Proper Quarantine question

Deezill

Premium member
I am getting ready to purchase a Powder Blue Tang. Should I medicate while in QT or just observe while he is in there and treat if I see something?
I will be using Prazi Pro & Seachem Cupramine. i just don't want to medicate if I don't have to. But I will medicate if I am supposed to.
Let me know. Thanks.

goat585

Administrator
I personally observe then medicate if necessary except for prazi pro. I prazi pro everything no matter what. The medicine seems gentle on fish so I see little harm in doing it. I try and avoid using the heavy hitter like formalin or copper unless I see something I don't like. I have a long quarantine time 6 months so I can be a little less aggressive in my treatment. There are some fish thaybi bring in that do get treated with the heavy hitters but those are special circumstances.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I use prazi pro on everything for a week. Then cooper safe for 2 more weeks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

100LL

There are a lot more experienced members than me but I believe this is a matter of personal preference and from my reading over the years people are eager to offer their opinions (varying greatly). To me buying it from the proper trustworthy source/supplier will be key and is always a good start. Then regarding the QT, I say it depends what your goal is and how long you are willing to keep it in QT for observation. I think buying from a good source, medicating with Prazi and a long QT observation period would be an ideal start before considering the introduction of other meds. Additionally, starting with the tank transfer method also seems to be a good/accepted alternative to starting with copper, IF you are up for the work involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GugsJr

TeamCR
There are a lot more experienced members than me but I believe this is a matter of personal preference and from my reading over the years people are eager to offer their opinions (varying greatly). To me buying it from the proper trustworthy source/supplier will be key and is always a good start. Then regarding the QT, I say it depends what your goal is and how long you are willing to keep it in QT for observation. I think buying from a good source, medicating with Prazi and a long QT observation period would be an ideal start before considering the introduction of other meds. Additionally, starting with the tank transfer method also seems to be a good/accepted alternative to starting with copper, IF you are up for the work involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tank transfer method only help with ich, copper will treat more diseases. Since I went fallow for 90 days I don't take any. Handed and they all get treated with Prazi and the 14 days of therapeutic copper levels.

madjoe

Premium member
I am getting ready to purchase a Powder Blue Tang. Should I medicate while in QT or just observe while he is in there and treat if I see something?
I will be using Prazi Pro & Seachem Cupramine. i just don't want to medicate if I don't have to. But I will medicate if I am supposed to.
Let me know. Thanks.
I think you hit it on the head no need to treat with cooper unless u see something that warrants it. Test ammonia levels alot in qt alot of people jump to conclusions that all of sudden they need to treat qt because the fish is scratching or skin looks different and most the time ammonia is the issue. Add copper to heavy ammonia tnk and fish will die . Qt tanks are probably harder to run then a reef tank and lots of people kill their fish in qt then say man must jad ich when it was most likely water quality

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Ich doesn't always show itself so be careful not treating unless you have the ability to observe the tank often.

I prophylactically treat all my fish with either

TTM and Prazi (ich and flukes) or
CopperSafe and Prazi (ich, velvet, flukes)

I also keep metro and focus along with a couple other options to treat bacterial infections.

I QT everything that goes in my tank though after a few bad experiences.

Powder blue tangs are notorious for ich though so be vigilant if you decide to observe.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Ich doesn't always show itself so be careful not treating unless you have the ability to observe the tank often.

I prophylactically treat all my fish with either

TTM and Prazi (ich and flukes) or
CopperSafe and Prazi (ich, velvet, flukes)

I also keep metro and focus along with a couple other options to treat bacterial infections.

I QT everything that goes in my tank though after a few bad experiences.

Powder blue tangs are notorious for ich though so be vigilant if you decide to observe.

Good luck!

Oh and I do not treat at the same time. I typically let the fish settle in and begin eating. If I do not observe any abnormalities, I treat with Prazi. Then CopperSafe after 3-5 days for a total of 30 days.

blkhwkz

Premium member
To much velvet going around from the wholesalers and then most LFS run low level copper which hides velvet and ich. I run everything through CP unless it is not a CP tolerant fish. Copper for the fish that can't tolerate CP. I have 2 QT setup in different parts of the basement, so over 10 feet apart and separated by walls, no need to worry about aerosol transmission. 14 days of CP or copper, moved to sterile QT and observe for a few days, then 2 doses of Prazi 5-7 days apart. I then monitor for a few weeks and usually toss in a black molly during the observation period. Everything goes through 6 weeks minimum, 8 weeks for tangs minimum. Two 76 day fallow periods within a year made me QT everything properly and take no chances. Especially when the first one was a velvet/ich combo that ended up wiping out all my fish.

I will change my procedure as needed, if I freshwater dip the fish and see flukes, I will run the prazi first. If you are going to observe only and not medicate prophylactically then I would observe for over 30 days. If the fish came from a system with low level copper it could take that long to show any signs.

chitown tom

I just picked up a pair of powder blues. They came from a system with low level copper.

They went into a qt tank dosed with cp right away. A few days later I lost the first powder blue.
I am in the process of trying to save the second one.

The more I think about it the more I think I am dealing with velvet.

my recommendation is to medicate the tank especially with all the velvet around.

jp_75

1st week observation( see how fish eats...)
2/3rd prazi
4/5th cupramine
6th observation
Learn the hard way! Nothing gets into without quarantine!
Good luck

Deezill

Premium member
Qt is definitely the way to go. I can't believe some people still don't QT. That like going to vegas you eventually will crap out lol.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
IF you trust your supplier do you still qt then?
Well you don’t have to......but personally, I’d never just throw a fish in my tank regardless of who I bought it from. I’ve had ick, flukes, you name it way too many times.

QT is a pain, but so is running to the fish store to grab medicine that never seems to work anyway.

Many here would disagree with me.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Well you don’t have to......but personally, I’d never just throw a fish in my tank regardless of who I bought it from. I’ve had ick, flukes, you name it way too many times.

QT is a pain, but so is running to the fish store to grab medicine that never seems to work anyway.

Many here would disagree with me.
I agree worth the 14 days of QT

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I agree worth the 14 days of QT

I do 14 days too, but so the tank transfer method, completely replacing the water every three days. Huge Pain and you need 2 QT tanks.....but it works.....at least for ich.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I do 14 days too, but so the tank transfer method, completely replacing the water every three days. Huge Pain and you need 2 QT tanks.....but it works.....at least for ich.
I always lose fish using this method. I go 1 10 or 29 gallon tank depending on quantity or size of fish.

Once they start eating prazi for a week, then copper for 2

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I always lose fish using this method. I go 1 10 or 29 gallon tank depending on quantity or size of fish.

Once they start eating prazi for a week, then copper for 2

I use tank water from my DT. This way, the new Fish are in conditioned water....and I get a partial water change.