Still can't turn skimmer on after ChemiClean...

Vapour1ze

Hi all, I dosed ChemiClean about 3 weeks ago... I've done 3 large water changes and still when I turn my skimmer on it fills the cup in 10 seconds with just crazy overflow.... I can't dial my intake the skimmer down anymore... Fish and tanks are clean... I haven't been skimming in 3 weeks but this is crazy.... All due to ChemiClean... I'm using a Skimz Monsta 302.... Any input would be seriously appreciated... Maybe I could only run 1 of the 3 pumps or something for the time being? Not sure... Cheers

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
The initial water change should have been a very large one. What % of water did you change out? Keep in mind, one single 50% water change is more effective than three separate 25% water changes.

You may want to raise your skimmer way up and let it skim out of say half the recommended depth (i.e. if your skimmer needs 8-9" of water depth, then make it 4-5" and scale back until you are skimming without overflowing. You'll have to correct this daily until you can get it back to the recommended depth.

HTH

Vapour1ze

The initial water change should have been a very large one. What % of water did you change out? Keep in mind, one single 50% water change is more effective than three separate 25% water changes.

You may want to raise your skimmer way up and let it skim out of say half the recommended depth (i.e. if your skimmer needs 8-9" of water depth, then make it 4-5" and scale back until you are skimming without overflowing. You'll have to correct this daily until you can get it back to the recommended depth.

HTH
Thanks and water height doesn't matter in my skimmer, it is internal/external... But, my WC hasn't been that much. About 30 gallons each time. I have about a 400 gal system. Lol
Should have prob done more....

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Yeah, you'll want to do a single very large WC.. They recommend 50% I believe. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1fishjones

Premium member
Try giving the skimmer a vinegar bath, that should remove any coating left on the acrylic.

anarchy

Heres what i did. Ran a pipe from the collection cup drain into a 5 gallon bucket and let the skimmer do the water change. I did 10 gallons every couple of days until i was able to tune the skimmer again. I think it only took like 20-30 gallons

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Vapour1ze

Heres what i did. Ran a pipe from the collection cup drain into a 5 gallon bucket and let the skimmer do the water change. I did 10 gallons every couple of days until i was able to tune the skimmer again. I think it only took like 20-30 gallons

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Topping off with fresh saltwater yes?

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Same thing happened to me. Would just over flow for three weeks. I got sick of it and gave it a vinegar bath. Just poured some vinegar and water into a bucket let it run for an hour in the bucket and put it back into the tank. First fire up and worked perfect after that.

ColaAddict

Best way I've dealt with it was to attach hose to the skimmer cup drain and let the skimmer pull out all the chemiclean into a 5gallon bucket. Just keep replacing with fresh saltwater. This way will save you saltwater as opposed to doing a straight up water change.