red slime remover - help me out

jrpark22000

Premium member
Ok, so the tank has been up for 4-5 years. I'm go to crazy levels to test my water accurately. I know and have records to show parameters have not changed. What did change was my lighting. I added full spectrum LEDS to the tank. Many of the SPS have reacted in great pleasure but so did red slime, cyno.

So, who has used red slime remover?

There are far too many reports of it crashing tanks as it's just a wide spectrum (gram + or -) antibiotic. There are lots and lots of articles on why it kills tanks from the chemical defense some cyno has, to lack of O2 from depletion, to chemical breakdown of the meds, to overdosing.

The bacterial mats need cleaning every two weeks at mots or they start overtaking the fringes of some coral. It's hasn't reduced or increased since the addition of the LEDs. I'm not confidant that after a red slime treatment it won't come back and with all the rick of a crash, not really wanting to jump on board.

Who can help with their own experience?

Thanks for all your input.

#theMatrix

Manual removal worked best for me. I was one of the oes who experienced a mini crash.

And i said id nvr use it again. Still havent. So what worked for me and did not work for madjoe(though he may have dinos) was
Manual removal of what i could syphon and lights out for 4days.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I have cyano in two tanks and going to try Dr. Tim's Waste Away. I read Dr. Tim's Re-fresh is good for cyano too but it may kill snails and shrimps so I am hesistant to try it. There's also the new Vibrant bacteria in a bottle fad spreading all over Reef2Reef. I bought Chemi Clean but decided to try all other methods before using it.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I have cyano in two tanks and going to try Dr. Tim's Waste Away. I read Dr. Tim's Re-fresh is good for cyano too but it may kill snails and shrimps so I am hesistant to try it. There's also the new Vibrant bacteria in a bottle fad spreading all over Reef2Reef. I bought Chemi Clean but decided to try all other methods before using it.
Please let me and he rest of CR know how it goes with your battle. Instead of siphoning, I put a filter sock on my drains and use a powerhead to blow it all off the rocks. Pull the filter sock and cyno an hour later.

jrwoltman

Josh,

When I had the 75, a few years back, I used Chemiclean Red Slime Remover. It worked. None of my livestock were negatively affected. Corals, inverts, fish all fine. If I needed to, I would have no qualms about using it in the Biocube. Good luck!!!

Jim

anarchy

I've used chemiclean. Worked beautifully with no ill effects. May use it again because I've been dealing with the same thing

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

superfish

There was a point my tank is covered with cyano. It was killing my corals, even microalgae couldn't survive because of it.
Early this year I decide to try the Redcyano RX. Followed the instruction, 2 days later all GONE!!! It's been 6 month now, I haven't see cyano in my tank.

Didn't see any effects on my SPS, zoa, LPS and fish. I think it's pretty safe.

It worked great for me.!

madjoe

Premium member
Before treatment id see if its even red slime try to pull some out put in bucket treat the bucket. I had redslime before chemiclean worked great two days gone left in for three days then water change i always leave skimmer going just pull cap off let it over flow or run a air stone . Never lost anything with it i even double dosed last time . This time chemiclean isn't working so im guessing dinos im dosing peroxide now 20ml twice a day double what was recomended so far ive seen no changes what so ever the bigest improvement was from lights out 3 days dam tank looked best it ever did after that except 2 hrs later my dinos came back lol

- - - Updated - - -

Btw seems like everyone is having these issues right now kinda weird how we all have same issue at once maybe salt i use reef crystals

#theMatrix

Im on red sea pro salt.
Maybe its the air exchange or houses being closed in air?
But yea seems like were all getting this at similar times.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Before treatment id see if its even red slime try to pull some out put in bucket treat the bucket. I had redslime before chemiclean worked great two days gone left in for three days then water change i always leave skimmer going just pull cap off let it over flow or run a air stone . Never lost anything with it i even double dosed last time . This time chemiclean isn't working so im guessing dinos im dosing peroxide now 20ml twice a day double what was recomended so far ive seen no changes what so ever the bigest improvement was from lights out 3 days dam tank looked best it ever did after that except 2 hrs later my dinos came back lol

- - - Updated - - -

Btw seems like everyone is having these issues right now kinda weird how we all have same issue at once maybe salt i use reef crystals
Thanks Joe, that didn't even pop into mind. I'll pull out some in a cple weeks and test in a bucket.

Mine started several months ago, the exact same time as the new lights, I'm pretty confidant it's the new spectrum.

jrpark22000

Premium member
You could load up the lights on your sump so alage will grow more in the sump, starve out alage in the display. Manual removal of slime ever 24-48 hours. you can syphon into your filter sock and change out sock at end of removal.

- - - Updated - - -

That works ??
What's the process?
I already have an ATS growing algea like a fool. It's my nitrates and po4 so low I'm having to feed more to keep them high enough. There's not much I can do to outcompete this red snot.

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks Joe, that didn't even pop into mind. I'll pull out some in a cple weeks and test in a bucket.

Mine started several months ago, the exact same time as the new lights, I'm pretty confidant it's the new spectrum.
Mine started months ago too didnt worry to much about it til i found i cant kill the dam thing lol

It's my nitrates and po4 so low I'm having to feed more to keep them high enough.
I wish I had this problem. LOL. Anyway, a lot of people using bacteria additives like Microbacter7 and Waste away have reported positive results with Cyano. Whatever strain of bacteria used by those additives apparently outcompete Cyano.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I wish I had this problem. LOL. Anyway, a lot of people using bacteria additives like Microbacter7 and Waste away have reported positive results with Cyano. Whatever strain of bacteria used by those additives apparently outcompete Cyano.
Nice, another less dangerous thing to try.

Crued

- - - Updated - - -

That works ??
What's the process?

Yes. Ask #thematrix how bad my cyano mat was when he saw it! (it was worse after).

Based on some research some R2R people were doing, and my own trial and error I developed my own program. Now, there is no guy in a white lab coat doing this, so it's sort of a at your own risk thing (however, you can find many positive experiences with peroxide on R2R).

1ml peroxide to 8 gallons of system volume. Add to high-flow area (sump drain) during lights off period. I did 14 days, then WC. Do that 3 times (so basically 21 total days), and then do not dose for 7 days. Repeat. Sounds crazy, but it's the schedule that worked for me. If you are desperate, it might be worth a shot.