(RFG) Random Flow Generator loc line nozzles

Nanologist

Would these be better than a spin stream? I just put a spin stream on my red sea max and I'm loving it. I'm about to start a 60 gallon frag tank build so maybe I'll use these.
They both create random flow, albeit a different type of flow generated by each, but the main difference is that the RFG has no moving parts. Therefor, it doesn't require much maintenance and there's very little chance of failure. Also, without moving parts there's no risk of creatures getting caught in it.

VCA makes 2" RFGs now for large tanks with PVC input. As mentioned, in large tanks there's still a need for powerheads/wave makers but they still improve the water distribution from any sump/refugium/reactor so I'm a fan of them in nano or large tanks.

I also use one in my IM10 with an MJ400 return as the only flow in my tank.

Last edited:

Coral Man

Premium member
I know there’s a lot of skepticism, based on the “wonderful” educators, this this is a whole new ball game, you won’t see it’s value til you actually see it in action in your own tank. Man vca should hire me! ��

Nanologist

Compared to the standard nozzle that comes on most AIO tanks it's a night and day difference. Excuse the poor resolution but here's a slo-mo video I made awhile ago when I first installed it:
[video=youtube;mIGR3r5GyAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIGR3r5GyAQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You can see the random pulsing of the waves pretty well though. A huge difference compared to the one directional flow of a standard nozzle, especially in nano tanks relying on the return as the only flow in the tank, but they're still useful in large applications imo.