Smitty's Big Reef (125 Gal)

Smitty

Premium member
So your drain still has to travel up?
Yes sir, even tho where it comes thru the wall is well beneath the actual tank, it still has to come up 7-8”(still lower than the tank) up to the sump. I’m hoping that 7” up flow isn’t an issue, but I don’t see it being one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
Yes sir, even tho where it comes thru the wall is well beneath the actual tank, it still has to come up 7-8”(still lower than the tank) up to the sump. I’m hoping that 7” up flow isn’t an issue, but I don’t see it being one.

I guess no different then a j trap on a sink just little higher. Hopefully works fine when is it getting wet is the real question lol

Smitty

Premium member
Lol i had to think about it for a while and that popped in my head. So what lights u going with.
Ummmm..... That's the hardest decision I'm having right now. I'm really leaning towards going back to t5's. I've been looking at the Ati fixture. Although it's a 72" tank, I think I can get away with a 60" fixture, since I'm gonna hang it. I wish I had the money to get 2 more radion fixtures tho, to just place 3 of them up there. So still deciding bro.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
Ummmm..... That's the hardest decision I'm having right now. I'm really leaning towards going back to t5's. I've been looking at the Ati fixture. Although it's a 72" tank, I think I can get away with a 60" fixture, since I'm gonna hang it. I wish I had the money to get 2 more radion fixtures tho, to just place 3 of them up there. So still deciding bro.

Lol I can’t afford one radion let alone 3 lol. I went t5 for awhile but got tired of changing bulbs went back to the china leds

fishtank44

I got ATI fixture T5 8 bulbs running on my 210gals tank, by the end of right corner I added a LED at right at corner I am keep some monti and some basic sps so far all my sps are doing fine under ati T5
congratulation with New House and new bigger tank my friend.

Smitty

Premium member
I got ATI fixture T5 8 bulbs running on my 210gals tank, by the end of right corner I added a LED at right at corner I am keep some monti and some basic sps so far all my sps are doing fine under ati T5
Thank you....yeah, I may go that route. I don’t think I’ll need the 8bulb fixture tho. :)

fishtank44

Thank you....yeah, I may go that route. I don’t think I’ll need the 8bulb fixture tho. :)

2 bulbs blue green ran 12 hrs other 6 day lights bulbs is 6 hrs , 3 Kessils are 4hrs plus LED panel is 4 hrs my wife still complains me for comed bill lol.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Looking good and congrats on the new house!

Since you are pre-water you may want to consider some plumbing adjustments.

Both of your 1" overflow pipes connect with a tee essentially making your total drain size a single 1" pipe. It might be worth having both of your 1" pipes join a manifold of 1.5" to the sump to handle the total flow better.

As for the 7" up-hill climb to the sump, consider it will slow down the flow of water (which the first suggestion will help with) but any heavier solids may sit in that low point kind of like a sink pea trap. Might want to make it easy to clean out annually. It looks like you have a union so if you have a long pipe cleaner you should be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Smitty

Premium member
Thank you. As much as I’d hate to change all that out.....I totally agree with you. Good thing I didn’t glue anything yet. So I appreciate the suggestion. I’ll swap the 1” out for 1.5”. Where would you suggest I start the conversion to the larger pvc? Right after the “T”?

Smitty

Premium member
I took the advice and swapped out the drainage pipes from 1" to 1.5". I went ahead and glued all the plumbing together too.

Smitty

Premium member
This top tank (30 gal long) is gonna be my display refugium. I'm thinking deep sand bed, various micro algae, mangroves, and a group of shrimp(maybe sexy shrimp).

Smitty

Premium member
Is your skimmer gonna fit anywhere. And be able to clean it
Yes sir. The skimmer is gonna go in the last chamber, with the return pumps. There's space for me to reach in there. You can see that the sump height is lower on that side.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I took the advice and swapped out the drainage pipes from 1" to 1.5". I went ahead and glued all the plumbing together too.

Nice! I think you quoted someone else's thread so I didn't see the alert but the plumbing looks good!

Smitty

Premium member
Nice! I think you quoted someone else's thread so I didn't see the alert but the plumbing looks good!

Oops, I didn’t catch that earlier. Lol
Thanks again for the advice bro.

Smitty

Premium member
Is there anything I could use to clean up some of this excess purple prime color off of the pipes?

Fish_wiz2

Yes sir. The skimmer is gonna go in the last chamber, with the return pumps. There's space for me to reach in there. You can see that the sump height is lower on that side.

Be careful with this Smitty, you may get lots of micro bubbles in the tank with the skimmer's output dumping right by the return. My take would be to find and external skimmer and put it next to the sump rack on it's own stand then have the output led to the first chamber of the sump.

Is there anything I could use to clean up some of this excess purple prime color off of the pipes?

Once it dries, not really man, I'd suggest painting it. Now would also be the best time since the tank isn't running.