Scuba cert

Greg

So I really need to get open water certified. Anyone know of any deals?
I do not want to pay 500...
I need the gear also.

Joe5688

I'm interested in it as well. My gf always sends me Groupons for diff scuba things but according to the pro divers on the forums it's nothing worth going to. I've done it in a pool and it was fun but i'd like to go out and go scuba diving on my next vacay.

Greg

Yah, I need the full cert. I should have taken advantage of the groupon/livingsocial ones but couldnt at the time.

fwadiver

only shop i have experience with is dive right in scuba in plainfield, they are a top notch outfit and because they are one of the top internet sellers they can match or beat everyone elses price on gear easily. I think open water is $375, what gear were you looking to buy? just basic mask/fins snorkel? in which case i would recommend spending some money on a good mask with a black skirt, get the cheapest snorkel possible unless you like snorkeling too, you will never use it except for classes otherwise (i carry a roll up snorkel to meet standards when in classes) and i wouldn't buy fins right away unless you know what u want.

fwadiver

no experience with them but beware of add ons, at DRIS the $375 covers Books, Classes, Training, All Dives, Equipment, and Certification Card, the low ball places might just quote that for class but then charge u extra for the books, equipment rentals, and it adds up to about the same(padi you have to buy a book for each diver, if you were doing the class as a couple for instance you would have to buy 2 books and 2 dvds instead of sharing), make sure to look into that to see what it will really costs. I was helping run a dive shop while i was unemployed (owned by one of my best friends) so I know the tricks you do with groupon to make sure you make your money.

some of those have things like this :"Equipment not included for open-water dive, equipment only included for in-pool dive."

in the fine print which means it will be more $$ just make sure to try and get the full story.

Greg

WHAT?!?
That's ridiculous...

What about the Learn Scuba Chicago place. Its by far the cheapest at 139 for full cert.

"PADI certification courses include fundamentals of diving theory, three pool dives at varying Chicago locations with most equipment included, a day at the dive park in Kankakee's Haigh Quarry for two open-water check-out dives, with most equipment included, and PADI scuba-certification. The only pieces of equipment that aren’t provided are masks, fins, and snorkels, which students can purchase directly from Learn Scuba Chicago. Students should contact the shop by email or phone to schedule a time to pick up material and complete paperwork. Participants must register at one of the pools to obtain course materials and complete paperwork."

"The Fine Print
Expires 120 days after purchase.
Limit 1 per person, may buy 2 additional as gifts. Valid only for option purchased. Reservation required. Must sign waiver. Certification students are required to have their own mask, fins and snorkels (available for purchase). The rest of the gear and equipment will be provided. Students should contact the shop, by email or phone, to schedule a time to pick up material and complete paperwork. All services must be used by the same person."

DD

"Rambo"
WHAT?!?
That's ridiculous...

What about the Learn Scuba Chicago place. Its by far the cheapest at 139 for full cert.

"PADI certification courses include fundamentals of diving theory, three pool dives at varying Chicago locations with most equipment included, a day at the dive park in Kankakee's Haigh Quarry for two open-water check-out dives, with most equipment included, and PADI scuba-certification. The only pieces of equipment that aren’t provided are masks, fins, and snorkels, which students can purchase directly from Learn Scuba Chicago. Students should contact the shop by email or phone to schedule a time to pick up material and complete paperwork. Participants must register at one of the pools to obtain course materials and complete paperwork."
That's not too bad. If you go with them, keep us posted because I am kind of interested in getting certified as well.

fwadiver

that sounds good, the extras there will be the $20 per day quarry entry fee and probably have to pay for any airfills at the quarry (that will be the same with any shop though). the only thing that sounds off is the 2 open water dives, an open water course should be 4 dives over min of 2 days (cannot do more than 3 training dives per day). the 2 dive course is probably the 'scuba diver course' which is limited in what you are certified to do. That is the only thing I would double check. If you wanted full open water i would be wary of the 'scuba diver course' since it requires you to have a DM with you and limits you to no more than 30FT on any vacation dives u would do.

Greg

Where does it say 'scuba diver course' ?
I only see PADI scuba-certification. That's what I want, right?

I read the questions, and its 200$ extra to get open water certified.

Turns out they all charge around the same, 230-260 for full open water.

fwadiver

yeah, padi is the only cert body that does the 'scuba diver' course. Its essentially a short course that limits you more than a traditional open water course. What you want is a full open water course, which is sounds like is $200 extra making the total $339?

fwadiver

here is the padi faq about the scuba diver course:

The PADI scuba diver course is a subcourse within the Open Water Diver course. It opens diving to those individuals with time constraints, and those interested in diving in groups and tours guided by a certified dive master, assistant instructor, or instructor. PADI Scuba Divers may upgrade to PADI Open Water Divers by completing the knowledge development sessions and required confined and open water dives.

PADI Open Water Divers are qualified to dive with a buddy independent of supervision, while applying the knowledge and skills they learn in this course, and within the limits of their training and experience. They may obtain air fills, plan, conduct and log open water no-stop dives, and continue their dive training in the PADI Adventure Diver and Advanced Open Water or other specialty courses.

jklyczek

I would look into this a little more. There is a difference between PADI cert and open water cert. This "Captain Bob" looks to be misleading you a little bit. It takes 4 open water dived for the full cert and it is only offering 2. If I remember correctly it is 5 pool dives and this one is offering 3.

This course will get you about half way. "Captain Bob" is going to charge you a few hundred more to get your open water cert which is on par with everyone else. Give him a call and let us know.

jklyczek

I would recommend getting the open water, I have never heard of anyone that actually dives getting just the padi cert.

fwadiver

if you do advanced make sure your instructor actually takes you deep, I know plenty of people that get it and their deep dive was only to 70', if you are going to be certified to 130' you should get at least one dive below 100' as part of the training.

Greg

Im registered for july 6 class at gotairscuba. There was only 2 apots left, now one. They were the second cheapest, but the other one (villapark) didnt have openings until the 20th. Other places were backed up until August. Gotair was second cheapest, only 20$ more but comes with 25$ store credit.

Ill probably get advanced through villapark right after because they go to a different location.