Sawdonkey's 220 Thread

Sawdonkey

Premium member
can you get a large tub to put everything in? then you might be able to keep the rockwork together.
The rockwork won’t even come out of the tank without taking it apart.

Ive their about a tub, but worry about how to light it. I still have some pretty large Acro colonies. I’m worried that this is whole process is going to do these acros in.

Would you guys attempt to move these colonies around or try to sell them and basically start over with acros?

GugsJr

TeamCR
The rockwork won’t even come out of the tank without taking it apart.

Ive their about a tub, but worry about how to light it. I still have some pretty large Acro colonies. I’m worried that this is whole process is going to do these acros in.

Would you guys attempt to move these colonies around or try to sell them and basically start over with acros?
You need to ask yourself do you want to start over? That's a lot of work but it does give you other options.

If it were me and I could move them over i would.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Youd likely be using the same water and the move is so short youd think the stress would be minimal. I've debated with myself if i were to move would i get rid of the SPS or try to move them. Still on the fence on that but in your case seems like not a big deal since going from one room to another. you can use pvc and make a cheap light bar and hang the lights from that.

bryman

I'd break apart the rock structure and put it in brute cans with powerhead and heater, and put a cheap clamp-on light with a timer on each. I'd measure PAR at your existing tank where your colonies are, and try to replicate it in a Rubbermaid tub or container with your skimmer, powerheads, heater, and light hung over it with a simple 2x4 structure. I'd run some carbon in a bag and try to rig up a simple ATO and doser depending on how long they will be in there. And I'd test parameters frequently and do 2x 10-20% water changes the first week on the tub with your corals.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'd break apart the rock structure and put it in brute cans with powerhead and heater, and put a cheap clamp-on light with a timer on each. I'd measure PAR at your existing tank where your colonies are, and try to replicate it in a Rubbermaid tub or container with your skimmer, powerheads, heater, and light hung over it with a simple 2x4 structure. I'd run some carbon in a bag and try to rig up a simple ATO and doser depending on how long they will be in there. And I'd test parameters frequently and do 2x 10-20% water changes the first week on the tub with your corals.
I’ll be back in about one month. Condo renovations are wrapping up and then the rebuild starts!

Fish_wiz2

Well, the time has come. This weekend, I will take my tank down and move it to my back bedroom while the rest of my condo is renovated. I’m not exactly sure how I’ll pull this off and I’m REALLY not looking forward to this. My rock work is all epoxied together and has SPS encrusted all over it. For fish, I only have my two triggers left.

Any thoughts on how you guys would handle this?
If you have enough man power and containers to hold all the water, my pick would be a quick drain and move the tank in it's entirely. Don't even bother touching the rock or corals just get the fish out since the distance is so short. But I emphasize man power, you will need at least 6 strong people, 8 is better. I've manned a 220 dry with 4 people and it was fairly smooth, with rock and sand I'd say 8 is the right number. Then when it's moved and filled, skim wet and runs lots of carbon plus get ready for a water change.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
If you have enough man power and containers to hold all the water, my pick would be a quick drain and move the tank in it's entirely. Don't even bother touching the rock or corals just get the fish out since the distance is so short. But I emphasize man power, you will need at least 6 strong people, 8 is better. I've manned a 220 dry with 4 people and it was fairly smooth, with rock and sand I'd say 8 is the right number. Then when it's moved and filled, skim wet and runs lots of carbon plus get ready for a water change.
Thanks, but that part was done a few months ago. But....it was pretty difficult.