red slime remover - help me out

fishtank44

red slime Cyano start in my tank today date no idea what going on? I just added couple fishs in my tank few weeks ago not things else was change in my sytem maybe feed to much?

wrasse

Are any of you red cyano guys using the same chemicals, salt, food, or have a common new element added to tank?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Are any of you red cyano guys using the same chemicals, salt, food, or have a common new element added to tank?
come to think of it, shit, that's the answer!!! We're all using h20. Pull it out and the slime has to stop. :rofl:

in all seriousness, that'd be a long list of stuff to compare.

Panther

I have used the Chemiclean without any negative affects as well, cyano was gone within a few days, I continue to use a half dosage every other month as a maintenance, it's been about 6 months without any issues.

cman

yes, having cyano is no fun at all. I got it 2 months for my tank and below what I did. it seems working for me. now don't see them in a month.

1. remove crushed coral and replace it with live sand. one told me crushed coral blocks the fish waste.
2. add one more powerhead to other end of the tank. point them to the water suface so they meet in the middle of the tank and water bound back and spreadout. This works for my tank. I see movement all places in the tank.
3. move rocks that block the returned box
4. replace the RODI water filter
5. added phosphate reactor
6. change water 2 times a week. after month don't see any cyano. glad that works for me. I didn't use any chemical. Hope this helps.

jrpark22000

Premium member
yes, having cyano is no fun at all. I got it 2 months for my tank and below what I did. it seems working for me. now don't see them in a month.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Hein. It won't help my situation as I'm already doing all that, but maybe it'll helps one of the many others on here having issues.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Maybe it is the H2O:sherlock:
For real.
Maybe The Chicago water has extra :hanky:
Oh chicago is full of extra poop, but that's nothing new. If I wasn't confidant of my rodi system and filter changes I could suspect the incoming water. I watch the tds when making every batch of water and the output tds never gets to 1. TDS at the exit of my rodi membrane is 2, either 0 or 1 after the frst DI canister, always dead zero after the second.

SteveV

I used chemiclean in my 55, worked great. Then I moved everything into my 120 and after about 3 =-4 months it came back. Started a GFO about a week ago. Using phosphate out. Anyone know how long it takes to work? I have been taking out LR every couple days and clean off the red slim with a tooth brush so I don't pollute the tank. I use a 5 stage RO/DI but I seem to always get between 70-100 PP on my TDS-3 meter. Is that my problem?

SteveV

Sorry, want to get feedback before I use the chemiclean.. Would really like to figure out the cause and fix it. All my levels are fine. 20 gallon sump that I have a hard time growing cheto. 2 Protein skimmers and the new GFO I mentioned earlier. The real bummer is I am moving and looking to sell my whole set up and start a new system after the move.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I used chemiclean in my 55, worked great. Then I moved everything into my 120 and after about 3 =-4 months it came back. Started a GFO about a week ago. Using phosphate out. Anyone know how long it takes to work? I have been taking out LR every couple days and clean off the red slim with a tooth brush so I don't pollute the tank. I use a 5 stage RO/DI but I seem to always get between 70-100 PP on my TDS-3 meter. Is that my problem?
GFO can take months or more to get po4 down to a low level depending on how much may be stuck to your rocks.

70-100 ppm TDS? Where are you measuring this? The output of your rodi should be 0, preferably under 3ppm. My incoming water (lake michigan) is about 160ppm.

SteveV

My faucet water is testing about 250 so the filter is lowering it greater than half. I have a pure water 5 stage filter. Even when it was new I could only get it down to 50PP Wonder if my meter is crap? THANKS for the help!

SteveV

Sorry, gave you bad info.. Out of faucet I am getting same as yours. 145-150. I will hook up the filter and see what I get. Stay tuned!

SteveV

I'm getting 105, so now do I change out the filters or look for a better unit? I do not recall ever getting close to zero..
What do you think?

jrpark22000

Premium member
I'm getting 105, so now do I change out the filters or look for a better unit? I do not recall ever getting close to zero..
What do you think?
Every ppm above zero is some chemical element or compound you're adding to the tank. Liekly it's something cyno or other pests will feed on. Gettign your TDS down will only helpmake the reef easier to keep. Your membranes should be taking most of the ppm out of the water. I'd suspect your cabron block may have been exhausted and let chlorine past to your membrane. Chlorine kills membranes quickly.