SkullV's Aquarium Adventures

Spartanman22

I'm curious to see how this salt works for you. I've always used reef crystals because it's cheap, but I've read some good things about aqua forest products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkullV

I'm curious to see how this salt works for you. I've always used reef crystals because it's cheap, but I've read some good things about aqua forest products.

I'll definitely keep you posted, I like IO (and RC) but I just hate how high the Alk is. I keep my Alk pretty low, so a 15% WC at 11 dkH messes up the dosing for that day and sometimes a day after.

Spartanman22

I'll definitely keep you posted, I like IO (and RC) but I just hate how high the Alk is. I keep my Alk pretty low, so a 15% WC at 11 dkH messes up the dosing for that day and sometimes a day after.
I hear you, I run all at about 6.7-7.0, but I would only do about 3-5% water changes every month or so. So it wasn't much of an issue for me.

Have you given any of their other products any thoughts? My new setup is strictly SPS. In the past I've always ran mixed reefs with an emphasis on SPS. So, I've never really attacked the SPS color schemes due to it not jiving well with softies and LPS.

SkullV

I hear you, I run all at about 6.7-7.0, but I would only do about 3-5% water changes every month or so. So it wasn't much of an issue for me.

Have you given any of their other products any thoughts? My new setup is strictly SPS. In the past I've always ran mixed reefs with an emphasis on SPS. So, I've never really attacked the SPS color schemes due to it not jiving well with softies and LPS.

I'm currently running Coral V, starting Coral E on Friday, and will start using their aminos when I run out of acropower. I'll probably start using their Cora food when I run out of Coral frenzy as well.

SkullV

Went ahead and did a nice 30% water change with the new salt. Will do another two 30% changes over the next week to sort of "re-boot" the tank with all of aqua forests trace elements as well.

SkullV

Finally did a full battery of tests (well mostly full) today and came up with the following:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: (see below)
Phosphate: (see below)
Calcium: 440ppm
Alkalinity: 8.6dkH
Magnesium: 1500ppm (slowly coming down with water changes over time from 1800+)

Here is where the results are somewhat perplexing. I have absolutely zero nuisance algae in my tank, coral color is great, I feed VERY heavy, and this is what I have for nitrate and phosphate:

If I had to guess my nitrate is actually lower (running biopellets and 2L Matrix) based on this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2480664

I'm going to stop by the LFS today and use one of their test kits to compare.

Also added a couple new "frags" from a local guy.

HUGE chunk of Strawberry Shortcake. This is actually 5 pieces glued back together and glued to the rock. His colony is so huge and the table is so tight that it was impossible to just get a single frag. This is about 10 minutes after being glued and placed in the tank:

Guaranteed real ORA Pearlberry. It does look different than my other ORA pearlberry (I believe Sahin mentioned this) but the other one had pretty good proof of lineage so who knows. I'm just going to keep both and see what happens with the color on the new one.

rockhead

Very nice , looking good buddy, don't let one of those chunks of ssc fall off I may be knocking at your door