SPS/Clams with Boyds Chemi Clean

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Stupid skimmer is still over flowing. I've changed 50 gallon so far with 3 wc. One more wc and going to give the skimmer a vinegar bath probably. Tank is sparkling clean looks better then ever. Everything stayed open the whole time even the clam. Had two loses but I'm happy over all. Could deft say it's reef safe.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Fish_wiz2

I wouldn't clean your skimmer, then you have to break it in again. Just keep up with WC's and carbon and it will eventually return to normal.

MikeyB

I've never had to clean my skimmer, i just let the skimmer overflow and have it drain into a gallon bucket until its all gone

ultimatemj

I agree, if the skimmer is still foaming over it's because the amount of chemi-clean in the water is still in need of dilution.
I'd wait a day and do another 25% WC.

One other note, when I used it, it nuked my pod population. After the skimmer calms down, check to see if you need to "reseed".

Last edited:

MikeyB

I agree, if the skimmer is still foaming over it's because the amount of chemi-clean in the water is still in need of dilution.
I'd wait a day and do another 25% WC.

One other note, when I used it, it nuked my pod population. After the skimmer calms down, check to see if you need to "reseed".
Yep, what he said. There's still traces of chemi clean in there so either keep up with the water changes or if your skimmer cup has a drain do what i did, just let it foam up and over and drain into a bucket till it calms down

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Well did another 30 gallon wc and skimmer is still freaking out and over flowing. Agh. Well At least the tank looks good.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Vinegar bath did it for me. I could not wait any longer for the stupid thing to work. Gave it a 90min bath while it was running in vinegar and water, and then ran it in some sink water for another 30 min. Put it back in the tank and an hour later boom sucker is skimming..

MikeyB

Wow that's kinda crazy but atleast the issue is fixed. Good to hear everything is back up and running.