Really Need Help ASAP! Blue Hippo has ich! ICH Help!

mvpttk

I have mix reef tank

I have a Blue hippo and Im sure it has aquired ich! It is still eating and swims around as of tonight. It is covered with a lot of white spots, and its breathing looks to be a little heavy and all of my fish have some white spots. Iv been feeding all of my fish new life spectrum and frozen food. My other fish are rubbing the rocks, so I think there getting it as well. Im really worried that Ill loose my fish and not sure what I can do to save them. I have read a lot about ich and it sounds like it is going to take over my entire tank. This is my first major encounter with any problems in my tank. its been up and running for 1 year and levels are good. Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Alk 6.5, and PH 8. My tank is 65 gal and 60lbs live rock. sump refugium filter, protein skimmer, 2 powerheads. Livestock,
Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, 2 snowflake clownfish, 2 chromis, fire fish, Cleaner Shrimp, ,RT Anemone, . Im new to saltwater

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Tarak

Irsug1

Premium member
You'll need to move the fish to a QT tank and treat with copper. The display tank will need to go fallow for 3 months.

MMreef

Transfer method is easier on fish and takes less time, but whatever method you use, you need to catch ALL fish from display and move to qt. Your main tank needs to be fishless for 75 days to eradicate ich . Sorry to hear this, but it is the only way to do it. Medicated food, garlic, etc. are not the solution.

Tank transfer method and hypo treatment only work for Ich. And there is no guarantee that Ich is the only problem. I would recommend copper + prazi. By the way, which fish brought in Ich and where did you buy the fish?

wrasse

Ich is treatable. just take it step-by-step get a quarantine set up together if you don't have one. start making water you will have to do water changes.
Hyposalinity or the tank transfer method are good options if you are not comfortable with copper.

ali3596

3 methods proven to treat ich preferably in this order

Tank transfer method
Copperbased meds
Hyposalinity

Catch them all. Inverts can remain.Leave tank fallow for 120days to be safe. Theres reports that users encountered ich between 90-100days. Just wait the 4months . Dont add coral or anything else during this time

You have to consider that Ich may not be the only issue in the tank and it may not even be Ich. Unless we know for sure, copper is a better choice.

I have mix reef tank

I have a Blue hippo and Im sure it has aquired ich! It is still eating and swims around as of tonight. It is covered with a lot of white spots, and its breathing looks to be a little heavy and all of my fish have some white spots. Iv been feeding all of my fish new life spectrum and frozen food. My other fish are rubbing the rocks, so I think there getting it as well. Im really worried that Ill loose my fish and not sure what I can do to save them. I have read a lot about ich and it sounds like it is going to take over my entire tank. This is my first major encounter with any problems in my tank. its been up and running for 1 year and levels are good. Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Alk 6.5, and PH 8. My tank is 65 gal and 60lbs live rock. sump refugium filter, protein skimmer, 2 powerheads. Livestock,
Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, 2 snowflake clownfish, 2 chromis, fire fish, Cleaner Shrimp, ,RT Anemone, . Im new to saltwater

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Tarak
Your tank isn't big enough for the Blue or a Yellow, by a long shot, give them away and treat your other fish with the methods mentioned.

mvpttk

Thank You so much everyone for great info.

for Tank transfer method i need two tank also i can not keep all of my fish in 10 or 20 gallon tank for 4 months they might be more stress.

is any way i can keep it in same tank and treat. or any meds that are reef safe.

Thank You

wrasse

Once you get the Ich under control it's just a matter of keeping the fish housed all your inverts can stay in the display tank.
You probably need another 20 gallon, or larger, and with the transfer method you should get it under control. Then while waiting your tank to be fish free for 70 + days
split your fish between qt tanks. Maybe try to find a used tank Here on CR.

ali3596

for Tank transfer method i need two tank also i can not keep all of my fish in 10 or 20 gallon tank for 4 months they might be more stress.

is any way i can keep it in same tank and treat. or any meds that are reef safe.

Thank You
billion-dollar question

Thank You
There is none that actually works. Your best bet maybe food mixed with Seachem metronidazole and focus if your fish are still eating. But I don't think it's anymore effective than a cleaner shrimp.

madjoe

Premium member
I have ich in my system now had it for few months uv helps metro and focus works but slowly. If its really ich u will c scratching but not heavy breathing . If your fish r breathing heavy id pull and copper treat most likely something else maybe marine velvet it gets in there gills making hard to breath

I have ich in my system now had it for few months uv helps metro and focus works but slowly. If its really ich u will c scratching but not heavy breathing . If your fish r breathing heavy id pull and copper treat most likely something else maybe marine velvet it gets in there gills making hard to breath
There has been some studies which suggest that an Ich strain will burn itself out in 11-12 months if no new wet additions are made.

madjoe

Premium member
There has been some studies which suggest that an Ich strain will burn itself out in 11-12 months if no new wet additions are made.
Yea i dont worry about my system i know its ich and it will pass im just wondering if he has heavy breathing maybe its not ich

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I've been keeping fish since 1999 and on two occasions, I had ich knock out my whole tank (except Gary my trigger on the second time). I got a third outbreak after getting my pbt and decided I'd try to treat with copper in a QT tank. Didn't lose a fish.

I'm not one of the people that promotes the "leave everything be and ich will sort itself if you provide good conditions and food."

In my experience, your options are to set up a QT with copper or watch your fish die. I know others have pulled off leaving the fish in the DT, but I'm not one of them.

mvpttk

Thank You so much everyone for all your great advice. all fish are doing good right now. i start with Kordon Ich-Attack and will setup qt tank asap.

Thank You
Tarak

#theMatrix

Ok.
So nothing agaisnt you. But thats what everybody says. So ich had a cycle. You possibly noticed the visuals warning you and thought you may have decided to QT. Right now they parasite fell of the fish. The fish is doing great is what reefers say. But the parasite is now in its cyst stage on substrate. Each one will explode into 200 or so more free swimming looking for dory again and it will continue.

Sorry to sound so real.
But im dealing with velvet and watching 8 fish die in 5 days sucked ass. And thats with trying to save them.
With working 12hrs a day. Id come home to dead fish.

Good luck