READ: help

since i add phosphate reactor to my system couple of sps corals in the tank seems to have die offs on tips i read on internet that some people have the same expirience with phosphates products??? true or false for sure not a new growth

scotty

make sure that your tumbling your media correctly, if you are doing it too fast, and you are getting the iron, or whatever they are using to remove the phosphate, into the water column and that will kill stuff.

start there. also parameters could help us figure out problems too. might just be coincidence that you added it, and the die off started.

DanSreef

Premium member
I am not an SPS expert..... but I have heard that if you make any sudden and drastic changes to a tank with SPS you could see die off. It might be also helpfull to give your water parameters as they test now. There might be something else that is causing the issue but you connect the die off with the adding of the reactor.

sg-1.0255
alk-9.3 salifert
cal- 440 salifert
mag-1470 salifert
ph- 8.1 salifert
nitrate-0 api
nitrite-0
phosphate-3 times did the test its look like 0 on api
amonia-0 on api and instant ocean

but i got some red alge in my overflows (they seems to be burnd) and somew algea on favia coral , i allready took gfo from brs out just add 2 tbsp i was using 20tbsp and i add pleanty of carbon into reactor???

MMreef

I can think of two things :
first, your GFO lowered your PO4 too fast (yesterday you said your PO4 was like 0.25 if I remember correctly,today you say it is zero),SPS corals do not like any sudden changes.
second,sometimes if your ALK goes up to fast it can burn SPS tips.I don't know what your ALK was before,so I am just speculating on this.Any way I would just cut of dead tips so it does not spread .By the way I would not trust API kit with Phosphate measurement.They are better kits out there.I use Hannah Phosphate checker.Very easy and accurate.

ColaAddict

With the GFO, you are supposed to start with smaller amount and slowly add more GFO after a few weeks. You have to slowly bring phophates down.

FishBeard

IIRC, lysy used 1/3 the recommended dosage. I started running gfo/rox 0.8 in a reactor right about the same time he did and I have not noticed the symptoms in my system that he is seeing in his. I used 1/2 the recommended dose of gfo to start with, however on an API kit my phosphates were between the top and 2nd bars, and i was having algae growth on my glass from the overpowered LED fixture. All my other parameters are stable and dosing 2-part, I just wanted to not have to clean my glass every couple days. I hope a solution can be found, Im curious if it was just too much flow thru the reactor. I have mine setup so it looks like the surface of mars is just rumbling, no actual granules bouncing around all over each other.

i add lots of carbon just left 3tbsp of gfo haha will see .new expirience for me with gfo i hope tips will stop burning now i allready cut some of them hope this help. by the way on brs calculator it came up that i should add 35tbsp of gfo hm. my system is like 155g

ColaAddict

yeah, but if you read carefully, they also intruct you to use just a fraction of that and for about 4 weeks, then when you change the GFO, to add more and more everytime you change the GFO. Hope your corals do okay.