Smitty's Big Reef (125 Gal)

Smitty

Premium member
Good evening Chicagoreefs family..... sorry I've been kinda m.i.a. lately. Between work, taking care of my mother, and settling in to the new home we bought, I've finally found time to upgrade my 60 gal cube to a bigger tank. I bought a125 gal tank, and started plumbing it yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Smitty

Premium member
Because this tank is in my family room, and on hardwood floors, I wanted to put the sump and other filtration in the next room over, which is the laundry/ mud room.

Smitty

Premium member
The wife didn't mind me drilling holes in the wall.... it's a nice clean look..... plus, I'll cover that corner up with a large plant or something.
Here's the wall where the filtration will be. On the other side of the room is the washer, laundry tub and my ro unit.

Smitty

Premium member
Hey wait were those pipes go lol u have a filter room

- - - Updated - - -

Sps or what when its ready i got ya
Yep, they go to the next room over, which is the laundry room. Nothing but space and opportunity in there.

Smitty

Premium member
Gonna keep it a nice mixed reef Madjoe, still deciding how I wanna aqua scape it. I've been thinking of doing 3 islands, and the middle island having a cluster of various sps's.

madjoe

Premium member
The wife didn't mind me drilling holes in the wall.... it's a nice clean look..... plus, I'll cover that corner up with a large plant or something.
Here's the wall where the filtration will be. On the other side of the room is the washer, laundry tub and my ro unit.

Lol nice . Dude I ripped the door frame out ten minutes after recieving keys to my house my wife just looked at me and walked away lmfao . Filter room gonna make things so easy for maintenance im jealous. I had to be creative to make maintenance easy on me . Holes were involved in my process also just through the floor lol. Idk if wife knows about those hiles yet though. Sssh

Smitty

Premium member
Picked up a nice Aqueon proflex 4 sump today from Karl (thanks again bro). Water testing and cleaning it.

Smitty

Premium member
Lol nice . Dude I ripped the door frame out ten minutes after recieving keys to my house my wife just looked at me and walked away lmfao . Filter room gonna make things so easy for maintenance im jealous. I had to be creative to make maintenance easy on me . Holes were involved in my process also just through the floor lol. Idk if wife knows about those hiles yet though. Sssh
Lmao.....shhhhh, I won't tell her.

Mjl714

Looking like a fun build. Plumbing clean, gotta love access to laundry room. 125 has lots of nice swimming and display space.

carpetreef75

Premium member
Good evening Chicagoreefs family..... sorry I've been kinda m.i.a. lately. Between work, taking care of my mother, and settling in to the new home we bought, I've finally found time to upgrade my 60 gal cube to a bigger tank. I bought a125 gal tank, and started plumbing it yesterday.

Congratz Smitty & looking very good , its all about family bro just got my grandpa back home last night from the hospital finally and your wifey gots to be soooo Happy trading in those stairs from the old place ha .
Bryan

Smitty

Premium member
Congratz Smitty & looking very good , its all about family bro just got my grandpa back home last night from the hospital finally and your wifey gots to be soooo Happy trading in those stairs from the old place ha .
Bryan
Yes sir, thanks. Yeah family is everything to us. And she's definitely loving the new place. ☺

Smitty

Premium member
Just finished sanding and painting an old metal stand my grandmother had lying around her house. Its 36" which is perfect, because so is the sump.

Smitty

Premium member
Do you guys think I should place a piece of that pink insulation board on the frame, for the sump to sit on? I was thinking it could help stop or eliminate any vibrations from the pumps.