Taking the plunge: first marine tank 5.5 Gallon w/fuge

Joe Lydon

That, my friend, is the rushing that I was talking about. =\

Nitrates won't start showing until your ammonia and nitrites drop. If you're using an API test kit, your levels are also likely a little higher than you think. Those two should be completely undetectable.

Last edited:

pensiveone

That, my friend, is the rushing that I was talking about. =\
I know what you mean Joe. SkullV is confident these two corals will be fine. Both have opened up fully and are looking good to me so far. Will leave things as they are for several more weeks at least until everything is down to zero. The ammonia has definitely come down, as have the nitrites.

SkullV

I wouldn't worry about either of those corals. Honestly the bacteria in the live rock the GSP is on and the bacteria in the chaeto (it's almost like the bio-bale that used to come with CPR skimmers) is probably enough to process everything that's there. Half the time people get some kind of polyps as hitchhikers on the rock they use to cycle their tank anyway.

Just keep testing and don't add a fish or any finicky coral until you're at 0/0. It was great talking to you and if you have any problems let me know, I'll be back in the area next Friday.

Last edited:

pensiveone

I wouldn't worry about either of those corals. Honestly the bacteria in the live rock the GSP is on and the bacteria in the chaeto (it's almost like the bio-bale that used to come with CPR skimmers) is probably enough to process everything that's there. Half the time people get some kind of polyps as hitchhikers on the rock they use to cycle their tank anyway.

Just keep testing and don't add a fish or any finicky coral until you're at 0/0. It was great talking to you and if you have any problems let me know, I'll be back in the area next Friday.
Thanks Ted, good to meet you face to face as well. I'll keep you posted.

pensiveone

Well, as of yesterday evening my ammonia is between zero and .25ppm. The nitrites however are up to 2 ppm. My nitrate levels are at 10 ppm. Looks like things are moving along.

Last edited:
How are the new additions doing? Pic update!

Hope there doing OK , Wilson may be away from his computer Park Forest was in an uproar last night and there was 200 + cops,swat,fbi,atf all over that town when I passed thru this morn on the way to shop.
Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Just spoke with him billy, everything is doing fine.

you must be confused as usual , and are you following me around thread to thread ??? mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I didn't show JM 69 /Jon my drivers License but he knows who I am LOL
carry on ...

pensiveone

really? the first I heard of this! Guess I'd better ask my neighbor what happened. He tends to follow these things better than me!
Ammonia is a zero. Nitrite spiked all the way up past 5 ppm, but seems to have dropped slightly today. Nitrate holding steady at 10 ppm. The two corals have been doing fine as far as I can tell, as it the hermit crab (although it did kill the snail). Will post a few pics later today.

UPDATE: Here is the cause of the ruckus in Park Forest last night, apparently it was due to a prank call: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/26648232-418/park-forest-police-in-standoff-with-man.html

really? the first I heard of this! Guess I'd better ask my neighbor what happened. He tends to follow these things better than me!
Ammonia is a zero. Nitrite spiked all the way up past 5 ppm, but seems to have dropped slightly today. Nitrate holding steady at 10 ppm. The two corals have been doing fine as far as I can tell, as it the hermit crab (although it did kill the snail). Will post a few pics later today.

UPDATE: Here is the cause of the ruckus in Park Forest last night, apparently it was due to a prank call: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/26648232-418/park-forest-police-in-standoff-with-man.html

Unreal and quite the production they had going on by Blackhawk Dr was suppose to start staking trees for 2014 tree replacement program and you would of thought they found Osama .LOL tax dollars hard at work
Bob

pensiveone

Unreal and quite the production they had going on by Blackhawk Dr was suppose to start staking trees for 2014 tree replacement program and you would of thought they found Osama .LOL tax dollars hard at work
Bob

Yep! Nice to know all that tax money I spend is being utilized so well!

P.S. Where in Will county do you live?

Yep! Nice to know all that tax money I spend is being utilized so well!

P.S. Where in Will county do you live?

Im right next to the Green Garden Country Club 10 mins west of you , have a good friend lives on Shabbona gives us all our C@mcast directional boring work was hoping all was well on that street .
See ya round town Wilson always Ice cold beer at Jimmys

Last edited:

pensiveone

Im right next to the Green Garden Country Club 10 mins west of you , have a good friend lives on Shabbona gives us all our C@mcast directional boring work was hoping all was well on that street .

Cool! We will have to meet up some time. Nice to know I have some Reef loving neighbors (instead of the reefer loving neighbor I used to have)!

Here are some pics of my tank I just took with my phone camera. You can see a close up of the homicidal hermit crab!

View attachment 1609View attachment 1610View attachment 1612

Last edited:
Cool! We will have to meet up some time. Nice to know I have some Reef loving neighbors (instead of the reefer loving neighbor I used to have)!

Here are some pics of my tank I just took with my phone camera. You can see a close up of the homicidal hermit crab!

View attachment 1609View attachment 1610View attachment 1612

now that's Hilarious, we all got some of those & the homicidal crab too :)

pensiveone

Are you talking about Jimmy's in Chicago Heights?