SPS/Clams with Boyds Chemi Clean

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Which one of your SPS Gurus have used Boyds Chemi Clean on their tanks. I talked with one member week or so back at his house and he said hes used it twice. He is one member that I trust with advice, but I am a paranoid SOB when it comes to dosing the tank with something. my tank is finally settled in and SPS are alive and growing. I have been battling cyano for prob 3 months now. I siphon it all out during water changes but couple days later comes back in the certain spots. My last resort is Chemi Clean. I just need to hear from other CR members and their experience.

Top Water

I have used it in the past . Some corals weren't happy but no fatalities . Stuff does work. Skimmer will go nuts when you turn it back on .

#theMatrix

Killing the lights for 4 days and now 2mp40s adding the flow and that undertow keeps the sand bed clean no cyano

Sparky312

I've used it as well with no issues. Like said above, skimmer goes crazy -- I left mine turned on but with the cup removed, since if I remember right the directions say make sure your water is oxygenated with an air stone or something. It works.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Thanks for the responses.. Ive used it before on a ZOA tank it worked great, but now I ventured to sps and actually getting some where with it.. heh.. The skimmer part sucks so bad though, it takes forever to get back on track.

Well I guess today I will prob siphon out as much as I can and then dose little less then what is recommended. Wish me luck.. AGHH nervous as hell.

tinman

dont dose little less than whats recommended .. wont change anything with the skimmer part :)

for me when i used it ..

i did a 20% water change the day before

and dosed at full strength (may be little more) the next day

take off the skimmer cup and let it run

change 10% water the next day ( or 48 hrs i dont rememebr but as per directions)

and not feed for 3 days .. (this is cause i wasnt skimming so dont want the water to become too dirty .. )

skimemr would be fine and behave normally after like 5 days or so all by itself ..then put the collection cup backagain

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Thank Tinman. Im just doing a little less on the dose because im paranoid as F**k right now about doing it. I will take your tip on the feeding, and ill be doing a WC today like you mentioned.

Fish_wiz2

Also another user having used it on my old 125 gallon. SPS, clams, LPS, the works. No issues. Dose accordingly and use airstones in place of your off skimmer, it does mess with pH from my experience. BUT, maybe this is just me but chemiclean is a band aid for cyano, I've still had it come back. Problem was I couldn't control my phosphates. Hope it works for you.

SteveV

I did it in my 55 gallon several weeks ago. I agree with above, full dose but instead of 1 air stone I put 2. Like you a little paranoid. Didn't hurt anything and the red slim was gone in a full day. Again, me being paranoid I did a 10-15% water change every day until the skimmer settled down. I did move everything out of the 55 to the 120.. I was worried about the sand but figured why not. The only curve ball I have is my algae scrubber is really kicking in. Not sure if it has any affect on the famous red slim?? The fact is it had nothing to do with the slim after being treated was gone in 1x day. I HATED the slim, went for it and am very happy I did. Hope it helps

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Great news so far. Thanks. I have been registering .02 on phos using a henna and <5 on nitrates using Red Sea kit. So I'm not sure why. I have a LOT of flow and don't even feed much. Bulbs are coming up on 6 months old. Thinking it could be been caused by me taking down biopellets 2-3 months ago.

madjoe

Premium member
Lol sissy man . Like i said i used half the bottle first time didnt do water change before let it sit in take for about five days with skimmer cap off dam bubbles suck but u need airration any ways then i skimmed it out like how i told u with skimmer cup cracked a bit so it dont over fill that took about two more days then i got around to a water change probably 3 weeks after that lol so its safe specially if u do it right with the water changes lol . If im wrong i will restock your whole tank . Like george forman says i guarentee it . Lol

Sparky312

Running carbon after your treatment will also help remove it from the water and get the skimmer back to "normal" quicker

RicoReef

Its works just remove skimmer after the water change and place it in a bucket with ro water for a day or so it worked for me. it creates a kinda slime coat that makes the skimmer go crazy

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Alrighty so I just poured it in and may have pooped my pants a little. Hah. Skimmer is going nuts already. Looks like a spring break foam party in the sump? Hah. Well I guess no going back.

MikeyB

Late checking in, but ive used it as well with sps with no major issues. My skimmer did the same that yours did but the stuff did its job and skimmer went back to normal once i got it all out.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
This morning looks like one of my acros I got on friday from AP lost half of its skin :(. Prob due to being so new and just put in the tank. who knows but all I really care about is my colonies of stylo, forest fire, tyree undata and few new acro frags I got recently. So far so good.:happy_bounce: