Scuba cert

Joe5688

How is the pressure 30' down? I noticed when i jump into deep (10') pools i feel it in my ears. Is it uncomfortable?

fwadiver

How is the pressure 30' down? I noticed when i jump into deep (10') pools i feel it in my ears. Is it uncomfortable?
you equalize your ears on scuba. so you dont get the pressure. ie. the air u are breathing is the same pressure as the ambient water, and by doing the valvasalva u force equalizing pressure thru the Eustachian tubes

jrwoltman

My advice to all of you is to what I did way back when in '94. Take all of your classes here, in Chicagoland, then go someplace warm like FL, Mexico, or the Caribbean, for your openwater certification dives. I mean, who the hell wants to dive in a quarry, anyway?

fwadiver

awesome, i do love quarry fish, though they tend to get fat and diseased with no predators, you should see them follow you around if you go diving in the middle of the winter, since there are no divers to feed them typically you will have a school following you everywhere. Paddlefish are awesome, though very shy, i've only been able to get close to one once. the trick with paddle fish is since they are a river fish they stay relatively shallow over the deeper parts of the quarry, if you get about 30 ft deep and head over the deep part maintaining depth and look up you can usually see them.

jrwoltman

Actually the quarry was a blast. I want to go again and go to other quarries. The bluegills are super friendly and sit literally 1" in front of your mask and chill there, occasionally pecking at your mask. When you move from platform to platform, the fish that chilled by you on the platform ride your slipstream right behind you and follow you around. Visibility is good enough (best in the spring), and its incredibly safe for new divers since there are no currents, completely enclosed body of water, and everything is mostly around 30-60ft. Its only 20$ for an entire day and you get to put in a whole lot of practice. Theres a bunch of interesting things that have been sunk to see down there and the fish like to hang out by the wrecks. One quarry even has a sunk Boeing 737. Even being able to dive a 80ft quarry wall is cool to me. Sure it isn't a reef, but its 20$!
I cant wait to buy my gear and head out to other quarries (and Florida). The gear I need to buy is 3k, so I have a bit more saving to do. :)
Great pics, but all I can say to lake and quarry diving is BRRRRRRR!!!!!!:scared: