Shovelman's little slice of terror!

Shovelman

That's right folks! Filled with the nightmares and demons of the reefing hobby, my 3gallon mantis shrimp/pest tank shall shine a different kind of light on some of the taboo animals we cut, nuke, and even hire animals to ingest in means to terminate these pests/unwanted guests! This is.... (dramatic pause for effect) dun dun dun....

The 3g Pico from Hell!

specifics.

* 3gallon something or another tank from Adogg (thanks man, hope the fuzzy lion continues to grow for you and do well!)

-9 watt 50/50 pc light that came with adogg's jbj pico. (would like to upgrade....ideas?)
aqueon 20gallon hob filter

-10 watt heater.

-probably 5lbs of live rock from my preexisting set up plus 3lbs of rock i picked up today.

-fiji pink sand, and a poop ton of rubble. Plus pvc burrow i hope the little guy will move into

so here are some crappy pics.... of the process!

scrubbing stuff off Live rock I picked up
View attachment 9963

the tank sitting on the floor
View attachment 9964

raising the pvc burrow to where it was needed
View attachment 9965

putting in the sand and the start of what took me 3 hours to finally say " ok, this is a cool scape"
View attachment 9966

Since im putting the heater in the hob filter, i still wanted something to take out larger particles of debris i cut out some larger foam brick to fit the little corner
View attachment 9967
View attachment 9968
My other tank already has a latent infection of these micro brittles...
View attachment 9969
cleaning up the water, and tank as we speak will have much clearer pics of the scape and the inhabitants already within.
View attachment 9970

Shovelman

If I could find any....

Going to try and purposefully buy aptasia, and majano nems.

Also need some xenia, and will be adding more of my gsp, which will hopefully start carpeting everything.

Might just end up being cheap paly zoa throw it in and grow sort of tank...

Triggerdood

Pom pom. Yeah, that's the one. It is not dimmable, and needs to be put on a timer unless you don't mind unplugging and plugging it in. For $40, I'm pretty pleased with it.

m.miller1547

I have macros for ya. Dragons breath and red grape calupra. Free... I have free xenia a mushroom and gsp frags as well. Par bulb may be too much. I'd keep that fixture and get a small aluminum bar to fit inside and add 4-6 LEDs. Keep it soft. It's a really nice little setup. That lil monsters gonna be happy.

polskiaudi

nice setup. you could give those gu10 bulbs that have 3 1watt leds or 3 3watt leds. i think i seen some on amazon for $6-10
i have a small cabbage leather frag that would look nice in the tank if you want it.

Shovelman

wow thanks guys! I appreciate your offers! Ill pm you...only difficulty is i dont often go or am able to go out of the cary/crystal lake/hoffman estates/ barrington area. And yeah Ive looked into the gu10s before just always intimidated by the whole diy aspect.... might stick with what adogg has

Shovelman

lucky stop at a lfs as it was a hitch hiker from some lr. Once i get the 4breeder up ill put an add up gauging interests in the smaller species of mantis for you all as fuge monsters.

Shovelman

the motor on the hob filter stopped so i had to switch it out, while switching it out i knocked everything over so made a new aquascape.. lots of ledges to showcase certain corals / algae (none of which i have acquired yet)
crappy pic, was still cleaning up water spots but you get the idea..View attachment 10020