Sponsors?

The reefer

it would b kool if they post once in a while. it doesnt have to just b about discounts but just to inform us of anything new they have.

Forfend

You obviously don't know how things were run for sponsorship. Also, I think it does matter, not just because I would hope they contribute, but also because this is a VERY small community as far as some of the bigger sponsors are concerned and they may even forget it is there. For example, Premium Aquatics posts significantly more on Mike's other forum in Southern California.
How things were run for sponsorship it's the same for every website. I've been a member of staff on two very large boards. Sponsorship is a requirement to display your goods. Its a way for the site you are displaying on to get a piece of the sales increase you will possibly see by advertising your wares.

It comes down to the amount of return he will expect by making a post. This site is too small to demand[/] people and sponsors to post and be active members.

We used to charge a minimum $1200 for just the ability to allow a business to advertise on the boards. If you wanted a main thread to be sponsored by you that ran $3000 / year. That site has over 300k registered users.

Want better sponsors? Get more base users and more active discussions.

jcarlilesiu

Sponsors come when there is a benefit to their business by doing so. As far as online communities are concerned, when retailers and sponsors feel that their involvment in the forum generates X sales, they will be here.

You can't get sponsors involved by sending newsletters, but rather by providing and enviornment that is beneficial. That comes by having a lot of exposure, i.e. members of the forum.

Build up membership, and sponsors will come.

I am not sure why this is important to members though? Sponsors typically help cover operating costs. Not sure why members who aren't being asked to cover those costs would be concerned.

Sent from my HTC android on tapatalk

Loki047

I am not sure why this is important to members though?

They are en excellent resource of information and experience. I have a full time job not involving tanks. They have full time jobs based upon it, why wouldn't we want to encourage them to post and be active?

SkullV

How things were run for sponsorship it's the same for every website.
Incorrect, at least when the site was started sponsors paid absolutely nothing. They were just expected to contribute to the community and offer a discount to CR members.

They are en excellent resource of information and experience. I have a full time job not involving tanks. They have full time jobs based upon it, why wouldn't we want to encourage them to post and be active?
You are right, and if you ask around the vast majority agrees with you.

EyeReef

I agree with you guys. Sponsors are valuable to the community, not only for their support, but for their knowledge and expertise. But unfortunately the trend that I have noticed has been, the bigger the community, the more active the sponsors. So this is something we can look forward to this here on CR as we continue to grow. We are fortunate now to have a few active sponsors.

jcarlilesiu

Business owners and employees are able to (and do intact) engage the forum.

That is a totally different issue than sponsorship.

yogoshio

I think generally people assume sponsorship means more money to go around, and that's not entirely false. Say sponsors promoted on CR t shirts that members received. That is a direct benefit to the members. However, unless they can measure a monetary benefit, sponsors will not exist.

Personally, I think sponsorship is a double-edged sword. Sponsors expect preferential treatment. Its basically the same scenario as lobbyists in congress; you scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Their tacit knowledge of the hobby is very useful, but only as useful if you agree with them!

SkullV

Also why do some sponsors have sponsorship badges and some do not? Are there different levels of sponsorship? Would anyone mind weighing in on what they are?

Cubbies

On the home page it says sponsership2? Click on it it seems more money bigger banner and mailbox and couple other things it seems
Aha! Ok so the ones that don't have one don't pay I guess. Well it doesn't make a difference either way. Glad to know though as I was wondering

EyeReef

Dont be so concern about the behind the scene stuff here. Just leave the work to the team and I. Just enjoy CR for what it is. Just know we are working to improve the site for everyone. Happy reefing :)