screen top

SkunkerX

Who here on the south side has built a screen top for their tank.

I was looking at some fish and the ones I liked are jumpers so

I want to take care of that before I get them.

sparky5785

I have its pretty easy. I'm probably not what you would call southside but I work around oak forest and I'm always willing to help it I can.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

rosko23

I have. Very easy. I've built a couple. U can buy the screen kits anywhere just use mesh from either goat or Brs

SkunkerX

Well what materials would I need for a project like this?

And I'm guessing I should be able to get the supplys

and Menards, Home Depot or Lowes?

rosko23

Well what materials would I need for a project like this?

And I'm guessing I should be able to get the supplys

and Menards, Home Depot or Lowes?
I just buy the screen kit at like hd or lowes... It has everything minus screen. Then just buy screen from Brs or goat here... U need the rails, corners and spleen. And roller to put spleen in rails. Very easy. Use hacksaw to cut or any saw for rails

Herbie

Banned
i just built one. Goat585 can get you a great deal on the mesh and you can get the rails, spline and corners on BRS or at your local hardwre. It was amazingly easy. measure the exact perimiter you want and the cut the rails (taking into consideration the distance of the corner pieces themselves) using a hacksaw blade or dremel. Use a rubber mallet to seat everything together. then lay the mesh over it and work the spline in around the edges keeping the mesh ticght and square. You can get a little pizza wheel tool to make that really easy, but a spoon or something would work too. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast and easy it was. Measure twice and cut once for sure though. Good luck and let us know how you do!

sparky5785

I just buy the screen kit at like hd or lowes... It has everything minus screen. Then just buy screen from Brs or goat here... U need the rails, corners and spleen. And roller to put spleen in rails. Very easy. Use hacksaw to cut or any saw for rails
Jorge is on top of it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Saledo

Steve I have extra mesh I used for my tops if you want, let me know the size you need and Ill see what I have left

SkunkerX

And it looks like BRS wants 36.99 for a 3 foot section so 73.98 plus 11.64 shipping

but i need more than just the 4 corner square I need to go around the overflow

on 1 side and return on the other side. So with the extra corners I'm looking

at over $100 for everything, guess I'll have to wait even longer for that fish

I wanted. LOL Unless I can get a better price from every ones leftovers here

that built one.

Herbie

Banned
BRS might be more on that stuff. I haven't looks at a local Hardware store, but an ACE or somthing might be less expensive.

Saledo

And it looks like BRS wants 36.99 for a 3 foot section so 73.98 plus 11.64 shipping

that built one.
I got my rails at the Home Depot in Homer and it was way cheaper than that for more than 3 feet. check around... Ill measure out the screen I have in a few minutes

rosko23

that built one.
Don't buy rails at Brs. Goto menards. U can make it right there. They have a little table and what not. I paid like $20 or something for my 48" by 30". For everything

SkunkerX

Don't buy rails at Brs. Goto menards. U can make it right there. They have a little table and what not. I paid like $20 or something for my 48" by 30". For everything
What department is that in so I dont get lost and give up.

goat585

Administrator
You should be able to make one for far cheaper than bulk reef supply. At lowes the framing is around $4 for a 7 ft piece. you will need three. two packages of corners are $3 total and the cording is $5. Total should be about $20. I sell the mesh or bulkreefsupply does. The mesh from me shipped to you is a total of $10 shipped to your door. You should be able to make both your tops for around $30.

At either Menards or Lowes the supplies are with the window screening materials. As for replacement window screen material and you will find framing. If you have any other questions let me know

Smitty

Premium member
Hey Steve...I made one for my tank also and I still have a rail and some of the black twine to hold it in place. You can also borrow my hacksaw if you don't have one. I can bring it by tomorrow or you can stop by before you go to the hardware store.