Swapping tank need help...

wojto

Ok so I want to upgrade from 25 gallon to 40. What is the best way to do it, I want to use the same equipment and put the new tank in same spot...
I want use water from old tank just add 15g of new water, same with the live rock, I don't know about sand bed should I move old sand bed too or replace with new one...??

mikenh77

The water and rocks are fine... usually the sand is filled with too much dirt to reuse. You can transfer it all at once and it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

trackfast

Princess Trainer
You could use the same sand but I would rinse it well. If it were me I would move all the livestock into buckets and then rinse out the sand. I would also use all new water but there's nothing wrong with what you planned.

wojto

You could use the same sand but I would rinse it well. If it were me I would move all the livestock into buckets and then rinse out the sand. I would also use all new water but there's nothing wrong with what you planned.
Ill do that with sand thanks... but with the all new water doesn't have to be cycled water from mature tank or at least part of it...? Will all the livestock be ok with all new water...?

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Ill do that with sand thanks... but with the all new water doesn't have to be cycled water from mature tank or at least part of it...? Will all the livestock be ok with all new water...?
There's little if any good bacteria in the water. When tanks are cycled, good bacteria builds on the surfaces of live rock and not in the water. I would just make sure the salinity is the same and acclimate the livestock as if it were new fish/corals going into your tank.

xj_matt

Premium member
There's little if any good bacteria in the water. When tanks are cycled, good bacteria builds on the surfaces of live rock and not in the water. I would just make sure the salinity is the same and acclimate the livestock as if it were new fish/corals going into your tank.
Good info i add gloomy to be doing the same thing in the near f
Future but going to run a glass bottm for a few months

wojto

Ok all clear and understood now...so main thing is liverock... will change most of the water and shift the sand thanks.
And another thing is refugium what do I need in it to be most beneficial...?

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Ok all clear and understood now...so main thing is liverock... will change most of the water and shift the sand thanks.
And another thing is refugium what do I need in it to be most beneficial...?
Does the refugium have to be moved? And what do you have it in ? If it has to be moved drain it first but you shouln't have to do much more than that.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Ok so I want to upgrade from 25 gallon to 40. What is the best way to do it, I want to use the same equipment and put the new tank in same spot...
I want use water from old tank just add 15g of new water, same with the live rock, I don't know about sand bed should I move old sand bed too or replace with new one...??
If you do move the sandbed, my recommendation is either of the following:
1) stir 10% of your sandbed every other day for 20 days prior. Runing Ammonia pads in your system and the new one during the process and for a week after the move. This will limit the amount of ammonia that is released and will help capture excess ammonia that your bacteria cannot handle.

2) When you swap your system over, have a large brute of RODI water standing by to rinse your sand before it goes into the new tank. This will likely suck this time of year with it being cold outside but would be necessary. Also run ammonia pads in your new tank for at least a week. You can always use a fresh 200micron filter bag or I have heard of people using womens leggings to assist in rinsing the sand.

If this is a DSB, I would recommend #2 but be very careful if it is old. the amount of decaying matter can be quite large in an old tank. That is why I keep nassarius snails and a conch to stir my sand bed often!

Good luck!

wojto

When were you planning to make the switch? I can give you a hand if I'm not busy.
The thing is I didn't have sump with old tank there was overflow with little built in skimmer some filter pads and bioballs... so for new tank I have to built it from scratch I was thinking about 20 gallon for the beginning add just chaeto and red mangroves... I think I will buy tank today sump and light's so I have to built stand and plumbing and soon as I do that I want to switch the tanks...

wojto

If you do move the sandbed, my recommendation is either of the following:
1) stir 10% of your sandbed every other day for 20 days prior. Runing Ammonia pads in your system and the new one during the process and for a week after the move. This will limit the amount of ammonia that is released and will help capture excess ammonia that your bacteria cannot handle.

2) When you swap your system over, have a large brute of RODI water standing by to rinse your sand before it goes into the new tank. This will likely suck this time of year with it being cold outside but would be necessary. Also run ammonia pads in your new tank for at least a week. You can always use a fresh 200micron filter bag or I have heard of people using womens leggings to assist in rinsing the sand.

If this is a DSB, I would recommend #2 but be very careful if it is old. the amount of decaying matter can be quite large in an old tank. That is why I keep nassarius snails and a conch to stir my sand bed often!

Good luck!
Tank isn't old just around year and I got four nassarius that are shifting the sand so I don't think it's gonna be sa bad..I was thinking what to use to shift the sand great idea thanks.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
You just missed the last $1/gallon sale by a week. :( Have you thought about how you wanted your sump/refugium set up?

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I have an extra 20g long (in my for sale thread). Willing to do a good deal of you need one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wojto

No I didn't think thru...I know but I found guy that had some store and he has a lot equipment and he want same $1 per gallon and he gave me a good price on tank sump and ecoray leds for $200 or less depends what sump I will take...so I think that's good deal...?

trackfast

Princess Trainer
What should I look for picking sump?
If you're going with a pre-made sump get the largest one that will fit in your stand. You can use bio balls or LR and macro algae but it depends on the design of the sump. I like homemade sumps/fuges bc it allows for more flexibility.

wojto

Ok got everything tank is not drilled, and the sump is typical acrylic like wet/dry ones around 15-20 gallon but I think it will work good as refugium...