Repair bad silicon section

CienFuegos

Premium member
I noticed a small portion of silicon was bad on the tank I had just disinfected and cleaned with vinegar. The silicon that I'm going to be repairing is about two and half inches long and will need the following.

Razor bands
Rubbing Alcohol
100% Silicon (I will be using DAP Clear All-Purpose 100% Silicone Sealant - 2.8 oz)

Last edited:
Let us know how it turns out. Im gonna be doing some silicone work here shortly myself. Gotta research which kind to get, I always forget.

CienFuegos

Premium member
So before I go all out and remove all of the seals, I have use the silicon in the area that is with in the green tape. The top I went as high as I could before you would see the reseal from the outside. I went about four inches to the left of were the the bad portion starts to all of the way to the right. I also went two inches from the edge of the tank towards the middle of the tank.

I'll let this cute for two days and then do a water test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
The only problem you may have is silicone doesn't adhere to silicone that has previously dried. I speak from experience refinishing bathrooms but my guess is the same for tanks as well. Do you foresee this being a concern?

MMreef

Hope this works for you,but like the post above silicone does not stick well to old silicone, you will have 2 week points from what I can see. You should have clean carefully all silicone seal from inside, without cutting between glass panels, then lay one continuous bead of silicone to around old seal , this way your chances of not leaking would be much higher. As for silicone itself the only one I would use is RTV 100 series, that is superior in strength and adhesion to others. The one you used is very weak and not to be trusted to hold water in aquarium. How big was the tank you fixed?, any more then few gallons I would be worried. I do have some experience having fix my rimless 127 gal. tank that is holding strong almost 4 years now.

I just scraped all the silicone out of the sump I am building and used GE clear silicone 1 to resilicone. Let cure completely for about four days and did a water test. Held with no leaks, just emptied the tank today and will be adding baffles shortly. I did some research on the dap clear all purpose but found some people saying it didn't hold well and from what I read the GE silicone 1 and the RTV 100 (like the above post says) works the best.