resealing tank

possibly a stupid question but do i have to remove the old silicone befor i put the new stuff on? or can i just add an extra layer of protection?

Triggerdood

Yes, You have to remove the old with a razor blade. Be careful not to cut into the seam. You then need to clean the surface with rubbing alcohol. Tape it off for a nice straight line and begin to reseal.

BADGUS

It might compromise the structural integrity of the tank,just cut away the excess silicone and add the new stuff.how big a tank?

Navycook2

for my sump i made a couple inch cut nice a square chunks out of the bottom silicone to the glass in a couple spots it held really nice!

BADGUS

Since it's a taller tank,you wanna do a good job on it.Do you have the silicone already?Let us know how it goes.

BADGUS

Well yeah,but on small tanks,you can just add another heavy bead on top of old silicone and you're good.I did that on my top-off tank(20H) about 6years ago and it still never leaks.

no i dont have the silicone yet. any suggestions on brand or where to buy around midway. ford city petsmart doesnt have any. anyone wanna do it for me(experience a must), for $ of course

FishBeard

no i dont have the silicone yet. any suggestions on brand or where to buy around midway. ford city petsmart doesnt have any. anyone wanna do it for me(experience a must), for $ of course
Hardware store, DAP brand 100% silicone, no additives. About $4 per tube, plus a couple bucks if you need a cheap caulk gun.

got guns. i might even have some of that DAP, i thought it was "special" aquarium silicone.

one more question- looks like the bottom was recently re-sealed, is it ok to just redo the vertical corners?

SkullV

For sealing the inside of the tank I would get the All Glass brand stuff. The other stuff is technically reef safe but can discolor over time (I have seen it with DAP and GE1).

Captmrbles

HD or similar stores have nice kits that help remove the old silicone for like 10 bucks that will seriously streamline the process. Also can use GE silicone II (or any other silicone w/o mildew resistance) instead of expensive stuff that says aquarium silicone on it, found at your local HD.

Captmrbles

er I think it is GE silicone II, do yourself a favor and pick up the tube while in the store and call the number on the back (like I did) and ask if the product has mildew resistance before buying it.