screen top

SkunkerX

Cool I have many hacksaws now blades are another thing lol but ya I could stop by there before

I go to the store and I think there's a home depot and menards on the way home so I'll let you

know before I head out. What time is cool with you so I can plan accordingly. LOL

Smitty

Premium member
I think I have an extra blade too. And I'm pretty much home all day tomorrow with the boys, so let me know what's good for you.

SkunkerX

Well just got back from the store before realizing I forgot jigsaw blades guess I'm just going to have to do it

the old fashioned way and use the hacksaw. But I now have everything I need except the screen for the top.

PM heading your way Goat.

Herbie

Banned
Well just got back from the store before realizing I forgot jigsaw blades guess I'm just going to have to do it

the old fashioned way and use the hacksaw. But I now have everything I need except the screen for the top.

PM heading your way Goat.
It cuts like butter with a hacksaw. I just used the blade by itself. You can cut it just on the draw even.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SkunkerX

Ya I already cut the pieces smitty gave me yesterday and they do

cut like butter well frozen butter anyways but I'm just lazy

and wanted to do it the easy way. LOL I'm also going to be putting

a feeding tube of sorts into the return line to make it easier to feed

with the tops on.

Skimmo

I wanted to avoid any metal framing on the screens I built for my 55G so I'll share my cheap method. I'll post a pic of mine when I get back home later today.

I used the BRS 1/4" Mesh, 12 lb. fishing line and 1/4" square section wood dowels. I also used cut-down wood coffee stirrers to brace the butt joints and glued the assembly with Elmers white glue. I drilled 1/64" holes in the frame at 1/2" intervals, then sewed the screen onto the frame with the fishing line. The frame started out flimsy, but once I spread out the tension evenly along the screen it became pretty rigid. The frame did warp after a while due to moisture. A coat of resin would probably make the frame stay straight and stiff.

The good old Elmers glue on the dowel joints showed no sign of failure.

rosko23

I wanted to avoid any metal framing on the screens I built for my 55G so I'll share my cheap method. I'll post a pic of mine when I get back home later today.

I used the BRS 1/4" Mesh, 12 lb. fishing line and 1/4" square section wood dowels. I also used cut-down wood coffee stirrers to brace the butt joints and glued the assembly with Elmers white glue. I drilled 1/64" holes in the frame at 1/2" intervals, then sewed the screen onto the frame with the fishing line. The frame started out flimsy, but once I spread out the tension evenly along the screen it became pretty rigid. The frame did warp after a while due to moisture. A coat of resin would probably make the frame stay straight and stiff.

The good old Elmers glue on the dowel joints showed no sign of failure.
Wayyyyy to much work! Lol but whatever works!

SkunkerX

Ya besides I already have every thing and have one side made up already

and whats wrong with the aluminum framing? Will salt water eventually destroy

it?

Herbie

Banned
Ya besides I already have every thing and have one side made up already

and whats wrong with the aluminum framing? Will salt water eventually destroy

it?
No aluminum won't react. Not sure why you would avoid it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Smitty

Premium member
I've been using the aluminum frame for about a year, and you seen that mine was still intact and not corroded.