recommended hob skimmer for my 29 gallon

mr_z

what model or brand or whatever do you guys recommend i need a hob for now since i dont have a sump yet.

Smitty

Premium member
I have a Aqua C Remora HOB protein skimmer, and I've never had an issue...another popular and affordable HOB skimmer is the Octopus brand. Stay away from the ones they sell at petco and petsmart, they're not worth crap.

mr_z

I have a Aqua C Remora HOB protein skimmer, and I've never had an issue...another popular and affordable HOB skimmer is the Octopus brand. Stay away from the ones they sell at petco and petsmart, they're not worth crap.
thanks. i wanted to get one off of ebay i dont think it had a brand but im going to look into the octopus brand ones

Smitty

Premium member
Yeah, I've heard good reviews on them. Just make sure the skimmer is rated for 2x your tank volume.

imbuggin

e shops

I like the eshops one. I actually have an extra one good for up to 75 gallons if you are interested

imbuggin

how much? and maybe a pic
whatever they are new 1/2 $55. It was bought last year and used for 6 months. If you send your email address I will email you a picture later. I will need to dig it out of a box. It is in perfect condition, maybe a bit dirty.

same as here:

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ES-PSK-75H.html

It was definately the best hang on skimmer for the price I have ever had in 20+ years. It actually worked! and well

imbuggin

CPR Bak Pak is another nice HOB skimmer
Sometimes they can be foud for a good price on Ebay
no offense intended. BUT that is the single biggest POS skimmer ever made after a skilter. I had one if I can find it, I will give it away free to anyone who wants it, but don't email me with headaches of how it sucks ;) The newer generation pump is better than the maxijet to power it though.

mr_z

i was considering those cpr bak pak i heard they were good but i like to a few peoples advice before i go out to get one.

1boatnut

no offense intended. BUT that is the single biggest POS skimmer ever made after a skilter. I had one if I can find it, I will give it away free to anyone who wants it, but don't email me with headaches of how it sucks ;) The newer generation pump is better than the maxijet to power it though.
No offense taken.
Mine worked flawlessly for over 3 years,and the person I sold it to has had no issues either.

mr_z

if its free i dont care ill pay for him to ship it to me if he wants itll be easier for me. and with twins on the way i need to save all the money i can. :)

P.Olsen

I have used the Remora's and they are good and the customer service for them is amazing, I had one for 4 years and it started to leak at a seam. I called them and they shipped a brand new one with a call tag for the old one no questions asked, BUT I found modding a cheap coralife super skimmer did a better job, not out of the box but with some easy "tweaks" it did the best job of any hang on skimmer I ever used and it has been a lot over the years. Google super skimmer mods to get some ideas, sometimes it works out to be cheaper with same or better quality to mod less expensive items then buy high end.

P.Olsen

Of course, you could use a HOB overflow, add a sump to add water volume and a in sump skimmer. That would open your options even more and add water volume, a place to hide the heater, skimmer, etc and keep it out of the display.... Just a thought.

mr_z

yeah i want it like that to hide everything but with money so tight i dont think itll happen anytime soon but for now ill use hob. :-(

Smitty

Premium member
Or else Mr_Z, you don't really need a skimmer right now. Just maintain good water parameters with water changes, and keep the bio-load down, and feed lightly. :)

P.Olsen

Or else Mr_Z, you don't really need a skimmer right now. Just maintain good water parameters with water changes, and keep the bio-load down, and feed lightly. :)
A skimmer will help with those parama as well as to add oxygen to the system and help with water clarity, not something I would rec as not needing. You can run a set up without a skimmer but the smaller the tank the more difficult that is and a 29 does not have the best surface area for gas exchage so I would def use a skimmer, my $.02