SPS question

Jep21

So in my tank i've been growing my sps very well for a couple months until a couple weeks ago.. Not sure if the amount of sps is way to much for my system to handle or maybe i should dose daily now or maybe its time to upgrade my skimmer due to my bioload but heres the dilema im runnning into.. My current colonies that have grown from small frags have started to white out at the tips.. It seem like its a slow process cause i dont see them doing it super fast.. And also when i add new sps to my tank they seem to thrive more compared to my existing sps that was currently in the tank.. To take it a step further even some sps frags that i put in the tank that were bleach ended up coloring up in my tank while my existing sps white out.. I have not checked my water params yet and will check it in a little bit but was wondering what ur guys thoughts might be on whats going on in my tank

tinman

Picture please

White tips often means growth tips ... Unless you see tips loosing skin or like charred skin I think those are not burnt tips

It it's smooth white tips then they might be growth tips which is good

Jep21

Picture please

White tips often means growth tips ... Unless you see tips loosing skin or like charred skin I think those are not burnt tips

It it's smooth white tips then they might be growth tips which is good
Hard to currently take pictures with my current leds but i will try.. what i can say is that some sps seem to be loosing its skin at the tips like they are comming off but i can still see some polyp extension. Also i have lost half a unkown sps colony and my pink lemonade.. but what i learned in some corals is that even though it has died there is a chance it will come back like how my birdsnest was completely gone when i redid my tank but now its started to grow back 6 months later.. Hopefully my pink lemonade does that

ColaAddict

it will be hard to figure this out without your water parameters. also, look for pests like red bugs and flatworms.

tinman

Hard to currently take pictures with my current leds but i will try.. what i can say is that some sps seem to be loosing its skin at the tips like they are comming off but i can still see some polyp extension. Also i have lost half a unkown sps colony and my pink lemonade.. but what i learned in some corals is that even though it has died there is a chance it will come back like how my birdsnest was completely gone when i redid my tank but now its started to grow back 6 months later.. Hopefully my pink lemonade does that
Are you dosing manually or thru doser ?

What's your alk at ?

Low nutrient system and higher alk is known to cause that issue .. Also if you are dosing large amounts of alk by hand that can be issue also

The reefer

It could b ur phosphates. How many fish do u have in the tank? And how often do u feed? Mayb u need to start carbon dosing.

But also how nino said. Check to make sure u don't have any pests in them.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
The fact that your not daily dosing leads me to think it is an alk issue. With that little amount of water and a decent amount of sps, I'm sure your parameters are swinging quite a bit if you're not dosing daily.

Siebo

Premium member
The fact that your not daily dosing leads me to think it is an alk issue. With that little amount of water and a decent amount of sps, I'm sure your parameters are swinging quite a bit if you're not dosing daily.
+1 you need to check how much alk your tank is consuming daily. If you are just doing weekly WC's the ALK is most likely swinging a lot causing this.

Hard to know with out test results though.

Jep21

so checked my params today

Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 70 per hanna checker
Phos: .05
Cal: 437
Temp: 80-81
Salt I use is red sea coral reef pro

Have about 6 fish. Also have a 2.5 cpr hob fuge with macro algae and tunze 9001 which i empty every two days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rockhead

If alk is telling me 7 it's a little low for me 8.5 -9 is my comfort zone never used a Hanna to check mine not sure how it reads

Tom

ColaAddict

70 ppm on hanna checker is equivalent to 4 dKh. Too low for SPS. Need to bring up to atleast 7 dKH or atleast 125 ppm.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Yep, 70ppm on the alk is way too low. I shoot for a range between 140-150 (around 8 Dkh). I'm surprised you've got any SPS alive. You need to start dosing every day and monitoring every few days until you a confident you're maintaining it correctly. Kalk in your topoff is a really easy (and cheap) way to do it and the method I use, but you've got plenty of options.

Jep21

70 ppm on hanna checker is equivalent to 4 dKh. Too low for SPS. Need to bring up to atleast 7 dKH or atleast 125 ppm.

Whats the conversion from ppm to dkh

Jep21

Yep, 70ppm on the alk is way too low. I shoot for a range between 140-150 (around 8 Dkh). I'm surprised you've got any SPS alive. You need to start dosing every day and monitoring every few days until you a confident you're maintaining it correctly. Kalk in your topoff is a really easy (and cheap) way to do it and the method I use, but you've got plenty of options.
Im surprised also.. Im gonna start manual dosing twice a day of alk until i get my doser up and running.. Whats the method u use for upping the alk