Single kessil a360we over 60 cube

1.025 - Milwaukee digital refractometer
420 calcium - red sea pro
8.1 dkh - hanna and red sea pro
Phosphate .03 - hanna
Nitrate 0 - nyos

Any ideas?

tinman

I would ask what color and intensity you are running the kessil at ? And for how long ?

And are we talking about acros that went from colorful to brown or are you trying to colorup browned out sticks ? How long have those sticks been in your tank at the same spot ?

Easy way is to say :) Ditch the kessil if going acro tank ..

Sent from my iPhone

rockhead

Sorry LEDs are out of my league , may be wrong as anyone could be but I would lean towards more light

[MENTION=1125]ThePorkchopExpress[/MENTION]
I don't really know much about Kessils, tinman is far more knowledgable on that brand. But I just can't see how it's possible to get good light coverage coming from one point above your entire tank. They must have wide angle lenses or something but even then the shadowing would be horrible for everything not directly under the spotlight.

Assuming your parameters are stable I'd wager a guess your issue is with lighting. Sps turn brown when there's not enough light, nutrients are too high, not enough flow, stress, or a variety of other reasons. They color up when they're happy. Trick is to make them happy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superchargedgp

I would ask what color and intensity you are running the kessil at ? And for how long ?

And are we talking about acros that went from colorful to brown or are you trying to colorup browned out sticks ? How long have those sticks been in your tank at the same spot ?

Easy way is to say :) Ditch the kessil if going acro tank ..

Sent from my iPhone
35 percent color 70 percent intensity. 11 hours
Acros are directly under it. About 12 inches from the light
Acros had some color when i got them and slowly turned brown.

Anyone want to buy some acros lol

tinman

I don't really know much about Kessils, tinman is far more knowledgable on that brand. But I just can't see how it's possible to get good light coverage coming from one point above your entire tank. They must have wide angle lenses or something but even then the shadowing would be horrible for everything not directly under the spotlight.

Assuming your parameters are stable I'd wager a guess your issue is with lighting. Sps turn brown when there's not enough light, nutrients are too high, not enough flow, stress, or a variety of other reasons. They color up when they're happy. Trick is to make them happy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very much true .. Single point source would cause very harsh shadows which is why i never say go kessils for sps ..

But if its a 360we then there is more than enough coverage and my experience with kessils is where ever the light hits they will be very colorful .. Unless placed at the outer 4inches in a 24inch cube.

Having said that corals take some getting used to to be and thrive under kessils IME

Sent from my iPhone

tinman

35 percent color 70 percent intensity. 11 hours
Acros are directly under it. About 12 inches from the light
Acros had some color when i got them and slowly turned brown.

Anyone want to buy some acros lol
Patience then and as i mentioned in my prev post leave them be .. It takes about 2 months or so for them to start coloring up again .. Meanwhile concentrate on other stuff like nutrients flow etc and dont disturb the acros .. If there is good pe on those corals then they would eventually color up

Sent from my iPhone

given that the coral had color prior to turning brown, if the lighting was indeed enough, they would turn green and will stay green for a few months while it gets accustomed to the tank and lighting...them turning brown IMO is a sign of photoinhibition - it's the coral taking in more zooxanthelle because it's not getting enough energy from what they already have...zooxanthelle are brown so it's overpowering the natural colors of that coral

tinman

if the lighting was indeed enough, they would turn green and will stay green for a few months while it gets accustomed to the tank and lighting...them turning brown IMO is a sign of photoinhibition - it's the coral taking in more zooxanthelle because it's not getting enough energy from what they already have...zooxanthelle are brown so it's overpowering the natural colors of that coral
Kessils are insanely strong. There is no such thing as inadequate light with them .. Their rated depth penetration is 5 foot .. And in this case the acro is directly under the light aka hotzone.

The coral when stressed would get browned out not essentially cause of light .. Can be flow can be food or other things like you mentioned.

Again i wont recommend kessils for an sps tank for different reasons.

Sent from my iPhone

superchargedgp

Thanks for the replies. Green and red monticaps are coloring up nicely. Digitas are doing great so are birdsnest. Only acros that are giving me trouble. Maybe ill just stick to everything but actos

SkullV

Thanks for the replies. Green and red monticaps are coloring up nicely. Digitas are doing great so are birdsnest. Only acros that are giving me trouble. Maybe ill just stick to everything but actos
Unfortunately that sounds like pretty standard kessil lighting issues for SPS.

tinman

For what its worth.. The full blown sps reef a 120 gallon tank that made me awe is lighted by 4 kessil a150s and every thing is grown from frags for 2 years each into beautiful colonies Ed [MENTION=971]Shanko[/MENTION] on here. Then changed to ai sols .. Not sure if he is still in the hobby

Ill hold my statement kessils are amazing lights its just not many know how to use them and make blanket statements all the time :) please refer to my signature :)

Sent from my iPhone

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Don't give up on acros. How long have you had them. I always have corals either bleach out or brown out when I first put them in my tank. That's why you see me post a pic right when I get them, but I don't post pics of them for months until they color up. No need to showcase the turds.

I sounds like you're parameters are good. Have you bleached out any corals with the kessil being too strong? If not, crank it up a bit to 90% or so. I blast my corals and don't really have problems with burning or bleaching due to light. I don't know anything about kessils, but until you see adverse impact, crank it. Maybe you'll see positive impact before negative?

tinman

Don't give up on acros. How long have you had them. I always have corals either bleach out or brown out when I first put them in my tank. That's why you see me post a pic right when I get them, but I don't post pics of them for months until they color up. No need to showcase the turds.

I sounds like you're parameters are good. Have you bleached out any corals with the kessil being too strong? If not, crank it up a bit to 90% or so. I blast my corals and don't really have problems with burning or bleaching due to light. I don't know anything about kessils, but until you see adverse impact, crank it. Maybe you'll see positive impact before negative?
exactly .. if you use a controller you can go 100% on the kessil for a few hours during midday .. do make sure you dont have lps in the hotspot and higher than half way up though .