thoughts about the makers drivers. I was originally going to do 4 of the lumia 5.1 LEDs and decided not to since it would have taken 20 drivers, so 10 makers drivers at $62 a piece, I don't think so. I eventually went with individual LED chips and 10 meanwell LDD-H drivers and a Coralux Storm X controller that can handle up to 16 channels.

yman182

Ohh my goodness...so much to learn and decide on this LED setup. This is what I am leaning towards right now

Ok how does this look for a parts list....I think everything will work, but I am not sure.

I would have 3 clusters of 1 bridgelux surrounded by two Luxeon M. Those would be surrounded by the turqoise and true violet LEDs

The bridgelux would have the 50 degree reflector
The luxeons would have the 63 degree reflector
The Crees would have the 60 degree optics

the bridgelux 1350 would be driven by two Meanwell 500HW drivers
the luxeons would be driven by two Meanwell 1000HW drivers
the true violets would be driven by one Meanwell 750HW driver
the exotic turquoise would be driven by one Meanwell 750HW driver

I would use the 250w 48v 5.2A DC power supply to power everything.

All would be mounted on a 24" makers heatsink.

How does that all look?

Reeflogic

Looks good, I am not that familiar with your choices! Curious, where did you research to find this type of build? I really liked browsing over Steves leds site, some cool stuff. That's the great thing about a DIY, I can replace the LEDs with this newer technology at any time, since I have all the key components! I guess I got tunnel vision and homed in on the ledgroupbuy builds because of a few builds I had browsed, plus I am not very good with electrical stuff, I had to have Milad hold my hand when I ordered lol. I understand it all MUCH more now, so will be easier in the future ;)

Cant wait to see the final product, when are you ordering?

yman182

Looks good, I am not that familiar with your choices! Curious, where did you research to find this type of build? I really liked browsing over Steves leds site, some cool stuff. That's the great thing about a DIY, I can replace the LEDs with this newer technology at any time, since I have all the key components! I guess I got tunnel vision and homed in on the ledgroupbuy builds because of a few builds I had browsed, plus I am not very good with electrical stuff, I had to have Milad hold my hand when I ordered lol. I understand it all MUCH more now, so will be easier in the future ;)

Cant wait to see the final product, when are you ordering?
I am ordering very soon...Steve currently has 15% OFF pretty much everything if I order soon so I will probably order once the nano-reef LED gods tell me my design should work. I have been consulting with them on this forum...

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/329787-diy-lighting-setup-questions/#entry4396289

Getting all my ducks in a row before I order anything. Once it is in I will begin the build. I am also going to get the plumbing done this weekend (hopefully) and order a sump. Then next week is the BRS group buy so I will be ordering stuff on there also. I still cant decide on what skimmer to get or how large of a return pump.

decisions...decisions...

Reeflogic

Getting all my ducks in a row before I order anything. Once it is in I will begin the build. I am also going to get the plumbing done this weekend (hopefully) and order a sump. Then next week is the BRS group buy so I will be ordering stuff on there also. I still cant decide on what skimmer to get or how large of a return pump.

decisions...decisions...
Just remember.... PATIENCE!! I spent 2-3 months planning out and building and ordering and dreaming and losing sleep lol and I STILL wish I had made some different decisions. Just focus on one aspect of the build at a time and get that 100% worked out before thinking of the next part, that is the best advice I can give, if you plan to keep your sanity and save a few dollars. Looking forward to your build and following along.