Spartanman22's Fluval M90

tinman

Just a thought

Flatworms also like some sps better than others .. did you check at night ?
Especially the half dead one .. easier way is to leave it out of water for 10 mins or so and then ispect .. easier to soot anything moving at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Just a thought

Flatworms also like some sps better than others .. did you check at night ?
Especially the half dead one .. easier way is to leave it out of water for 10 mins or so and then ispect .. easier to soot anything moving at that time

Based on how quickly these guys melted I’d vote against flatworms. Plus I aggressively dip all new stuff. But ya never know.

Spartanman22

Have you checked phosphates? Never easy finding out what's wrong when other corals are doing fine...I have dippin dots if u want to replace it.
I don’t usually test phosphates. I’ve got the Hanna Checker and in two years of owning have never gotten a result above 0.0. But maybe I’ll check tomorrow.

Mjl714

Based on how quickly these guys melted I’d vote against flatworms. Plus I aggressively dip all new stuff. But ya never know.

I don’t think it‘s flatworms either, because on March 7th, I pickup 4 frags (Walt Disney, PC Superman, Pearlberry, and one other no name), I dipped, and frags were very clean, nothing surfaced. Frags are doing fine.

Spartanman22

I don’t think it‘s flatworms either, because on March 7th, I pickup 4 frags (Walt Disney, PC Superman, Pearlberry, and one other no name), I dipped, and frags were very clean, nothing surfaced. Frags are doing fine.
Well I’m glad they’re doing well for you!

Spartanman22

I just tested and Alk/Ca are spot on as usual but nitrates were north of 50. Last week they were 5-10. So I guess there’s my culprit. No clue why they’d jump though. I’ve got tons of marinpure in the back parts of the AIO and only 2 fish in my 35 gallon tank. Going to do probably 5 gallon water changes every other day.

Anyone know if vibrant could cause a nitrate spike? I dose a small amount of vibrant 2x/week (1 mL) but I’ve been doing that for along time.

Funlad3

I lost some colonies a few months back because some new chaeto stripped all of the nutrients from the system. The RTNed acros spiked the nutrients right back up and I've been slowly bringing them down since. I don't know if what you lost would have sent your nitrates to 50, but they may not have been that high before your losses.

Spartanman22

Add three pink lemonade, maricultured colony and another no name colony to the list. Good news is all but 1 of the 10 PC Superman frags are doing well so far.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Well lost my WWC Hippie Juice colony so guess things aren’t getting better

Sorry to hear that. Did you ever test PO4? I usually just get brown coral from high nitrate, but high PO4 has killed some of my colonies in the past.

Spartanman22

Sorry to hear that. Did you ever test PO4? I usually just get brown coral from high nitrate, but high PO4 has killed some of my colonies in the past.
Ya I don’t think my Hana checker works. I’ve never gotten a result other than 0.00.

tinman

Ya I don’t think my Hana checker works. I’ve never gotten a result other than 0.00.

the low range phos checker works
if its saying 0 then it is 0 :)
i checked back in the day adding neophos to rodi and measuring it ..

what about your nitrate ?

Spartanman22

the low range phos checker works

if its saying 0 then it is 0 :)

i checked back in the day adding neophos to rodi and measuring it ..
I need to bring it to the lab and run some QAQC with standards. There have been multiple times where the 0.00 number just didn’t make sense.

tinman

I need to bring it to the lab and run some QAQC with standards. There have been multiple times where the 0.00 number just didn’t make sense.

hopefully you will find the reason for die off soon buddy :( i know it sucks to loose corals

Spartanman22

hopefully you will find the reason for die off soon buddy :( i know it sucks to loose corals
Ya it’s not been fun. Ironically this all started when covid got popular. Up until the Hippie Juice all my losses had been bearable. Mostly small frags or no-name colonies. This is the first “nice” piece I’ve lost.

Spartanman22

Well this is turning into a depressing update but weekend loss list: TCK Pikachu, WWC Hippie Sabotage, ASD Green Dragon, ORA Red Planet.

ORA Mother of Pearl and WWC Grafted Monti look like they’re on deck.

This is likely going to be the end of the line for me. Going to start planning tearing this tank down.

Funlad3

Well this is turning into a depressing update but weekend loss list: TCK Pikachu, WWC Hippie Sabotage, ASD Green Dragon, ORA Red Planet.

ORA Mother of Pearl and WWC Grafted Monti look like they’re on deck.

This is likely going to be the end of the line for me. Going to start planning tearing this tank down.
Ugh; I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't slowed down! Any chance of being able to pull the corals to put them in a new/clean tank and doing a relaunch of the M90?

Spartanman22

Ugh; I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't slowed down! Any chance of being able to pull the corals to put them in a new/clean tank and doing a relaunch of the M90?
I’ve been planning an upgrade build for over a year now because I was supposed to be moving to New York last fall. That got cancelled so I’ve been sitting on the equipment. It’s not quite fully there yet though.

I have no place to put anything else. Best option right now is to just get rid of all that’s still alive and start fully from scratch. Really disappointing because I was planning on setting up the upgrade soon and was very excited about moving all my colonies over to a bigger tank.

The tank was at an all time high right before covid hit. Ever since then it’s just been a gradual decline. No clue as to why.

tinman

oh man .. soo sorry to hear this buddy ..

if i may suggest ..

do a 100 % water change .. remove all corals and fish put them in a 5g bucket .. do a 100 percent water change and acclimate them back to the tank..

i know its a lot of work ( may be 4-5 hours ) but well worth it if there is any contaminant in water it would be gone or atleast diluted ..

Spartanman22

I keep thinking I’m out of the woods and then I lose another piece. This weeks loss was my ORA Miami Orchid.