Sump

charris24

What water height should a sump be at? This is my first sump and have an adjustable baffle. I would say I am running at 10 inches or so right now. Higher...lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charris24

I have it in the drain section (only spot with room) same water height. I have the baffle all the way down.

anarchy

I normally turn everything off and let the sump fill up to about 1.5-2" from the top then turn everything back on. You can always build a stand for your skimmer if need be.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

charris24

I normally turn everything off and let the sump fill up to about 1.5-2" from the top then turn everything back on. You can always build a stand for your skimmer if need be.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
What water height should a sump be at? This is my first sump and have an adjustable baffle. I would say I am running at 10 inches or so right now. Higher...lower?

Ummm.... Where's your skimmer? That's the most important part when it comes to determining water height.
I agree with Pfisherman. Skimmer and power outages are the only things that determine where you run your water level in the sump at.

1) Skimmers, if you are going to run one, require a specific range to operate in. For example, mine operates between 8-10" of water depth. Too low, and it doesn't skim much, too high and it continuously overflows.

2) When you simulate a power outage (something everyone should do!), let the water drain into your sump. This allows all the water in your return line, drain lines, and tank (below the lowest point of the return and drains) to drain into the sump. If this overflows or gets very close to overflowing, I'd recommend adjusting the height of your return line (or make sure it has a hole to eliminate suction at the water level), or adjust your drain higher to keep more water in the display.

Home this helps!