SkullV's Aquarium Adventures

SkullV

Just finished up with the stand. Drilled the holes to pass the plumbing through. Can't decide if I want to paint the plumbing black or aluminum metallic with krylon fusion. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

tinman

Just finished up with the stand. Drilled the holes to pass the plumbing through. Can't decide if I want to paint the plumbing black or aluminum metallic with krylon fusion. Any thoughts?

Looking nice dood

What stand is it by the way??

Jep21

looking awesome tend. I would paint the plumbing black bro.. and if ur other place allows it do like a floating canopy.. that would be badazz

SkullV

looking awesome tend. I would paint the plumbing black bro.. and if ur other place allows it do like a floating canopy.. that would be badazz
I was thinking about a floating canopy and a DIY LED. The company that makes this stand makes a matching canopy for $40.

Jep21

I was thinking about a floating canopy and a DIY LED. The company that makes this stand makes a matching canopy for $40.
U should deff do it bro.. U already have the drivers for a diy led :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkullV

U should deff do it bro.. U already have the drivers for a diy led :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, yeah, but if I did it I would go with a 100% solderless kit from RapidLED or maybe ReefLEDlights (I wish Bill had the same type of solderless and heatsinks that rapid does!). I'm thinking about a 6"x10" heatsink drilled and tapped for the following:

The numbers 1 or 2 designate what driver string they will be on. The other number is the optic. I'm a little worried that it will be too blue, but it does match the lights I'm running now pretty well. I may just do away with all of the normal Blue LEDs and just keep the royal blues though.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I have a Spec V too and worried it would be too small for a firefish...and here you are with 3+ fish in yours =P. Guess I will be getting a firefish down the road.

SkullV

I have a Spec V too and worried it would be too small for a firefish...and here you are with 3+ fish in yours =P. Guess I will be getting a firefish down the road.
I wouldn't do the three fish without the sump but my pair of clowns were fine when it was just the regular system. The stock return pump is VERY weak (53gph) though so consider upgrading if you don't want a ton of detritus settling in the display section. Enjoy!

ninjamyst

Premium member
I wouldn't do the three fish without the sump but my pair of clowns were fine when it was just the regular system. The stock return pump is VERY weak (53gph) though so consider upgrading if you don't want a ton of detritus settling in the display section. Enjoy!
I upgraded to the 606 already, but still think it's weak. Maybe it's cuz my rock is too big and blocks too much flow. Here's a quick pic before it crashed a few weeks ago:
DSC_3414 by jackyhchau, on Flickr

SkullV

I upgraded to the 606 already, but still think it's weak. Maybe it's cuz my rock is too big and blocks too much flow. Here's a quick pic before it crashed a few weeks ago:
DSC_3414 by jackyhchau, on Flickr
Tank looks great! Check out the Hydor Pico 300. Should fit in the chamber, 300gph. You will have to cut the output nozzle though like I did. The output for my "closed loop" is the original output nozzle from the SpecV but cut open a bit. Either way, I would cut open the nozzle, it is a huge restriction.

SkullV

Can't make a decision whether to stay with the current lighting or go with a new all CREE DIY. If I do end up with the DIY it will be this array:

Last edited:

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Thinking about changing the array up to look like this:

thoughts?
I like this one better but remove the two from row 3 & 4 CW-2-80* and replace them with moon lights as in post #114. How come you didn't choose the other colors like red, violet, etc, etc? What color temp will that give you after removing the two CW?

SkullV

The reason the last array I posted is so compelling is because it's an almost perfect representation of my current light setup which I like, I just really want the crisp clean spectrum that the Cree chips provide. There are 3 reasons for skipping the other colors. The first is that I've found that the other colors (outside of UV) do nothing for me visually, and a CREE cool white is basically full spectrum. The second reason is that the tank is so small that even one red chip really messes up the spectrum. The third reason is that red/yellow/cyan/green/etc. won't help the tank with anything but growing algae.

That last array should be somewhere around 20k when all the chips are on. Maybe a little more blue though.

SkullV

Decided to pull the trigger!

Ordered a red and green just in case, also some extra for my fuge light to grow chaeto since it won't be a display anymore.

Last edited:

SkullV

A few little updates:

Moved everything to the new apartment and didn't seem to lose anything so that is positive.

RapidLED forgot to send me some of the correct length jumper cables for the DIY LED so it's on hold until they come in on Friday. Did get all the chips mounted though:

I also have a Red and Green for the last two spots, but probably won't end up using them.

In the other tank, since no one wanted a killer deal on the system, I decided I would cut some overflow teeth and use it for the clowns and a BTA (looking for a nice looking BTA!). The teeth came out OK for cutting them with a 1/4" dremel router, freehand, while the entire panel was glued into place. I haven't had a light over the tank yet so I cant tell if it bothers me. If it does, I'll get a new panel cut and glue it in:

Last edited: