SkullV's Aquarium Adventures

SkullV

Hoping to build the canopy/base for my sump today. Should be a pretty neat design hiding everything but the frag rack and fuge areas. Will be great for the noise level and the light spill when the fuge light is on. My brightwell carbon dosing stuff was also delivered today. Just not too sure whether I'm going to be able to get it or not since the office of my building is closed. Not sure who signed for it, but the UPS slip says "Office".

Chipster67

Ted whatcha going to dose? Vodka? Vinegar? Vit C? Maybe Tequila lol lol lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SkullV

Ted whatcha going to dose? Vodka? Vinegar? Vit C? Maybe Tequila lol lol lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I'm actually going with Brightwell Reef Biofuel and Microbacter7. The tank is so small that dosing anything concentrated like vodka or vinegar would be difficult. Brightwell is easy and pretty inexpensive for a tank this size.

SkullV

Did a little work in the sump today. Flipped around the skimmer and added a 75w instead of 50w (thought I already had 75w....nope) Jager heater. I'll use the 50w to heat up water change water now. This also required me to cut new acrylic tops for the skimmer and fuge sections which look MUCH nicer than the last ones. Here is the current sump FTS:

Also swapped the red LED in my front Par30 out for royal blue (thanks Jigga). The one violet LED does a perfectly fine job with the red spectrum. Also added some reflectors to my Ecoxotic Stunner Strips (thanks Issac) and it made a ton of difference. With the reflectors there is almost no light spillage and the brightness of the blue light in the tank is fantastic. Hopefully Tuesday night after meeting up with Mai I'll also have a moonlight dead center. Here is the new shot of the lights:

Also went ahead and hooked my RODI back up so I can make my own water and slim can be happy. Really, this is just another addition to my laziness. I found a nice narrow cylinder holding tank for the water and will be able to keep around 55g of mixed saltwater on hand. That means no more trips out to get water and probably only have to make water like once every couple months. I have always run the Mighty Mite from Air, Water & Ice (great sponsor!). It's only a 50gpd but the positive side is the water coming out of the membrane is always cleaner than a 75/100/125/150 GPD which keeps the DI lasting longer. This little guy has been in storage for over a year, I went and got a saddle valve for under my sink, hooked it up, flushed the membrane for about 40 min, and bam, 0TDS water. Still planning to replace the filters, but obviously have to wait for the Air, Water & Ice giveaway to see if I have to pay for it or not. In the mean time, I'll be happy with the 0TDS I'm getting:

Lastly, just a candid of the cow cat trying to catch the clowns as usual. He's been trying to catch these guys for years. Was more into the bi-color angel from my NanoCube but he's cool with these guys too:

mikenh77

Ha. Was I the only one who thought the TDS meter was a pregnancy test at first? I was so confused. Great setup, I wanna see what it looks like when the zoas grow in!

SkullV

Ha. Was I the only one who thought the TDS meter was a pregnancy test at first? I was so confused. Great setup, I wanna see what it looks like when the zoas grow in!
Haha, that would be one hell of a pregnancy test! I can't wait until they grow in either. The only ones that are still only one polyp are the Red Hornet (has been one polyp forever) and the Blue Agave (just got it as a single) but it looks like the agave is about ready to throw off three at the same time.

SkullV

Did a nice sized water change and then added the first doses of BioFuel and Microbacter7 just now. Skimmer off for 4 hours and then we'll see how this goes! Will post some new FTS tonight as well so we can track the progress on the algae bloom rock.

SkullV

Now that I started "carbon dosing" I wanted to get a few FTS so I can track the progress.

Right now we are still at embarrassing diatom bloom status and a crappy point and shoot camera:

Also took a couple pictures of the pistol shrimp I'm trading to Mai. Old Town had it listed as a "Tiger Pistol" and it looked exactly like the Tiger Pistol on LiveAquaria in their tank. For some reason in my tank it looks like this:

SkullV

Met up with Mai today to trade the pistol shrimp for a couple turbo snails and a couple LEDs to make my moonlight.

Went ahead and used:

• 2" wide flat aluminum
  • 1x 3w Royal Blue LED
  • 1x Optic (I believe it is a 60*)
  • 1x 9v Cell Phone Charger
  • Thermal Compound
  • Krylon Fusion Paint

I think it came out pretty well! I have it so it just sits on top of the Stunner Strips so I can move it back and forth to change the "moon" position if I want. The beam may be a little narrow, but I kind of like the single ray of light through the tank. What do you think?

SkullV

Yet another update. Hopefully the second to last major "build" task before I can just watch my fish and coral grow (yeah right..). Went ahead and got a real stand for the 10g sump and cleaned up/pained my plumbing. Also went through and orgainzed my wiring. Now I just need to borrow a windows laptop so I can rename all of the PC4 outlets in my Reefkeeper Lite.

Before:

After:

All that is left now is to build the canopy for the sump and skin the sump so all that is visible from the outside is the fuge and the frag rack.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I'm actually going with Brightwell Reef Biofuel and Microbacter7. The tank is so small that dosing anything concentrated like vodka or vinegar would be difficult. Brightwell is easy and pretty inexpensive for a tank this size.
I've been using the Red Sea No-Pox for a couple months and I like it. As you said early, it's pretty much a diluted and idiot proof solution.

SkullV

I've been using the Red Sea No-Pox for a couple months and I like it. As you said early, it's pretty much a diluted and idiot proof solution.
Hmm, I may have to try that out when the Brightwell runs out. I will say that after only a couple days of using this stuff all the algae is almost gone! I think I may switch to dosing every other day instead of daily. Not sure yet though.

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
SkullV, is that a RBTA or a Sunburst Bubble Tip you have? I thought about removing the wall in my NUVO 24 and drilling it, haven't seen anyone do it as of yet.

SkullV

SkullV, is that a RBTA or a Sunburst Bubble Tip you have? I thought about removing the wall in my NUVO 24 and drilling it, haven't seen anyone do it as of yet.
I believe it is an RBTA, but a Sunburst is just an RBTA as well, just a different morph. It is still too bleached right now to really tell what color it is going to come out as. I used to remove the false wall from NanoCubes and drill them all the time. That was before cost effective Cube tanks were available though. I would just buy a Mr. Aqua or something like that if you plan to drill it.